Looking for a 6pdt toggle?

Started by boldaslove6789, April 10, 2010, 11:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boldaslove6789

I cant seem to find a 6pdt toggle switch anywhere... Anybody know where I could get a few?

Thanks

slotbot

you will probably have an easier time finding that as a rotary switch instead of a toggle

ive seen them for much cheaper than this but this is what im talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROTARY-SWITCH-1P12T-1P10T-2P6T-2P5T-3P4T-6P2T_W0QQitemZ360241923625QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e0178629#ht_1318wt_732

Mark Hammer

My sense is that the type of mechanism used for changing contact within a toggle, and the size of housing, is not all that hospitable to going much beyond 4 poles.

Consider use of a toggle to actuate electronic switches, or, as suggested, a rotary switch.

You can find multi-pole rotary switches by the bushelfull in those older printer-sharing boxes that have a rotary switch for selecting between two computers sharing the same printer (or two printers sharing the same computer).  I'm staring at one right now from the same kind of source that is a 12-pole/double-throw rotary.  Still trying to figure out what to do with it. :icon_lol:

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 11, 2010, 10:48:40 AM
My sense is that the type of mechanism used for changing contact within a toggle, and the size of housing, is not all that hospitable to going much beyond 4 poles.

Consider use of a toggle to actuate electronic switches, or, as suggested, a rotary switch.

You can find multi-pole rotary switches by the bushelfull in those older printer-sharing boxes that have a rotary switch for selecting between two computers sharing the same printer (or two printers sharing the same computer).  I'm staring at one right now from the same kind of source that is a 12-pole/double-throw rotary.  Still trying to figure out what to do with it. :icon_lol:

You could set up a big muff to be switched between russian and ram's head muffs :)

R.G.

+1 for the previous comments.

If it were me, I would try to figure out a way to use electronic switching. For instance, the CD4053 is a triple single-pole/double throw switch which can be individually or gang-controlled to make a triple pole/double throw switch in one package for about US$0.50. Two of them can also be ganged up to make that 6PDT switch you're looking for.

Note that the 4053 requires some messing about to keep the signal from being pop-free, largely biasing.

If you must switch DC with this, you could also use JFETs, both N and P channel to do your switching.

Bottom line (IMHO) is that beyond 4 poles as Mark says, mechanical switches get clumsy and unreliable, as well as very expensive. I would try to redesign to use electronic switches, or if I had to use metal-contact switches, I'd go to relays.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on April 11, 2010, 12:27:34 PM
You could set up a big muff to be switched between russian and ram's head muffs :)
Yep. Probably cheaper to build one of each and switch between the two, though.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ricothetroll