THE THING-A-MA-BOB MP3 SAMPLE ADDED!!! (easy as pie homemade nintendofuzz)

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, April 27, 2010, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

This is pretty neat. I definitely applaud the fun-to-parts-count ratio. I think I'll build this in a box with a bunch of other mini wacky circuits (Tim Escobedo stuff especially).

FUZZZZzzzz

thanks guys! Tim Escobedo has put together some nice designs.. i think i should actually try some of his circuits.. i have them on my hd
but never got to built them.. i like simple designs.. but mostly because im beginning to understand them.

if you guys built this i would def like to hear about it.. its good to know that im not the only one loving the broken sounding ones ;) and it gives me the enthousiasm
to spend more time on here sharing my ideas and to become better at understanding.

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

bulldozed

I must've done something wrong - mine sounded all gnarly and buzzy like the sound clip.... then I put a poly 10uf cap in (instead of the electro that I had in there), and it sounds like an almost refined fuzz pedal now  :icon_redface:  ;D I'll take a video of my own when I've redone it on vero board - got a mini hammond case lined up for it and all. I like my stuff-up of the design... whatever it was that I did...  :D

Edit: Just for my curiousity, I went back and checked - and took a video of it (uploading to youtube now); putting a 100v poly 10uF cap in, instead of an electro, makes a hell of a difference. I reckon that I'll put in a small DPDT switch to flick between the cap types when I build it on vero  :icon_smile:

Edit 2: Video link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBeDsBGzCeM

Heemis

Are you sure that's a 10uf film cap you're popping in?  Looks much too small to be 10uf, especially at a 100v rating.  Maybe 100n?  Sounds fantastic though!  Definitely need to breadboard.

bulldozed

Quote from: Heemis on May 04, 2010, 09:05:33 AM
Are you sure that's a 10uf film cap you're popping in?  Looks much too small to be 10uf, especially at a 100v rating.  Maybe 100n?  Sounds fantastic though!  Definitely need to breadboard.

Yeah, right as you are - 1uF... tiny writing hurts the eyes  :icon_redface:  The 'real' 10uF I have in my fingers is exactly the same size though  :icon_confused: I'll try the bigger cap value tomorrow when I can make a little more noise...

FUZZZZzzzz

dude! thanks for the reply.. i als had a lot of fun with different capacitators.. i like you video and accent :)
how does the pot react to the different values?

bulldozed

Feeling a bit weird about this little noise-box.... I've had the breadboard on the floor in front of my amp, wildly pulling and plugging components.... I've found myself really liking the sound of removing everything from the original layout except the input cap  :icon_eek: Just straight into the cap, into the IC, and out of pin 5. There's noise coming through which I suspect may be linked to the lack of filtration; I'll try and implement something to knock that on the head...

blue_lu

Hi - thanks for the circuit. Really nice and simple. Even I could breadboard it.

Question: Did you get any selfoscillation at the end of the pot travel? Mine does self oscilate at the end. aaaand I can controll the pitch of selfoscilation with volume pot of the guitar...

anyone got something similar?!

FUZZZZzzzz

hi! i got pretty much the same effect.. self oscillating bit.. the guitar can work as an extra feature (its a potmeter  ;D)

glad you like it! cheers!

SpencerPedals

Damn you for making something so simple that I absolutely have to try it...despite the 40 other projects I was hoping to finish up!

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: SpencerPedals on May 07, 2010, 09:43:13 AM
Damn you for making something so simple that I absolutely have to try it...despite the 40 other projects I was hoping to finish up!

hehe.. i hear ya..  ;D

ps. ive added the layout to the gallery so its widely available for a longer period of time..

Ned Flanger

This is a perfect project for me to practice my schematic/pcb program.  I will be back!

stringsthings

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 27, 2010, 04:53:12 PM
Hi Guys!

Normally I'm just a spectator at this forum as I'm just beginning to understand electronics and stuff.
But I came up with something nice (in my own opinion ;)) when breadboarding.

I was looking for some nintendo sounds, like the FX Doctor 8bit and such and came up with something extremely easy and fun to built.

Here's a layout.. its kinda loud so maybe a volume knob would also be nice  ;D
I'll try to record some samples tomorrow (ill play some super mario for you all)

feel free to comment.. coz this is just based on trial and error.

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/thingamabob.jpg/

hey man, this project sounds very cool ! ..... i'll have to get me one of those IC's ....  thanks for posting your results !

FUZZZZzzzz

DC9V

This thing sounds sick. I need one! :icon_cool:
Has anybody made a PCB layout?

Taylor

PCB layout? It's 4 parts.  :icon_wink:

If you can't get your hands on perf or vero, and don't want to point-to-point, you could just etch the vero pattern into some copper clad and drill where you need to. A PCB isn't going to be any smaller than that anyway.

DC9V

As a beginner (and a pretty clumsy one, at that :icon_redface:) I feel much more confident working on a PCB, although in that particular case the chances for messing it up are rather small and I might just try it on veroboard. There was talk about a PCB layout earlier in the thread so I thought I'd go the easy way...

Plus, some people apparently like their internal wires bent at right angles... well I enjoy the sight of a lascivious little PCB in my pedals :icon_mrgreen:

Taylor

Ok, fair enough. What I was getting at is that you can treat the vero layout like a PCB layout. Etch the lines into your clad and only drill the holes you need.

Or, you could also use this as a chance to get your feet wet with doing layouts. Circuits don't get too much simpler than this, so it's as good a place to start as any. Download DIYLC and give it a go!

DC9V

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2010, 04:38:53 PM
Or, you could also use this as a chance to get your feet wet with doing layouts. Circuits don't get too much simpler than this, so it's as good a place to start as any. Download DIYLC and give it a go!

Decided to pick up the challenge!
Now, this will certainly require correcting. It's my first layout and I don't know much about conventions in that area.

I am aware that I've wasted quite a bit of board space. I was thinking about my clumsy podgy fingers when soldering :icon_smile:; I can try to correct that in a future version if needed.
I used component dimensions & pin spacing as found on my supplier's website.
I've also added a volume pot as suggested.

Could somebody with the Knowledge have a look at this? :icon_smile:

linny1982

i have a smaller pcb layout with board mounted pots if you want it. pm me with your email address. its a pdf so its easy to print correct scale