Building the Echo Base PCB

Started by Taylor, April 22, 2010, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

So when in bypass, you get no sound regardless of the position of the clean kill switch?

Did you get the pedal working completely before doing mods? I recommend that as it vastly complicates debugging when you have a bunch of mods and you're not sure if the basic pedal is working first. Then go through and add each mod and check it, until it breaks. When it breaks you'll know what did it and it will be easier to pinpoint.

Ginsengbob

In bypass no sound at all except for tails.
Everything worked before I tried to put it in the enclosure.

I do all the mods when I'm making the pedal because every time I try to desolder something I end up getting in trouble with pull a pad or a trace up.

Taylor

Ah, so if everything worked before you put it in the box, that narrows things down a bit. It tells us that the components on the board are probably all good, but there must be some issue with the wiring most likely. Do you have any wires or other things floating around either over or under the board that could potentially short against something?

Can you post a photo of your build? Sometimes that helps us to see something.

Ginsengbob

I have double checked all my wires.
I used off board wiring so a pic might just be confusing.
All the pots,mods, switches and jacks are fine except for no clean signal in bypass mode.
I also tied all the grounds to the power ground.

I don't know if this would make a difference but when I was swapping out ics to test them I accidentally put a max1044 in place of the upper left tl072.
I don't know if the power was even hooked up to the board before I realized it but I thought I would mention it.
Could this have fried any components that would cause this?

Taylor

Hmm, offhand I have no clue what would happen plugging a 1044 into a TL074 circuit. If power was not hooked up it definitely wouldn't be a problem though.

The way the switching works in this pedal, the clean signal is never switched in any way. So that means that your bypass switch is killing the sound, which leads me to think that you have a stray wire touching some part of the clean signal chain which then gets grounded in bypass.

Ginsengbob

That would make a lot of sense because like I said in bypass mode if i run a jumper from input jack positive to output jack positive I still don't get any signal.
I will look for anything shorting out the clean signal.
Any obvious places to trace the signal besides pin 3 of the upper tl072?

Ginsengbob

Taylor and Slacker
You guys really know your shit.
There was a very tiny solder bridge on the input signal.
I know you guys must get tired of all the stupid questions from people (like me) on these threads but you really helped me think in new ways
and made it possible to think this problem through.

Now I will enjoy this pedal even more.
Thanks

Taylor

No problem, glad it got sorted and you're enjoying it. Perpetual thanks to Slacker for such a fun pedal!

Ginsengbob

Is there any way to lower the volume of the Dub madness effect?
Also maybe make it take longer to come in, like a longer fade in?

Taylor

Experiment with increasing the value of the series resistor (I think it's 27k in the diagram). Replace it with a trimpot or an external pot for max tweakability.

YouAre

Quote from: Ginsengbob on August 18, 2011, 04:01:12 PM

Quote from: Taylor on August 18, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
Experiment with increasing the value of the series resistor (I think it's 27k in the diagram). Replace it with a trimpot or an external pot for max tweakability.

Maybe replace the "wet volume" resistor with something higher too on the stomp switch. This should bring the delay volume down in dubmadness mode. Then switches back to normal volume afterward.

Thump-Lump

How is it looking for getting the PCB's back in by the end of the month?

Taylor

Echo Base boards are here! (finally)

I just updated the page so you can purchase them. Along with that, new lower shipping prices, both in the US and internationally.

I just made some tweaks to the shopping cart and website so if anybody does make a purchase, if you could let me know if everything went smoothly with the cart, that would be a big help. Paypal won't let me pay myself to test it.  :P

slacker

Quote from: Ginsengbob on August 18, 2011, 04:01:12 PM
Also maybe make it take longer to come in, like a longer fade in?

There's an idea to make it fade in and out here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84109.msg708753#msg708753 I don't know if it works, I never built it.

JohnL

Does anyone have the drilling template that was posted on page 8 from Barcode? The link comes up file not found.

Thanks

Thump-Lump

Quote from: Taylor on August 27, 2011, 06:03:14 AM
Echo Base boards are here! (finally)

I just updated the page so you can purchase them. Along with that, new lower shipping prices, both in the US and internationally.

I just made some tweaks to the shopping cart and website so if anybody does make a purchase, if you could let me know if everything went smoothly with the cart, that would be a big help. Paypal won't let me pay myself to test it.  :P

I just ordered one and it all went smooooothly.  ;D

Barcode80

Quote from: JohnL on August 27, 2011, 09:44:56 AM
Does anyone have the drilling template that was posted on page 8 from Barcode? The link comes up file not found.

Thanks

long story with my hosting provider. Let me see if I still have it on my hard drive.

EDIT: no dice. if anyone still has my drilling template, please PM and email it to me. I'll put it back up on my site.

samiam691

Quote from: slacker on October 27, 2010, 04:00:54 PM
What does the LED do? Knowing that would help.

If you've got a meter that should be able to tell you where the problem is. If you measure the voltage on the collector of the bypass transistor, that's the pin nearest the CD4066, with the bypass switch open or disconnected you should get about 1 volt or lower. With the switch closed or the wire shorted to ground you should get 8 volts or more. If you don't get similar readings then the problem is somewhere around the transistor.
If the voltages are Ok, then measure from the middle pin of the tails switch, you should get the same readings as at the collector. Then measure from pins 12 and 13 of the CD4066, depending on the position of the tails switch one of those should follow the collector and the other should be about 9 volts.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Quote from: Taylor on October 26, 2010, 09:00:17 PM
Yeah, I don't remember who or what forum but somebody didn't want the tails function so they left this unpopulated and the bypass did not work right.

I built a Gristleizer a few months ago and that is sweet (bizarre but sweet) so I thought I would try the echo base.  I love the musicpcb boards, top notch. So thank you for offering such nice products to people who spend way too much time alone with hot metal rod...  

I am so close on the echo base but I need a little help please.  I am near the some spot as the post I quoted above.  Here is where I am:
I get sound but no delay, just guitar only.  My LED works with the bypass and is changes with the LFO pot and switch.  I can hear a ticking sound if I turn up the time pot. From the post above, my bypass transistor is working properly.  My middle pin of the tails switch matches the collector.

on my CD4066, pin 12 shows 4.26 an pin 13 shows 2.7 no matter which position my tails switch is in.  

When I use the audio probe, I get only clean guitar on pin 16 of the pt2399.  I am stuck. Any help anyone can give would be great.   Thanks!

samiam691

I built a Gristleizer a few months ago and that is sweet (bizarre but sweet) so I thought I would try the echo base.  I love the musicpcb boards, top notch. So thank you for offering such nice products to people who spend way too much time alone with hot metal rod... 

I am so close on the echo base but I need a little help please.  I am near the some spot as the post I quoted above.  Here is where I am:
I get sound but no delay, just guitar only.  My LED works with the bypass and is changes with the LFO pot and switch.  I can hear a ticking sound if I turn up the time pot. From the post above, my bypass transistor is working properly.  My middle pin of the tails switch matches the collector.

on my CD4066, pin 12 shows 4.26 an pin 13 shows 2.7 no matter which position my tails switch is in. 

When I use the audio probe, I get only clean guitar on pin 16 of the pt2399.  I am stuck. Any help anyone can give would be great.   Thanks!

Quote from: samiam691 on August 27, 2011, 03:41:32 PM
Quote from: slacker on October 27, 2010, 04:00:54 PM
What does the LED do? Knowing that would help.

If you've got a meter that should be able to tell you where the problem is. If you measure the voltage on the collector of the bypass transistor, that's the pin nearest the CD4066, with the bypass switch open or disconnected you should get about 1 volt or lower. With the switch closed or the wire shorted to ground you should get 8 volts or more. If you don't get similar readings then the problem is somewhere around the transistor.
If the voltages are Ok, then measure from the middle pin of the tails switch, you should get the same readings as at the collector. Then measure from pins 12 and 13 of the CD4066, depending on the position of the tails switch one of those should follow the collector and the other should be about 9 volts.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Quote from: Taylor on October 26, 2010, 09:00:17 PM
Yeah, I don't remember who or what forum but somebody didn't want the tails function so they left this unpopulated and the bypass did not work right.

I built a Gristleizer a few months ago and that is sweet (bizarre but sweet) so I thought I would try the echo base.  I love the musicpcb boards, top notch. So thank you for offering such nice products to people who spend way too much time alone with hot metal rod...  

I am so close on the echo base but I need a little help please.  I am near the some spot as the post I quoted above.  Here is where I am:
I get sound but no delay, just guitar only.  My LED works with the bypass and is changes with the LFO pot and switch.  I can hear a ticking sound if I turn up the time pot. From the post above, my bypass transistor is working properly.  My middle pin of the tails switch matches the collector.

When I use the audio probe, I get only clean guitar on pin 16 of the pt2399.  I am stuck. Any help anyone can give would be great.   Thanks!

Taylor

The issue is likely with the delay chip. Do you have 5v on pin 1 of the 2399?