Powdercoating gymnastics

Started by temol, November 26, 2019, 06:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

temol

How would you deal with powder coating larger, C shaped enclosure, that needs to be coated outside and partially inside? I prefer to hang all the parts for coating - sometimes coating gun spits the powder and with the enclosure laying on a table this causes uneven coating. My process - I shoot sides first (part is laying on a table)  then hang the part, coat top surface (now vertical) and inside of the C. But it's a PITA to transfer coated part  to the oven without damaging the coating . Also, when coating sides there's always some powder sticking all over  and it's hard to handle the element witout leaving marks. Maybe I should try to coat inside first, cure the paint, coat outside of the enclosure and do a second baking? Another idea - I could mount the enclosure to the moveable stick for a good maneouvurability.

T.

davent

For air brush painting i'll stick with double sided tape a piece of 1x2 wood with a wider base attached, form a "┴" shape, inside the enclosure to give myself a handle.  Can hold the handle and manipulate the enclosure to access any areas you need to spray.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

I build the metal holders and brackets I use to powder coat.
In the hardware store where they have joist hangers and
metal framing plates and brackets you can find different
size and style steel parts. They can be bent and be joined
with aluminum pop rivets to make what works for you.
I use a heavy solid base and connect the  electrode clip
to it. I coat the box and them move the whole base and coated
item to a cookie sheet then into the oven. The enclosure is
suspended off the bases surface and only touches inside
and under the top. (All sides are suspended of the work surface.
I also put the metal base on top of a spare enclosure to hold it up
above the work surface so the powder and flow around the whole
enclosure. The inside typically doesn't get much powder this way
but it allows the air to swirl around and not build up in any one place.
After each coating and curing I'll scrape a clean spot for the electrode
to make good contract for the next cycle.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

temol

Thank you for the replies.
davent - I use a double sided tape to mount enslosures for spraying. But here, with powder coatitng there is one problem - you cannot put ordinary double sided tape ino the oven. And I do not see how to safely separate enclosure from the stick after the powder is applied. I'd have to use special, heat resistant tape.
John Lyons - as for the holding jigs - excellent idea. Cheap, easily available, have to make some.  I think I've seen your old post about those, with pictures.
But I still have to figure out how to coat both sides and keep the powder intact when handling before baking :)

T.

davent

I've seen double sided tapes rated to 500F (not cheap), how hot is powder coating baked at.

I was thinking the handle would be removed before going in the oven.

That said... if John's got a methodology worked out and i know he's been at it for years, pay close attention because it will be solid.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

temol

Resurrecting old thread.

Anyone familiar with this type of powder coat finish? I'd call it "almost wrinkled" -  flat with flakes, or "islands"

T

patrick398

Hmm not sure what I'd call that texture, it's kind of wrinkle/leatherette but looks more like its intended to look like water droplets.
With regard to the original issue, I have been having similar hardship with transferring powdered enclosures into the oven. My powder coating system only requires a grounding bracelet to be worn and clipped to the enclosure, but I found that a pain in the ass, a much simpler way is just to hold the enclosure directly, touching only the inside and spray whilst moving it around for even cover. The down side is that your entire arm gets coated in powder but it does make manipulating the enclosure a lot easier. Getting it onto the baking tray is still tricky and I have been thinking about making some kind of jig. I though a lazy Susan type set up could be useful so the enclosure can be rotated easily while spraying. I guess the enclosure needs to sit on top of a metal plate to ensure good conductivity but the issue is that the plate would also get coated and loose conductivity for future runs. Are there any metals which do not take powder coat?