Building the Echo Base PCB

Started by Taylor, April 22, 2010, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratbones

Hi Taylor, any update on when the PCB for this creature will be available again?

Taylor

It's tough to get an estimate from the fab guys, but it could be anywhere from this week to 2 weeks from now I think.

Ratbones

Cool, thanks for the speedy response! I'll definitely be ordering one at that time  ;)

penguinguy34

Hi, a new question here: I just built the pedal and am going to put in the LFO switch shortly and i also removed the diodes, it sounds great when its my guitar>echo base>amp, but when I put my TS-9 in front of it, it barely picks up the guitar, crackles and is very noisy; is there anyway to fix this? (this happens whether the ts-9 is switched on or off)

Thump-Lump

Any word yet as to when the PCB will be available?  Thanks  :icon_biggrin:

Thump-Lump

Nevermind.....2 more weeks.   I just got your email answer.   Thanks.

Ginsengbob

Hey Taylor
When I have the Lfo switched off the Lfo Depth knob affects the overall delay time.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Chris

Taylor

That sounds normal but I don't have an EB right now to test and confirm.

Can anybody else confirm that?

slacker

Yeah the depth pot will have some effect on the delay time with the LFO off.

forsakenrider

any more news on when you'll have PCBs again?

Taylor

Still waiting on them, keep getting uninformative status mails, but it will definitely be by the end of this month.

Ginsengbob

I've got the delay working with all the mods except the diode lift.

When I hit the bypass switch it just kills the signal.

The tails switch doesn't seem to have any effect.
When I switch the bypass switch the signal disappears but the tails keep going regardless of which position the switch is in.

Anyone have any ideas or know how I would go about tracing the clean signal path?

Thanks

Taylor

Bob, if you respond to this post it'll go back in my "new replies" list so it will remind me to come back tomorrow with some ideas for things to check. I'll take a look at a finished board I have to give some ideas of where to probe, etc.

snarblinge

any chance of a revised board with some of the more common mods on it as an option? had to squeeze a daughter board into mine and with all the jumpers it kinda ruined the flawless look of your beautiful work. (enough grease?)

will be ordering more myself soon (so long as they come back into stock)
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Ginsengbob

Thanks Taylor
Let me know when you can.

slacker

Quote from: Ginsengbob on August 17, 2011, 02:09:51 AM
When I hit the bypass switch it just kills the signal.

Have you done the "clean kill" mod? If you have double check you've done it correctly, that's the only thing that should kill the dry signal.
Should be pretty easy to trace the problem the dry sound just goes in to pin 3 of the opamp top left on the board then out of pin 1, that bit must be working other wise you'd get no sound at all. It then goes through the 10k resistor that you remove to do the clean kill mod into pin 6 of the opamp and out of pin 7. The rest of that part must be working otherwise you wouldn't hear the delay. So the problem is almost certainly round the 10k resistor.
I'd remove the PT2399 and the CD4066, that will give you just the dry signal, then probe around until you find the problem.

On the tails problem, does the LED work when you bypass the pedal? It should go off in bypass and flash in time with the mod speed when on. If that works the problem is probably to do with the wiring of the tails switch.

Ginsengbob

the Clean kill mod works correctly when the delay is engaged.

I'll try tracing the audio like you say when I get home.

I wasn't going to us the led. Would this make a difference?
I'll hook it up to see if it is working correctly.

thanks for your help, I hope i can get this working right.
the delay portion is awesome

slacker

Quote from: Ginsengbob on August 17, 2011, 04:10:14 PM
the Clean kill mod works correctly when the delay is engaged.

I'm a bit confused by this, so when the delay is engaged you get the dry sound and the delay? So if you turn the delay level all the way down you can still hear the dry signal and you can kill this by flipping the clean kill switch.

You don't need the LED, it will work fine without it. It's just a quick way to get an idea if the bypass switching and the CD4066 are working

Ginsengbob

Yes, when the delay is engaged I get the dry sound and the delay. When I turn the delay level all the way down I can still hear the dry signal and you can kill this by flipping the clean kill switch. The tails hang over but I can't turn them off. It makes no sense.

This is something else weird I noticed.

if I take a alligator clip from the 1/4" input + jack and jumper it directly to the 1/4" + output jack it still won't give me clean sound when the delay is not engaged.

I get clean sound when the delay is engaged and I can kill the clean sound with the mod to get only delay sounds.

But when I disengage the delay I can't get clean sound from anywhere.

The way I was going to trace the audio is to have an alligator clip connected to the + 1/4" output and touch the pins on the places you mention.

thanks

Ginsengbob

i tried 4 different leds and none of them work although the delay time changes a bit when i add the led.

I get clean signal from pin 3 of upper left tl072 but not pin 1.
No signal from either side of the 10k clean kill resistor but it still works when the the delay is engaged.