pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychedelicfish

Where did you get that enclosure from? It looks like it could be pretty cool for a sub mini amp build
If at first you don't succeed... use bigger transistors!

peterg

Thanks John. You've got first prize on sturdy amp builds though. How heavy is your former staircase amp?

Quote from: psychedelicfish on November 17, 2013, 09:28:27 PM
Where did you get that enclosure from? It looks like it could be pretty cool for a sub mini amp build

I was thinking that myself! The case is from my local electonic shop. Generic no name import. Hammond have similar ones.  

Jdansti

Quote from: peterg on November 17, 2013, 09:40:37 PM
Thanks John. You've got first prize on sturdy amp builds though. How heavy is your former staircase amp?

The bathroom scale puts it at 11lb. It's not the heaviest amp in the world, but considering that it's 11"x11"x4.5", I should have said it is very dense.

What amazes me is how great the speaker sounds. It's an 8", 8Ω, 25W no name speaker that I bought from the local mom and pop guitar store for $10. The only thing I know about its history is it came from a small amp.

I'll bet that your opposing dual speakers give you room-filling sound (and they appear to be in phase, which is a good thing ;)).  I also notice that you can run it on battery or adapter, which is nice.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

smurfedelic smurfberry

that noisy cricket looks so great!

here's mine, a bit lower ambition level. i love it, although the lm386 i have goes crazy with self oscillation if i use an ac/dc converter though

Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

Jdansti

Nice one, Petter!  Good colors and the writing looks great on the black box. If I tried that it would look like a three year old wrote it!
  • SUPPORTER

smurfedelic smurfberry

thanks! yeah, when it comes to black plastic enclosures, i pretty much have to pull out the posca pens unless i want to repaint, and that's not something i'm too eager to do w/ plastic.
Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

Seljer

I finally boxed this up. Not much of a box but the circuit works nicely  :D . Its a Ruby amp but with two LM386 chips like the Little Gem MK2 so it gets pretty loud with a 10" guitar speaker, more than enough to annoy the neighbours.

Jdansti

^Well done!  I've done a couple of Noisy Crickets, but now I need to take a look at the Little Gem. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Coolcat007

This is my latest build. A JTM45 with some small modifications according to the clients' wishes.

mikeford

This is my "bench" amp.

I had my good buddy help me with the birch box, as he is bad@ss with a saw. The speaker grills were from a small brass bird cage that i re-engineered. The oval w/numbers is from a medical thingy.
(I repair med gear for my steady job.) You may notice a wad o wire there. That is a wall wart I had to put in because  the 9v kept dying every other week!

The top is from a brass fireplace took stand. the handles I got from a flea market, The jewel lamp was from a mass order at Arizona antique radio supply.(i think.)
Those knobs w/the shell inlay were from a parts dealer on E-bay.
Here it is with a little lap guitar I built for my daughter.

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

mikeford

Quote from: Jdansti on January 10, 2014, 04:36:18 PM
Cool builds, Mike! :icon_cool:
Thanks,Jdan! That dead astro reverb you did is NICE!(it is on the list, notwithstanding lack of funds!)
I got piles of brass,copper,stainless steel junk I collected over the years..
My buddy Alex over ay getlof.comi posted some of my stuff on his site  years ago and next thing I know, MAKE magazine does an article on my work.
Also, futureretro mag. over in the UK gave me a nice writeup!
I got Fame,but no cash! :(
I was building steampunk before i knew there was even steampunk art movement around. LOL!
(see youtube link in profile for demos)

Jdansti

Thanks, Mike. Your post reminds me of a Barbara Mandrell song. "I was steampunk when steampunk wasn't cool".  ;D
  • SUPPORTER

smurfedelic smurfberry

Suitcase Speaker Cab

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: smurfedelic smurfberry on January 11, 2014, 03:24:23 PM
Suitcase Speaker Cab

I think I just found a use for an old ABS case with a busted catch!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Shoeman

Here's my Firefly.   Testing stage, chassis not mounted. 

And finished.   You can just see the Boost Switch poking up in the back.  Controls face up at the back of the top panel. 

Geoff
Cheap guitars, homemade amps and garage rock technique.  But I have fun.

therealfindo

smurfedelic smurfberry

AMPhetamine.

And with that, I'm think I've exhausted that concept. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's a smokey amp with volume control that i crammed in there.

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER