pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Hoffman

I still have a LOT to learn about using a bending break - even one as cheap and shoddy as mine. Not sure if I'm going to use the aluminum preamp section shown here, or if I might decide to go with the steel one I also made. I know they used aluminum in the old AC30's, but they had their transformers mounted in such a way as to support the preamp chassis. On the other hand, if I stick with the aluminum, I'll only have to get the power amp chassis plated (the steel I'm using is mild steel, which is to say it will turn into rust in about a week - not what I want at ALL). The steel one turned out a bit better, though, so there is that, too.

Gabriel

gtudoran

2 channels + boost / all tube guitar amp / 2xEL34 / 3x12AX7

davent

Posted this at beans last night, nothing more to add...

Hundred dollar challenge at Wattkins, could they do a tube amp using new off the shelf parts, except for the obsolete tubes and sockets, for less then $100. Evolved into the 'Savage Croaker' (their name) which uses a 6u8 Triode/pentode preamp and a 6aq5 (mini 6v6) power amp.

Started this four years ago at the same time i started it's 'civil' twin, an Octal One with 6aq5, uses the same power supply i contrived as well as the same component values around the 6aq5. Did the eyelet/tube board in 2011, the PCB's were done in early 2012, painting the chassis took years of stops and starts. Many bad ideas and corners to squeeze out of.

Much louder then the Octal One. Power supply voltage doubles the 120v secondary of the HV transformer then splits to a power scaled circuit for the power amp and 230v regulator for the preamp which has seperate feeds for the triode and pentode sections of the 6u8. Tried something different for the heaters, uhave same current demand so put them in series and current regulated the dc heater supply with an LM317 to 350mA.

Cut the top stencil from frisket film, tried black on black first, no good, redone with white, legending done with dilute gouache paint and a lining/ruling pen. Sprayed with the waterbased sanding sealer, counterpoint to the lacquer i use and it turned the chassis milky/hazy and crazed. After hiding the belt sander packed things away for awhile to breath and wait for my first inclination to pass. Figured i had one chance at redemption, painted the steciled letters with liquid frisket, loaded the lining pen with the liquid frisket and traced over the legending. Reshot with as much black as i could and still be able to see the silver checkerboard... belt sander can stay packed, it worked ok.

Extremely quiet, much louder then the Octal One, great crunch, haven't found the clean yet, few quibbles to sort out but pretty decent and another project off the backlog that has to be eliminated before moving on to something new.

Mostly power supply not much for the actual amp. Mode is a rotary switch that controls the tone stack and a gain cap on a preamp stage- neither/either or both.

Cheers
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Govmnt_Lacky

THAT is F'n IMPRESSIVE Dave!!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:  :o  :o
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

alanp

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 16, 2014, 12:41:58 PM
THAT is F'n IMPRESSIVE Dave!!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:  :o  :o

+1 on this, but -- where is the beautiful art on the circuit boards?! ;) ;)

davent

Thanks very much guys, the feedback is always appreciated!

Alan, was during my minimalist/splatter phase.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Greenmachine

wildebelor

This is one half of my full stack I'm building at the moment!
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

DirkM

100W Hybrid Power Amplifier  ;D Only one tube and two power mosfets in the signal path.

The module will soon find a housing.

wildebelor

Dirk, I would be very interested in trying that out through a few preamps I've developed!

kwijibo

Do you have a heatsink? Not really 100W amplifier without it

thomasha

After seen all this gorgeous amps I finally finished my biggest amp so far!

After some submini projects, and a Hi octane, here is my marshall inspired amp:
I tried a switchable JCM/JTM preamp, but it's in fact a cascade/parallel switch.
Power and PI amp uses two ECL82, based on IALL10.5 project.
A friend made the wooden cabinet, and I asked Him to maintain the original appearence

Cheers,
Thomas

davent

^Thomas, you two make a great team! Looks terrific inside and out!
dave

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

G. Hoffman

(Definitely NOT done.  And I very much have to rewire the preamp heaters.)

Gabriel

Mac Walker

2 x 12 cabinet I built, ampeg/fenderish but with Hiwatt style tolex

Had a difficult time stretching the grill cloth, really needs to be redone.  Don't know if a stretching jig would help, or not.

wildebelor

Hey Mac, I would totally recommend a heat gun or even a hairdryer on the grill cloth!
It helps a whole lot to tighten it and bring it up to what you're looking for  :icon_mrgreen:

Mac Walker

Cool, thanks, found the tdpri thread...

vigilante397

For some reason this thread wouldn't come up when I searched for it, but I was graciously directed here after I posted this in the pictures thread. Unfortunately I can't take all the credit for this one as it is more of a re-box than a build. A gentleman purchased a Blackstar HT-1R from the music store I worked at and promptly fried it trying "a sweet mod I found on the internet." Either Blackstar has a liberal warranty or a guy in their claims department messed up because they sent him a new one and we took the old one. My boss said that he didn't want me spending company time fixing it since we had already been paid for it, so he let me take it home. I'm not really sure what he was trying to do, but it really just needed a new fuse and LED (apparently when that is shot it interrupts the flow of everything else and the amp stops working). And while I'm not an amazing engineer I like to think I make up for it in the aesthetics department. So I re-boxed it with the tubes up top hot-rod style, took out the overdrive channel as I much prefer my pedals, and it is now my go-to home practice and recording amp  :icon_twisted:

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com