pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

^ that is a thing of beauty.......excellent.  8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vigilante397

Quote from: Galego on March 26, 2020, 09:47:47 AM

There are a lot of things on this forum that are excellent, but this completely blew me away. Absolute perfection.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Galego

Thanks!

Here are some gut shots:

It's a 2x5881 amp, with 1xECC81, 1x5751 and 1xECC83 on the preamp. The amp is pretty simple, but built in a very non simple way. The enclosure is a bread box that I happen to come across at the supermarket and immediately thought it would work great for an amp. I then saw the faders in a picture of the Redd.37 mixer from Abbey Studios and wondered if I would be able to make something like that. This was back in 2017. Then I started gathering the meters, transformers and other parts. About 6 months ago I got to actually design everything and start building it. It has an EM85 tube as a VU meter and since I didn't want a standby switch I made a small circuit inside an octal base with the rectifier and a delayed power on. It has a PIC12f1501 that waits 14 seconds  to switch the power on. That can actually be used in place of any 5U4 rectifier tube. The heatsink was completely unnecessary, the mosfet doesn't get hot from being on all the time...
I spend a really long time on the details, even with the power connector, I would kill myself if I had to put an IEC connector on it. Now I feel a bit sad that it's finished. It was a lot of fun building it.

rankot

Quote from: Galego on March 26, 2020, 02:08:29 PM
Thanks!

Here are some gut shots:

It's a 2x5881 amp, with 1xECC81, 1x5751 and 1xECC83 on the preamp. The amp is pretty simple, but built in a very non simple way. The enclosure is a bread box that I happen to come across at the supermarket and immediately thought it would work great for an amp. I then saw a picture of the Redd.37 mixer from Abbey Studios and wondered if I would be able to make something like that. This was back in 2017. Then I started gathering the meters, transformers and other parts. About 6 months ago I got to actually design everything and start building it. It has an EM85 tube as a VU meter and since I didn't want a standby switch I made a small circuit inside an octal base with the rectifier and a delayed power on. It has a PIC12f1501 that waits 14 seconds  to switch the power on. That can actually be used in place of any 5U4 rectifier tube. The heatsink was completely unnecessary, the mosfet doesn't get hot from being on all the time...
I spend a really long time on the details, even with the power connector, I would kill myself if I had to put an IEC connector on it. Now I feel a bit sad that it's finished. It was a lot of fun building it.

This is SOOO INSANELY BEAUTIFUL!!!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Galego

Quote from: rankot on March 26, 2020, 06:43:57 PM
This is SOOO INSANELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Here are some more pictures.

patrick398

Quote from: Galego on March 26, 2020, 09:47:47 AM

:icon_eek:  Good lord man!

This is a work of art. I buy old signal generators and build things into them because i love how they look, so obviously this is right up my street. Part of me resents effects pedals because they're so damn small

Superb work!

Marcos - Munky

I finished this one while on social isolation. Soldano GTO with the output section of the Superfly. The high voltage of 150V, adjusted (by ear), cames from an smps. The pots are gain and volume, the initial idea was to have a passive tone pot but I didn't liked the result so much and decided to remove it. The enclosure is from an old pc lan router.

rockola

vigilante397

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on April 27, 2020, 09:40:06 PM
Soldano GTO with the output section of the Superfly.

I've thought about doing exactly this, basically get like a 1/4W high-gain amp. How is it?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 28, 2020, 11:36:27 AM
I've thought about doing exactly this, basically get like a 1/4W high-gain amp. How is it?
Well, think on something with more gain than a JCM800 but less than a Mesa Boogie.

That said, it sounds very similar to the GTO pedal and, plugged in a 4x12 cab, it's loud! I didn't went past 1/3 of the volume pot for bedroom playing. Don't expect clean sounds out of it (well, you probably isn't :icon_twisted:), but it indeed sounds good on lower gain settings. And great on hi gain settings.

Mine have two "issues". It was originally planned to fit a 1590B, so space limitation was something I should keep in mind, so I had to make the smps as small as possible. That means the filtering is not so good and the amp is a little bit noisy when at higher gain and volume settings, but nothing that annoys me. In fact, I wasn't expecting a dead quiet amp from a high gain circuit powered by two switching power supplies (the smps and a 12V wall wart), and it ended a little bit noisy but less than I was expecting. But it surely could be better with a better HV filtering. The 2nd issue is I found out it have a little bit more of mids than I like, but a tone pot/stack quickly solve this one.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

Galego

Quote from: rockola on April 28, 2020, 02:30:54 AM
Those pots are just too much. Is that beech?

Not sure. I used a cutting board that I thought look nice, but I'm not too familiar with wood types...

diydave

My "Covid-19" pre-amp.  8)
Pre-amp section from the jcm800, but with two switchable channels.
Tubes: 2 x 12ax7's.
Old-School (transformer, components soldered on tube-feet and solderlugs, wires everywhere,...) meets modern.
Channel-switching is done with a microcontroller, relays and a mute-circuit (an optocoupler). The signal-line mutes during the time the relays switch from a to b. So no pops.

slimjohnny

This is the first ever amp i built.
It´s a 30W solid state

tubelectron

Hello All - I've been off for some time...  :icon_confused:

At the favour of isolation I could finally finish my Serial Tone Killer amp project which... Was lagging for nearly five years... :icon_redface:

SPECS :

- selectable power output modes : 5W / 15W / 30W / 90WRMS clean tone.
- footswitchable overdrive, booster, reverb and FX Loop facilities.
- Jazz (more Fendery) and Rock (more Marshally) tailored tone modes.
- low-level FX Loop (-10dBm) stompboxes compliant.
- integrated 4x9VDC DC regulated PSU facility.
- integrated EXH Holy Grail Nano reverb unit.
-  3x 12AX7/ECC83 + 4x Tung-Sol NOS JAN-6L6WGB/5881.
- dimensions (WxHxD= 530x480x260mm.
- weight : 28.5kg, including FSW, cords, padded cover.

Oh, and a custom cart to carry it - due to its anvil weight :

:icon_mrgreen:

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

tubelectron

For the time I'm here  :icon_wink:... I rehoused another one in a small 8" cab - 22WRMS output clean tone / reverb / FSWable booster :

Powerful and small (but as heavy  ???) vs. a SF Princeton Reverb :

And vs. one of our Mates, Mr Balthazar  :icon_smile: :

Plus retouching some cosmetics and electronics details on its 25WPMS  12" grandbrother (fixed/cathode bias switch), still operational since 1993 :

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

stallik

Just thought I'd mention that Barry at Ampmaker is back after 18 months away. His new site http://www.ampmaker.com Looks like it'll be ready for Monday's relaunch. No affiliation, I've built a couple of his kits and am looking forward to doing another
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

That's good news, Kevin.  Not that my amp backlog needs any further burden...   :icon_rolleyes:   (Got a P1ex to finish first!)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

ok, not a custom built amp.... ::)

my long suffering roland needed a facelift....so recovered it,

added a power switch on top....another switch to leave the speaker on or off when headphones are plugged in for recording purposes....and the other switch turns on a string of neopixel leds that go around the face under the grill that have an ATINY programmed to do rainbow colours..which i can interupt to get what any colour i fancy via a rotary on the back...hence why i painted the front white to reflect the light better.... :icon_mrgreen:

if anyone fancies recovering their old battered roland i have the templates ok..i used 4 panels. not 1 single piece.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 04, 2020, 07:55:55 AM
....and the other switch turns on a string of neopixel leds that go around the face under the grill that have an ATINY programmed to do rainbow colours

Anyone would think you've been getting bored during lockdown, Rob?   ;D

Nice job.   8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...