signal split question

Started by AM, April 07, 2010, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AM

I'm building a tremolo pedal and I have a question regarding the signal after the pedal than the pedal itself.
Signal goes like this:
                                                                                                                    I--->Delay input 1
guitar--->ACTIVE buffered volume pedal--->True bypass overdrive--->tremolo--I
                                                                                                                    I--->Delay input 2

So far I used to split the signal from mono to stereo by using the two outputs of a Line 6 Tap Tremolo pedal. My new built will replace this pedal and it's designed to have only one output.
Do I need a buffer at the output of the the new tremolo to split the signal to stereo? Since the signal is buffered anyway right at the beginning of the chain by the active volume pedal (which is always on) would a Y adaptor jack at the tremolo's output suffice?

jkokura

I'd like to know this too.

My question is if you want an identical signal output, or if you want a 'ping-pong' type effect? As far as I know, you don't need to run a Y adaptor, you could just run two jacks in parallel from the output of the switch if you want identical signal. If you're wanting a stereo effect, that's a much different thing.

Jacob

GibsonGM

You can just try a Y cord, but to "do it right" you might want to consider a buffer at the output of the trem, just to keep the output impedance down and keep the signals from interfering with each other or loading the trem circuit.   There is a nice JFET A/B/Y splitter configuration over at AMZ that would do this nicely!!  Just use 2 sections of it. 

You won't get stereo this way, only 2 identical signals going into your delay...real stereo consists of a phase delay and is a little more involved...   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

AM

I want to feed BOTH inputs of my Boss DD6 so I don't get ping pong delay.
From the DD6's two outputs I run two cables to two different amps. I basically want to get my delay settings going to each amp in the same way and NOT get ping pong or any other fancy stuff I get if I only run the signal into only one input of the DD6.
At the same time, I'm trying to keep buffers at a minimum. One at the very beginning (provided by the active volume pedal) and one at the very end (provided by the DD6).
This is why I was wondering if it is correct practice to split the signal after the tremolo using a Y-cord and not insert one more buffer there.

GibsonGM

Couldn't tell you what the 'correct practice' is, since most pedal designers don't do a good job, and there aren't any real standards!    You could just try the Y cord and see if you like the results, since it won't hurt anything.  IMHO, "correct practice" would mean using a JFET splitter to buffer each output, but that could be overkill for something simple like this.

My thoughts on this are that all that really matters is, "what is the output impedance of the trem? Can it drive both inputs without 'crosstalk' and attenuation?  What would happen if I grounded one of the delay's inputs, would that stop the ping pong?".

Adding the buffer is always an option after you test how things sound... just my 2c.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

AM

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 08, 2010, 10:20:10 AM
Couldn't tell you what the 'correct practice' is, since most pedal designers don't do a good job, and there aren't any real standards!

I've witnessed this a few times. My electric mistress for example has a dry out which is nothing more than an output jack connected straight to the input.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the shop and get a Y plug and experiment. Unless if somebody chimes in during the weekend and say "don't do it" I'll get to the shop on Monday and gat the plug and try it.