pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

^ yup....got lots of little jobs ive been putting off done during this virus bs....and then creating other little jobs to avoid the other little jobs i should of done... :icon_mrgreen:

but my poor long suffering roland was looking sad...so into surgery he went ;D

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

BTW, what covering and adhesive did you use, Rob?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Hi man, i used 1mm thick faux leather...bought on ebay....

And ALLFIX spray adhesive...heavy duty.....good stuff.

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

temol

1x12 cab with Celestion FX12-200 inside. Nice and compact. So far tested only on apartment levels, with Axe-Fx and D-class amp.

EBK

I have built a 2×3 cigar box combo amp:

I'm not a woodworker or an amp builder, really, so this project took quite a long time.  I'm proud of the result though.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on January 18, 2021, 11:34:53 AM
I have built a 2×3 cigar box combo amp:

Well that looks freaking great, nicely done! As a fellow non-woodworker/non-amp builder I think it looks way better than anything I could do :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

I agree with Nathan, both in the "it lokks great" and the "better than anything I can do".

What is the circuit?

EBK

Thanks!

The circuit is a "Bassman mod" Ruby.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Nice circuit choice. The bassman ruby is the best sounding 386 amp imo.

EBK

I finished another cigar box combo amp.  This time, it's a 1×5.  Again, I'm not a woodworker, and I found the baffle especially tricky (I resisted saying "baffling"), but I'm proud of this build, and I think my skills are improving. Now, I just need to buy some real tools.  :icon_wink:

The circuit is the same as my last one, a Bassman mod Ruby, so I can compare them better.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Nice job, Eric.  I like the reveal at the back.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on February 17, 2021, 05:11:53 PM
Nice job, Eric.  I like the reveal at the back.   :icon_cool:
Thanks!  I wanted a closed back cabinet, but I needed another 1mm or so box depth for that to be possible.  The circular cutout was the compromise.  I'm getting pretty good at cutting circles in thin plywood with a hobby knife.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

This one is even better looking than the 1st one! So, which one sounds better? And how's battery life on both of them? I suppose it won't last too long on this 1x15.

EBK

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on February 17, 2021, 05:55:38 PM
This one is even better looking than the 1st one! So, which one sounds better? And how's battery life on both of them? I suppose it won't last too long on this 1x15.
Thanks!  This one sounds more full than the last one, but I'll break the speaker in a bit before rendering a verdict. No idea on the battery life--a few hours, maybe? It's 5-inch, not 15-inch.  :icon_wink:

Edit:  Now that I have had a chance to play this amp "at volume", I can say that I like it a lot.  Comparing it to my previous amp, this one sounds much bigger and much more like a guitar amp, if that makes any sense.
Like my previous cigar box amp, this box does bloom nicely with a simple cleanish boost pedal in front of it (I like it with my MBP Donut, which is based on the EHX LPB-1), but I like it unboosted as well.  (Note, I'm not talking aggressive overdrive here--more of a firm, yet gentle, push.)
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

great looking lil amp eric....nice.  8)

stop smoking lots of cigars just so you can build amps ;D

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: EBK on February 17, 2021, 06:00:59 PM
It's 5-inch, not 15-inch.  :icon_wink:
This is what happens when you don't sleep too much. You have to smoke a lot of cigars to get a box that fits a 15" speaker :icon_lol:

Quote from: EBK on February 17, 2021, 06:00:59 PM
Edit:  Now that I have had a chance to play this amp "at volume", I can say that I like it a lot.  Comparing it to my previous amp, this one sounds much bigger and much more like a guitar amp, if that makes any sense.
That makes lots of sense. A bigger speaker makes a huge difference. And since you liked it so much, imo it won't hurt to add a dc jack, to save the batteries when playing at home.

EBK

Quote from: deadastronaut on February 18, 2021, 05:23:59 AM
great looking lil amp eric....nice.  8)

stop smoking lots of cigars just so you can build amps ;D

Thanks!  I could build a healthier looking amp, I suppose.  I still have this laying around just begging to become an amp chassis someday:

I'd definitely pay someone to punch the holes though.  Steel is no fun at all to manipulate without the right tools.

Here's a pic of my complete cigar box series:

I've had lots of fun making these!
  • SUPPORTER

Gattoconglistivali

It's a hybrid, with a 12au7 preamp and a TDA2030 power amp

Thank to semiconductor technology, we can have a 15w power amp that takes no space.

EBK

I thought I was done making cigar box amps, but I found this nice Cuban box, and it will (barely) fit one of those 5-in. Jensen guitar speakers that I used in my last build.

So, it looks like I will eventually build another tiny amp.  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Love the box joints and finish on that one. Eric, do you put any bracing inside, say at the corners from front to back? How do you support the baffles?
  • SUPPORTER