Help needed - (pre)amp channel switching with relays

Started by meffcio, April 19, 2010, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meffcio

Hello everybody,
I'm planning on building a solid-state preamp to use with my marshall mg's poweramp. I have choosen the potential circuitry of my preamp - small LM317-based 24v PSU, SeanM's BBlender as the FX loop, Fet-Twin as the clean channel, and Randall RG100ES red channel as the distortion channel. Everything working on 24v. BUT I'm not sure if it all will work connected just like that - will check it later when I'll finish the work on circuits. Anyway, there's a second problem. What about switching? I bet relays are the best method, but I have some questions already. I found some schemes on the net:
http://www.fonar.com.pl/audio/diy/preamphigain/rys28.gif
http://www.fonar.com.pl/audio/diy/preamphigain1/rys05.gif
Weren't relays supposed to be applied easier? Can someone explain how everything works here?
I need to switch the clean and distortion channels, and the fx loop on and off. Dist will be put on the 'passive side' of the relay of course, but what with the FX loop? I'd like to make small daughter boards for tha relays.
Any clues or ideas for my problems?

Here's an image of what I want to have 'relayed'.
http://www.przeklej.pl/plik/bez-tytuluxxx-gif-00128p8156jo
Two dpdts for switching channels and the fx loop.
It's really a small problem. I just want to know how to plan that switching and design a scheme/pcb...

GibsonGM

The 2 links up there look pretty standard.  LEDs to indicate which channel is "on".... The non-LED diodes are to prevent back current from destroying the coils when the relays switch, and the caps in parallel across them make them quieter - sort of 'buffer' that switching voltage in a way.   Looks like the unused inputs are grounded - good.  I'd use them just as they are! 

For some reason, your link didn't work for me :o(   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

meffcio

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 19, 2010, 10:06:44 AM
For some reason, your link didn't work for me :o(   
http://pl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eim6pw&s=5

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 19, 2010, 10:06:44 AM
The 2 links up there look pretty standard.  LEDs to indicate which channel is "on".... The non-LED diodes are to prevent back current from destroying the coils when the relays switch, and the caps in parallel across them make them quieter - sort of 'buffer' that switching voltage in a way.   Looks like the unused inputs are grounded - good.  I'd use them just as they are! 
Thanks for describing! ;D
But i have some questions then - why TWO relays for switching two channels? (1st file) Are those spdt relays, or what? Can I use a dpdt relay and simplify that scheme? (It's gonna be a solidstate preamp, not a tube one) I want to put those relays on small daughterboards and use a footswitch with LEDs. How do I have to change the scheme and what do I have to put inside the preamp, on the daughterboards, and inside the FS? I mean, I'm not sure what's with the diodes and switches next to the FS jack.
And can I put one set od LEDs to the FS and the second set to the preamp?
Thanks in advance ;)

meffcio

defaced

The switches on the foot switch jack are what's controlling what relay circuit is active, the LEDs are just indicators ( I would have done it differently, I see no reason to put the LEDs in series with the relay coils, I'd put them parallel to the coil).  In the first schem, the green channel need both relays to operate, the red channel doesn't need either.  You could change these to DPDT, but if the points you need to switch in the amp are physically located far away from each other, you're best to use two SPDT or whatever relays you need.  I would not run signal wires all over the place just so you can use a daughter board.  That's a good way to make an unstable amp.  I would instead route power wires for the relays and keep signal traces as sort as practical.
-Mike

meffcio