pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

i'd go with staining too...but a nice blue/green..and put those metal corner protectors on there....nice build.. :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

CrazyTrain

That's my own 5W class A amp with two 10" Celestions inside.

phector2004

Who needs tweed when you've got corduroy?  :P

Looks great!

Ben N

That does look nice, but isn't your significant other pissed about the couch?

Two 10s for 5 watts? Interesting.
  • SUPPORTER

Greenmachine

I've got a champ with two 8" speakers.  Like it a lot.

jeffers6356

found a WWII navy battle lantern in my stepdad's garage...promptly turned it into a ruby. kept the scratched, crappy paintjob and the original toggle switch. added a 5in speaker where the light was and added a toggle switch on the side to switch between the speaker and the output. i was really surprised this actually turned out. it started as a joke and came together in just a few hrs. the speaker fits perfectly too.

Perrow

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

kurtlives

About two years ago I built a Dumble ODS #124. At the time I finished the build I didn't have much time to tweak it, build a head cab for it and get a speaker cab for the amp.

Over the last two years I managed to build a head cab (two summers ago) and this summer I built a 112 cab for the amp. The last week I have had time to tolex the speaker cab with my winter break starting. Over the past few months I also got to look back on the amp, fix a few errors and tweak it a bit.

The build is fairly standard. Minus a few things...
- 50W output section
- 3 way bright switch, polystyrene caps. 110pF-off-50pF
- Correct polarity on presence cap
- Audio taper on both Level and Ratio controls
- Glaswreck's PAB mod, 470K+33nF in series with 22M PAB resistor
- 5.6K MF NFB resistor, using 8R load
- 350K OD trimmer set 96.9K from wiper to ground

Voltages spot on, 437V on 6L6GC's plates. 286V/294V on the PI. 190V on clean and 200V on OD.

Running Winged =C='s in the output section now, biased around 48mA. Liked these over the TAD, Ruby and NOS JAN 6L6GC's I tried. Gotta play with the bias a bit and find the sweet spot.

- V1 is an old RCA 12AX7
- V2 is a Mullard reissue
- V3 is a 7025 pull from an old BF Twin
Gotta swap some tubes a bit more and really dial in the tone and get her singing. Should be fun, looking forward to this!

The speaker cab is a 112 ported back cabinet. Built from baltic birch with box joints. Running a 12" Eminence Delta Pro in it.

As for the tone, so far so good! #124 is defiantly a great amp for strats (all I really play). Very sweet tones and nice and balanced too. Beautiful rich clean tone. And the OD just rips, super smooth yet just enough bite. I really think the slightly attenuated high end of the Delta Pro helps this setup.

Anyways here's some pictures...

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

tasos

Now that's imposing! ;D

(I love google translate! ::) )

Greenmachine

birt

http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

richon

just finished this experiment...

12ax7 preamp (with classic blackface vibroverb fender EQ) with a 25K mid pot  (wicked)
12at7 as PI
5881 Tung Sol (x2)  with 455 as plate voltages
and all Classic Tone transformers...

sounds awesome!!!
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

richon

Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

BillyWhizz!!

ThunderBird based on AX84.com design

Started out as just a speaker cab build (don't they all) a little christmas project... I was so pleased with the result
I thought I might just use up the spare materials to turn one of my old combo amps into a head unit. then I thought
nah just build a new valve amp yaself.... Here it is..... only problem is that I still have stuff leftover from the builds
Now let me think....... oh no here we go again.........  

JacktheRiffer

Quote from: BillyWhizz!! on February 24, 2012, 07:19:06 PM

Started out as just a speaker cab build (don't they all) a little christmas project... I was so pleased with the result
I thought I might just use up the spare materials to turn one of my old combo amps into a head unit. then I thought
nah just build a new valve amp yaself.... Here it is..... only problem is that I still have stuff leftover from the builds
Now let me think....... oh no here we go again.........  

Is that a complete custom design for the internals?

BillyWhizz!!

Quote from: JacktheRiffer on February 25, 2012, 12:04:46 AM
Quote from: BillyWhizz!! on February 24, 2012, 07:19:06 PM

Is that a complete custom design for the internals?

The circuit is by AX84.com High Octane. I wired the circuit from the schematic not the layout diagram, which would have been too big for the box. it looks a bit messy
because the amp uses a universal hammond 369ex for a 230V supply and leaves un-used cables which I could not bring myself to cut, just in case.. I would have liked a
longer tag board to space the components out a bit. The only changes from the AX84 circuit is on the lighting, instead of using a filament lamp I have used cheaper Led's the
supply for which is taken from the 6.3V output to the valves and wired onto the end of the line using half wave rectification and a current limiting resistor and while i was at
it I fitted a red high bright led to shine into the head to give it a nice glow when on. These are my mods and have not been tested for safety

BillyWhizz!!

Quote from: tasos on February 25, 2012, 03:14:18 AM
Stunning!
Diy can get so addicting! ;D
thanks for the comment  :icon_biggrin: well pleased with it