i miss my DOD Grunge pedal.

Started by pazuzu, April 09, 2010, 12:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pazuzu

man, distortion sounds are sooo arbitrary, and i was comparing the new one to my memory of the one i had 10 years ago, so who knows maybe nothing? i'd be willing to bet it is just the quality of the components though.

pazuzu

i got it today, and it does indeed sound different, unfortunately it sound no where near as good as i remember. i busted it open and had a look and there are no micro components so i'd bet that's the difference, since everything put out now uses them.

pazuzu

here's a gut shot for anyone interested:

Brymus

OK you have got me curious after looking at the schematic you posted and the gut shot...
What are the ICs ?(cant tell from photo) and the 9 Qs ?
Does the pedal you have correspond to the schematic you posted ?
And just a thought you could up-grade some of the components on the pedal you just got,and if its fairly old some of the caps might actually need to be replaced anyway.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

pazuzu

all q's are 2n5088, except q1, 2, and 4, which are j201.

the 8 pin ic's read 456OD, and the 14 pin reads MC14007UBCP
                                                                        FKR9807

sorry, i have never built with ic's except for a cricket, so i'm not really familiar with them, as far as the schem i found i think it's the same one.

Brymus

Thanks,for that
I count 13 100k resistors in your pic but only 10 of them on the schematic.
Maybe I am making a mistake in counting or checking the color bands,if not then something is different,IDK
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

zombiwoof

I think a possible reason that the pedal doesn't sound like you remember is that it may have gone through a number of revisions, even slight ones, that changed the sound.  It's possible that only the certain version you had at the time sounded the way you like.  I know with many pedals that have been around for some time, companies change the IC type, and component values/types for many reasons, which may change the sound some.  Look at the different versions of the Boss DS-1, which has had I think five different chips in it, and players seem to like one or the other.

Good luck, I hope you can find one that sounds like your original one.

Al

Dan N

Quote from: Brymus on April 20, 2010, 12:49:50 AM
Thanks,for that
I count 13 100k resistors in your pic but only 10 of them on the schematic.
Maybe I am making a mistake in counting or checking the color bands,if not then something is different,IDK

While the schematic does include the switching FETs (why?) and superfluous bypass buffer transistor, it omits the 4007 (?) and associated parts. I don't see any source of the 4.5 and -4.5 voltages either. So, counting parts is a no-go.

No offense meant to whoever traced it.

pazuzu

ok, scratch the original schematic than. it was just the first one i googled. as far as the idea that the one i had sounded better than the one i acquired is probably less likely, i am betting this pedal just sounded better to me when i was 22 and playing on a different rig. after all, the desire to get one of these pedals was inspired by a 12 pack of coors light anyhow.  :icon_biggrin:

here is a better pic of the guts, i have the pedal torn down, and i am not sure what i want to do with it. i only have 20$ into the entire works.

i'm thinking to start getting rid of all the bullsh*t buffering and refitting it to true bypass. maybe replace all the caps with wima poly's or something? i don't know, i have never tried to mod a pedal before, but for the price this could be a nice project.

the fets are the 3 on the right of the set of 4 q's that make a square.