pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: Ben N on April 08, 2021, 05:27:40 AM
Love the box joints and finish on that one. Eric, do you put any bracing inside, say at the corners from front to back? How do you support the baffles?
No additional bracing.  For the Corona box, the baffle is simply held in place by the speaker bolts.  For the Rothchilde box, the baffle is held by two bamboo chopsticks on the vertical sides, which are glued in place. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

My Cuban cigar box amp is finished.  :icon_cool:

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Bunkey

Those do look awesome EBK. How do you find the 5" Jensen?
They have different stickers over here  :icon_cool:

I think I put it in too big of a box though.

...just riffing.

EBK

Thanks!  I really like the 5-in. Jensen speakers a lot.  For a very tiny speaker, I think they sound terrific.  Not a fantastic sound, but a pleasantly-surprising grin-inducing experience.
  • SUPPORTER

Bunkey

Quote from: EBK on May 19, 2021, 04:26:47 PM
Thanks!  I really like the 5-in. Jensen speakers a lot.  For a very tiny speaker, I think they sound terrific.  Not a fantastic sound, but a pleasantly-surprising grin-inducing experience.
I was pulled in by the heft of that magnet :icon_lol:
It's the same size they use on the 25w 12" !

The C6V is a mighty impressive speaker.
...just riffing.

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on May 19, 2021, 01:48:46 PM

Brilliant job, Eric.  Bravo!   8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Ben N

Quote from: EBK on May 19, 2021, 01:48:46 PM
Like the hair on a werewolf drinking a piƱa colada at Trader Vic's, that is *perfect*, Eric.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun working with cigar boxes.  The Cuban box is my favorite one of the bunch.  Here is the updated line up.

My skills have definitely improved over time.  I need better tools though.  I'm still doing most of it with a hobby knife.
  • SUPPORTER

Bunkey

Quote from: EBK on May 26, 2021, 08:07:34 AM
I had a lot of fun working with cigar boxes. Here is the updated line up.

A rather open question but... how they all compare? Do they sound very different between speaker configuration and size?

I really like the black with the Vox weve, the finish to the cuban is excellent too - tidy internals and copper tape is a nice touch.
...just riffing.

EBK

Quote from: Bunkey on May 26, 2021, 08:48:27 AM
A rather open question but... how they all compare? Do they sound very different between speaker configuration and size?
The Camaroon on the far left sounds like it looks: small.  Very thin, tinny sound.  With the lid on, it does fatten up a bit, but not enough.  It actually has the most powerful amp of the bunch, but it is driving a very light speaker.

The Carona still sounds small, but is much better with a boost pedal in front of it.  The speakers were from the center channel of an inexpensive home theater surround system.  A functional little amp, but I wouldn't want to listen to it all day long.  If you flap the lid open and closed while playing, you get a nice wah sound as a bonus.

The Rothchilde (Vox styling) and Cohiba (Cuban) amps actually sound very nice for their size!  Much credit to the Jensen speakers in those.  Surprisingly full, rich sound--not massively loud, of course.  The Cuban amp has better bass response, possibly due to the slightly deeper cabinet, more solid baffle, or intact rear wall (I'm not an amp expert, so these are just my guesses). 
  • SUPPORTER

Bunkey

Quote from: EBK on May 26, 2021, 10:05:10 AM
The Rothchilde (Vox styling) and Cohiba (Cuban) amps actually sound very nice for their size!  Much credit to the Jensen speakers in those.  Surprisingly full, rich sound--not massively loud, of course.  The Cuban amp has better bass response, possibly due to the slightly deeper cabinet, more solid baffle, or intact rear wall (I'm not an amp expert, so these are just my guesses).

Ah I found the same thing with the baffle on the Jensen - I thought possibly because there's so much weight to it relative to its size, it needs a little more bracing to behave well.
The smaller/lighter speaker pairs I've tried sounded better with a slightly thinner floating baffle - the added resonance filling out the sound a bit; how sympathetically would depend on the baffle area but tuned baffles are getting quite complex for such a novelty!

No I'm no expert either but I find the miniature combo an appealing concept. Your lineup looks great.
...just riffing.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on May 26, 2021, 08:07:34 AM
Here is the updated line up.

One question: How are your lungs after all that? ;)

EBK

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 26, 2021, 03:18:51 PM
One question: How are your lungs after all that? ;)

Mine are perfectly healthy.  I built these with the help and blessings of some less healthy folks.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Test amp for my woodworking bench. Entirely made from stuff in the junk (it'll come in useful one day) pile.
Noisy cricket 2, speaker from a Phillips valve record player, oak leftover from the kids flooring, grill cloth from my old Roost amp - replaced 20 years ago

I give you the squirrel...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Thank you Marc. They're actually not all that good but they seem to be getting better each time I try. Still getting used to a dovetail router jig I bought a few years back. So easy for the bit to tear out extra wood when the grain goes every which way. Learned to keep fine sawdust. That and some glue fixes all manner of mistakes ;D
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Ben N

Quote from: stallik on July 19, 2021, 11:04:40 AM
Test amp for my woodworking bench. Entirely made from stuff in the junk (it'll come in useful one day) pile.
Noisy cricket 2, speaker from a Phillips valve record player, oak leftover from the kids flooring, grill cloth from my old Roost amp - replaced 20 years ago

I give you the squirrel...

That's an amp even my wife would allow in the living room (salon, for you non-Americans)!
  • SUPPORTER

Toy Sun

Love the thinness. That would sit so nice against the wall in the "salon".

stallik

Thanks. The depth of the cab is made possible by the speaker and it doesn't take much space on the workbench. However, it sounds rather boxy if it's right up against the wall. It needs a little space to allow it to breathe