pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joncaster

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 09, 2018, 07:05:29 PM
Just finished this one. Rick Holt's (aka frequencycentral) Superfly, which is an submini version of Doug Hammond's Firefly, built in a 1590A.

Woah, that's next level.
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

Perrow

Quote from: Joncaster on July 10, 2018, 02:43:59 AM
Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 09, 2018, 07:05:29 PM
Just finished this one. Rick Holt's (aka frequencycentral) Superfly, which is an submini version of Doug Hammond's Firefly, built in a 1590A.

Woah, that's next level.

Nah, just a copy cat ;)

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=94741.0

Nice to see someone else tackle (and succeeding with) this build  :D
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Marcos - Munky

Mine isn't next level, just a poorly done copy of Perrow's :icon_lol:

It's indeed a challenging build, not so much space to use and everything must be well planned before the building process. Perrow's work is fully detailed to avoid all that planning, and I was going to use all that info. But since I used russians tube (with different pinouts) I had to do everything from the start, and had to make a few decisions (including no tonestack nor bias switch, since I used a low gain preamp tube) which resulted in a amp different from the initial plannings. The most important things are: 1) it works; 2) I really enjoyed the sound :icon_razz:.

As stated at Perrow's Superfly page: Measure 42 times drill once.

dan.schumaker

Here are a few of mine I've done:
AC-15 build with Mahogany cabinet, dovetailed joints

18 Watt with Cherry Cabinet

Overload Special

Brownface Princeton

Blackface Princeton

stallik

That's some seriously good work there!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Joncaster

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 17, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Here are a few of mine I've done:
AC-15 build with Mahogany cabinet, dovetailed joints

That is beautiful

My Band:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 17, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Overload Special

Brownface Princeton

Blackface Princeton

Hey Dan. How did you do the faceplates on these? Trying to get something like this done for the amp I built. Thanks!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

thermionix

There used to be a place called amplates.com that would make custom faceplates, logos, and even printed grill cloth.  But they quit taking orders according to their site.  No idea if any of the print shops like Fast Signs can do anything similar.  Worst case scenario you can print on paper and put clear plexiglass over it.  It looks okay but the plexi can crack from tightened pot/jack/switch nuts.  Trophy shops can help with some things.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 20, 2018, 01:44:13 PM

Hey Dan. How did you do the faceplates on these? Trying to get something like this done for the amp I built. Thanks!

I do them the same way I do pedals.  These are just clear sticker paper on some aluminum sheet (like this https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/sheet-metal-rods/hillman-reg-aluminum-sheet-metal/11237/p-1444432417564.htm), then clearcoated over.  Super easy to do!

vigilante397

I've been working on this one for a while and it's finally finished enough :P It's a Bogen Challenger 100 that I converted into a 100W bass amp for a friend. He gigs regularly so he wanted it to be a rackmount for easy traveling. The chassis is 1U but the transformers and everything make it 3U tall, so I made a 2U crylic plate with CNC engraved labels and threw an LED strip behind it.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

wavley

I finished up a couple of builds this week.

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

vigilante397

Quote from: wavley on July 30, 2018, 12:01:02 PM
I finished up a couple of INSANELY SEXY builds this week.

Fixed that for you. Really excellent builds, and your guts are neater than mine will ever be 8)

What circuit is this, if you don't mind my asking? EL84's through hemp speakers are my favorite sound in the world ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

wavley

Quote from: vigilante397 on July 30, 2018, 12:35:18 PM
Quote from: wavley on July 30, 2018, 12:01:02 PM
I finished up a couple of INSANELY SEXY builds this week.

Fixed that for you. Really excellent builds, and your guts are neater than mine will ever be 8)

What circuit is this, if you don't mind my asking? EL84's through hemp speakers are my favorite sound in the world ;D

Thanks!

The gutted vaporizer was pretty free form, I threw in a couple turret strips and a ground buss and built from pile of schematics.  Basically it's the power section and PI from the EL84 Traynor YBA-2AB Bass Mate, but cathode biased, and the preamp/tone stack from the Traynor YSR-1 Custom Reverb.  A few tweaks here and there, like using a tweed choke power supply, but with a bridge rectifier.  I built it for Alan from the Findells so he would stop needing to use my modded Vibrolux in the studio and a Blues Deluxe live, it's dark and growly just like it's owner and just loud enough to compete with Paul the drummer.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Joncaster

My Band:

thomasha

Finished another submini amp>

this time running on batteries!

rankot

Lovely, indeed! <3

How many watts? Which tubes did you use?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

thomasha

well...0.3W  and the tubes are the 1J24B and the 1J29B russian subminiature tubes.
Only 35mA filament current in the series string.

thomasha

just made a video to show how it sounds.

In the end I test the high gain/volume setting to show some feedback

sgcoguy

Another Ruby amp....

I've been a lurker on the board for a while and I've built a few DIY pedals, but this is my first attempt at an amp.  It's a ROG Ruby built into a "craft" box.  I used two 3" speakers I had laying around.  I still need to stain the box, but I'm very happy with it.  I was surprised by how easy it was to build and how good it sounds (even with 3" speakers)!

Marcos - Munky

Welcome, sgcoguy. Nice amp, just put something to protect the speakers.