uhhh yeah, another muff a comin' ( video samples please check it out )

Started by joegagan, April 15, 2010, 02:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

nocentelli, maybe some soundclips, how does it sound?

gus,  i will take a look. are your tone control notes in the john lyons big muff thread from last year?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Zzagar

Great feedback guys thank you very much! Joe as always you have a great way of summarizing our fun experiments. I've been off experimenting with DOD 440 derrivitives and hadn't tuned into the forum! But the muff we built up (even with my large amount of doubt, in the beginning) is a great little screamin circuit!   

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zzagar

John Lyons

Joe is a little backwards actually. It just makes the guitar look backwards  :D
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

john, the joke was better in its original form. time to fire whoever is censoring your jokes over there. ;)
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

petemoore

With 3pdt next to the schematic, eyeing the tone control...
 the Gnd. connections.
 lifting the 39k and/or the .01uf would allow a lot more signal through.
 As well, offering alternate values here would open up other possiblities.
 To the signal path, the .004uf would look as a HF bypass to the very HFs across the 39k, {with both of the TC grounds lifted, would make a good boost, greatly reducing the TC loading.
 My .01uf and 39k, that portion of the perfboard is tight, it seems like a large capacitor across the TC would offer very low impedance, perhaps I can switch a C and variable R across the TC and have a 'wider' option...maybe this time a 'mess up' [since it's populated so tightly I don't want to go in and re-do anything around the TC] makes me think of the other option...might be cool..a hole needs plugged anyway, I'll see if I can find an old switch with a reliable SPST action left in it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

joegagan

pete, on the first night of soundtesting,  i tried my .0018 bypassing around the 39k/input resistor, zac and i could hear nothing being added on this circuit. i was surprised. will check out your other mods.

Brymus

Ive had a BMP on my breadboard for three months I was going to call mine Cherry Pi  but now I will go with Phat Camel Toe.(my second choice)
I have 330n for the first and last cap .1 for all the rest /minus ceramics,no sustain pot but added the mid control (I like being able to scoop or hump the mids)and my own values to the tone control.
The lack of tone stack does sound good,so does jumping the emiter resistors,I will try that on mine.
One other difference is I used two sets of diodes in the second clipping stage (A)(1n5711 and 2x 1n5711 ) and (B)(1n914 with 3 x 1n34a) on a DPDT/3PDT switch this is for a lead boost rather than for different clipping sounds.
Since you shared your great design/and took my (not so much)top secret name LOL I will share my mods too.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Gus

Joe
This adjusting of the BMP tone
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/gus/sickbass.GIF.html

You will need to adjust the source R in the calculator and scale the values.  Try 47Ks for the 4.7Ks and .01ufs for the .1ufs and a 100K pot for the 10K pot to start.

Off topic have you looked at this?

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/gus/wha1.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

joegagan

brymus, that is very funny. small minds think alike ;) when naming guitar pedals, i think most of us are stuck in jr. high.

you can have that name, i only called it that for one day, as i said in the vid 'today i am calling it the...'

also, very interesting that you approached it very similarly to the way we did. your diode mods sound good too.

gus, i looked at the tone control on your muff type. i remember that design from 03. but that tone control baffles me a little. i will look at it some more to see if i can understand it. i will build it next chance i get.

that boomerang based experiment looks great, i will try that out!

John Lyons

Joe
Download this.
http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html
Plug in Gus's values and it's a pretty cool flat mids bass and treble control.
The software is great stuff.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Brymus

Quote from: joegagan on April 18, 2010, 01:10:24 PM
brymus, that is very funny. small minds think alike ;) when naming guitar pedals, i think most of us are stuck in jr. high.

you can have that name, i only called it that for one day, as i said in the vid 'today i am calling it the...'

also, very interesting that you approached it very similarly to the way we did. your diode mods sound good too.

gus, i looked at the tone control on your muff type. i remember that design from 03. but that tone control baffles me a little. i will look at it some more to see if i can understand it. i will build it next chance i get.

that boomerang based experiment looks great, i will try that out!

Hey Joe thank you, I appreciate that, but I dont sell my stuff so if you want to keep using that name please dont stop on my account.
It may be another 3 months before I actually put mine in an enclosure...And I doubt I will ever build another .
I kinda like Phat Camel Toe too,giggle giggle
Its not like I was upset about it,just thought it was funny we had the same idea.Its probably been done already as Big Muff Pi kinda lends itself to becoming Cherry Pi when trying to find something close and still keep the Pi part.
Mine is probably closer to the GGG "tuned BMP" than your design though,on account of your lack of tone control and emiter resistors.
I first tried all .1 caps (after the stock values were overwhelming bass wise) but it was too thin and after alot of trying .33 at the input and output sounded best with out getting farty again.
It never ceases to amaze me how the simplest ideas are always the best.
Glad you like the clipping diode idea,it was a stumbled onto thing when I was A/B,ing different diode combos and realized it was a good way to get a lead boost with out having two volume pots.Then I just messed with it until I got the right amount of volume difference.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

John Lyons

"Camel Toe" was used by Way Huge in the mid 90s. Just sayin'

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

DougH

Given that it's stripped down to its bare essence, you could call it a "Brazilian" or something, I suppose...

Joe, haven't had a chance to do much with this lately. Had a super-busy weekend with everything but diy. I'll report back in this thread when I get a chance to try it out.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

WGTP

Doesn anyone remember the Mos Mango?  I think Frank Clarke used Mosfets for the 2nd and 3rd stages.   :icon_cool:

I like using fixed Twin-T notch filters at the end of the circuit.  You can modify the Duncan Tonestack to do the calculations and get whatever notch suits your fancy.   :icon_twisted:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

dumbmonkey

This thread has got my juices going.  I really have to breadboard this baby.  I'm thinking that "Landing Strip" might be a good name too...

joegagan

heh heh landing strip.

wgtp, that is a good add, the twin t at end. eventually i will have to put a tone control on it i think.

B Tremblay

It's been around for some time, but I still like it (though I could be accused of a certain bias):
http://home-wrecker.com/whisker.html
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com