pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubelectron

Quote from: Ben N on March 26, 2023, 09:05:32 AM
I thought grounding the input jacks was the first thing anybody ever did to a Danelectro.

Not even needed !  ;D

T
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

Ben N

Quote from: tubelectron on March 27, 2023, 05:00:55 AM
Quote from: Ben N on March 26, 2023, 09:05:32 AM
I thought grounding the input jacks was the first thing anybody ever did to a Danelectro.

Not even needed !  ;D

T
What, no noise?
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

It's March. Time of year for the power tube in my WF-55 to fail and me to make what's become a diary entry on this thread.

Right on cue, it started popping & crackling so looked round the back and, sure enough,it's glowing blue. Replaced it and all is fine. Then I decided a picture might be useful so grabbed the old tube out of the bin and shoved it back in.

Had believed that the blue glow signified an issue but maybe not? It certainly didn't glow blue when it was new. I can't see any red plating. Anyway, no popping so far with the 'bad' tube. It's working and sounding fine. Let's see how much longer it lasts...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

That blue is pretty wild.  Has Kate been photoshopping your pictures?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

That's straight off the iPhone. Mind you, the sensors in most phones extend well beyond human vision - that's why they're great for testing remotes ;)

Pic was handheld, long exposure stabilised by the little green men who live in the phone.

Wish I had access to that technology when I was a young pro photographer. How the world moves on...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Phend

Neat photo stallik, suitable for framing.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

davent

Neat fun toys now but really nothing has changed, it still all comes down to the skills of the person with the toys, whatever the toys may be.

Cool picture!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

PRR

Blue glow on the inside surface of the glass is harmless. Stray electrons (normally normal) and impurities in the glass.

The stray electrons *may* vary with bias. Does that amp (WTF is WF-55?) act like its voltages are unstable? Do your lights flicker? When poltergeists visit??

Blue glow in the space between electrodes is normally gas-glow which is normally run-away fatal.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

For Paul: WF-55 is a 5F1-alike from Ampmaker in the UK.  I built one of these too.  Nice little amp.  Not running blue just yet...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Amp maker has now closed its doors indefinitely but the website hangs on atm

stallik

Found last years JJ 6L6GC in my glass recycling bin so grabbed it for the following photo shoot.

Without doubt, my iPhone sensor magnifies the vibrance of the blue glow. In this montage, the NOS Brimar 6L6GC clearly shows some glow which is (almost) invisible to the naked eye. Pictures are taken in very dim ambient lighting conditions - in full room light, even the filaments are as dim as a Toc H lamp

Hardly a diagnostic tool but fun anyway

Noticed that the grid resistor (originally a 1 watt 10k and raised to a 2 watt version last year?) is discolouring again. This probably has a bearing on all this so I'll order a 5 watt replacement as recommended by Willienille 4 years ago  :icon_redface:

PRR

Quote from: stallik on March 14, 2024, 07:25:24 AM...the grid resistor (originally a 1 watt 10k and raised to a 2 watt version last year?) is discolouring again.

The screen grid resistor? 2 Watts in 10K means 14mA which means you are beating the snot out of that 6V6. I know that's a great sound. But if you need it reliable (playing for rent) I'd think about 5K 2W there and change up the 100r for 470R 5W (similar to cathode resistor) to drop plate-abuse and buzz/hum.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Thanks Paul. The resistor I'm referring to is R11. I've temporarily replaced it with another 2w 10k (5w version should arrive next week)

Made a modification this morning before seeing your post. R9 (Cathode resistor?) was 330r and Ive replaced it with a 470r. This lowered the plate dissipation from 17.7w to 14.7w Not sure if this will help the tube longevity or whether I have a different issue which is beyond my paygrade to diagnose

I'm using a 6L6gc and have linked pins 1 and 8 on the tube socket as well as increasing C3 to 22uf/63v as per the kit build instructions