NJM4558L (SIP) in DS-1 - results...

Started by MetalGod, April 09, 2010, 09:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalGod

I had the idea to put the SIL version of the 4558 in a DS-1 a couple of years back, but never got round to it.  I've finally done it and it sounds pretty bad actually as a drop-in replacement (fuzzy like the very early DS-1).

The stock DS-1s I have with M5223AL and BA728N chips sound much better.

Just a quick post in case anyone ever wanted to try this.

Electron Tornado

I have a DS-1 in which the original owner had fried half the chip, so I tried a 4558 as well and it sounds the same as a stock DS-1. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of preference, but it didn't degrade the sound, IMO.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

MetalGod

I should have put 'YMMV' in the original post.  Anyway, the NJM4558L I put in my DS-1 in place of the original M5223AL didn't sound anywhere near as good - I was really quite surprised.  I may even desolder the one in there now and try another just to be sure.

BAARON

The 4558 actually has a reputation as sounding pretty terrible in the DS-1 circuit.  I've tried it too and was completely unimpressed.  It's no wonder: it sounds rank when you let it hit rail clipping.  I think the only reason it has a reputation as a good chip is that it was frequently used in the early Tube Screamers, which have a bit of a cult following thanks to SRV.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

zombiwoof

I'm glad to hear this as I was thinking of trying this sub in one of my DS-1's.  I also don't like the N5223AL as much as the newer NJM3404AL they are using now, the N5223AL sounds fizzier to my ears.  Of course, it probably depends on the amp you're putting it into.  I haven't tried them into my Marshall yet, I've only tried them into my Fender.

Al

ayayay!

I liked the Mitsubishis in the DS-1's best.  Yeah the reason they sound so "good" in a DS-1 is because they're so crappy.  Much lower bandwidth than a 4558 or similar.  Remove the clipping diodes in the DS-1 to hear some of the most raw, swinging IC clipping you've ever heard.   ;)
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.