Building the tap tempo tremolo

Started by Taylor, April 19, 2010, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric.nail

The dot is Negative?! What kind of jerk does that?! There's a dark corner of hell for people like that guy.
I just reordered another board. A buddy wants one too! ha! I'll swap the octo-coupler around and see what kind of results i get then if that doesn't take care of it i'll post you the voltages. Thanks for the replies man! top notch boards by the way! I'm really impressed with the construction. Very classy.
I came, i saw, i taught little kids guitar for extorted prices.

bcalla

Hi Taylor -
I ordered the board and chip back in May, worked on it off & on in the fall, and finally finished it.  I was worried after reading this thread, but it worked right away with no ticking!!  Great sounding pedal!  I took many ideas from the thread, including using rotary switches for the multiply and waveform knobs.  Thanks for a great board & chip, I'm thinking of building another for a friend of mine.
Bob C
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

Taylor

Glad you enjoyed it Bob. I pass the thanks on to Tom, Mike, Chris, and the others that made this project what it is.  :)

bcalla

Here's a picture.  It has a light metalflake which makes the picture look splotchy.  It's actually pretty subtle.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

Eric.nail

Quote from: bcalla on December 26, 2012, 04:54:47 PM
Here's a picture.  It has a light metalflake which makes the picture look splotchy.  It's actually pretty subtle.

That's gorgeous! I need to figure out how to do the graphics...
I came, i saw, i taught little kids guitar for extorted prices.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bcalla on December 26, 2012, 04:54:47 PM

Hey, Gorgeous! Tripping on that one! Nice work!

T.

GuitarTek86

I just finished mine. great build! lots of fun! I can't seem to dial out the ticking on the half note and quarter note multipliers though. higher values on the multiplier are fine. swapped the opto once already. no change. using an NSL-32. any thoughts?

ps. these PBS's are SO nice! I purchased this one with an echo base PCB about 6 months ago. BEAUTIFUL boards! Best quality I have seen.

roseblood11

Quote from: GuitarTek86 on January 19, 2013, 02:58:01 AM
I just finished mine. great build! lots of fun! I can't seem to dial out the ticking on the half note and quarter note multipliers though. higher values on the multiplier are fine. swapped the opto once already. no change. using an NSL-32.

I've got the same problem. I tried 3 NSL-32's and a couple of other VTL's...

And I tried to tap the tempo for some weeks now, but I don't get it. It's always much too fast. Maybe the software debouncing isn't enough for some switches (It's a Carling "normally open" type)? Would adding a debouncing circuit around a 74hc14 help?

Taylor

IME a little finesse is required in tapping right. Taps need to be longer presses.

As far as ticking, I would go back to the first pages of the thread and see if any of the solutions there help.

bcalla

I didn't have to ELIMINATE ticking, but I did factor it in to my layout.  One of the posts mentioned that keeping the LED leads as short as possible so I positioned the board so that the LED solder pads were directly ove the LED hole.  To do that I used a PC mount pot only for the tempo twisted/rotated the pot placement to figure out where I needed to place the LED.  There is a gut shot below showing what I mean.  If you're wondering, the trimpot on the stompswitch is to match the brightness of the bypass LED with the tempo LED.

-- Mark Twain

jasonsguild

I just finished building this up and I'm just working out the ticking (haven't boxed it up yet).  Similar to a what was posted in the first few pages of the thread, the only way I've been able to eliminate the ticking so far is to leave the LED at maximum brightness with the trimpot set at no resistance.  Once I have the LED at full brightness, I can set the NSL-32 trimmer at any value and ticking is very minimal if any at all.

So the question I have, since I didn't see it mentioned, does leaving the LED so bright have any negative impact on anything?

Thanks,

J
Jason D

Taylor

Can damage your vision (really - blue light is especially bad IIRC), draws more power, maybe shorter LED life, but other than that I can see no significant drawbacks.

jasonsguild

Cool, I'll start wearing shades when I play, a win-win!  Or maybe I'll try to diffuse the led.  Thanks Taylor
Jason D

stone temple pinot

Any ETA on new stock of these boards?
Anxious to get one....
-STP

Gaetano Capuano

Quote from: stone temple pinot on February 09, 2013, 11:15:38 AM
Any ETA on new stock of these boards?
Anxious to get one....
-STP

This.....................

Taylor

Gonna be a while unfortunately. A few weeks to a month.

stone temple pinot

Ultrakd

Ok haven't posted for a while. Been super busy and have bad no time to work on pedals. But the other day I thought I'd try and work on this pedal again only to find I have a even bigger problem. My previous problem is that I could not get the ticking to stop. I even got a new Opto. After going up for a while I decided to try working on it again. Not it doesn't work at all! No sound at all comes through. Completely silent.....any suggestions as to what happened? It's just been sitting. I'm really sad cause this was my fav pedal when I got it working once then I unplugged it and plugged it back in and I've had nothing but problems :(
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM
Amps:  Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

Taylor