2n4416 Alternatives?

Started by steveyraff, January 10, 2023, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

A long while ago I tried a few different transistors (can't recall offhand which), for use within a preamp box. As far as I can recall, the issue was that I couldn't quite get the same volume output that they provided.

Anyway, the 2n4416's are getting rare, and very expensive.

Anyone care to point me in the direction of other transistors to test as replacements, and what kinda values to look out for?

Much appreciated,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

antonis

It depends on its role in the circuit but you could try J112..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mozz

4 legs? A RF transistor. There should be lots of substitutes if you don't need it to go to VHF.
  • SUPPORTER

Clint Eastwood

2n4416 is a 'process 50' Jfet. Equivalent jfets sourced from the same process are 2n5485, 2n3819, BF244b, BF245b, MPF102. They have similar Idss , Vgsoff and transconductance.  Unfortunately, all of these through hole devices are obsolete now. But you can get equivalent parts in SMD format, like the MMBF5485 from On Semi. You will have to solder legs on the tiny critters yourself!
The J112 is still available as through hole, but is sourced from process 51. Not really equivalent, but it may work in your circuit. J113 is also a widely used part these days.

More info in this FET databook: https://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics/Databooks/National%20Semiconductor/_contents/National%20Semiconductor%20FET%20Databook%201977.pdf , section 3 describes the different manufacturing processes.