THE THING-A-MA-BOB MP3 SAMPLE ADDED!!! (easy as pie homemade nintendofuzz)

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, April 27, 2010, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papercutnoise

Any idea what sort of effect a voltage starve pot would have on this circuit???

Ned Flanger

DC9V, I too am trying my hand at laying out a PCB.  What software are you using?  I have tried to use free stuff off the internet and they seem way too complicated for what I need.

Taylor

FUZZZZzzzz

Hi Guys! I've been away on the weekend, but like the way my topic has been evolving. nice job on the new volumepot designs btw.. i was going to look into that..

as for the voltage starve pot.. ive tried it actually.. got the example from beavisaudio
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

i got some nice results.. but you should just breadboard some values.. cant remember.
im thinking about building a thing-a-ma-bob deluxe.. so maybe, yeah!

i really appreciate your enthousiasm guys! thanks a lot!
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Cymastar

How simple would it be to add a "Rambler" style octave up to this  :icon_biggrin:?

I'm stoked. This thing is getting built TONIGHT!
God bless Hot Glue.

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Cymastar on June 24, 2010, 12:46:57 AM
How simple would it be to add a "Rambler" style octave up to this  :icon_biggrin:?

I'm stoked. This thing is getting built TONIGHT!

http://folkurban.com/Site/Rambler-713.html
breadboard it and tell us what you find ;)

bassk81976

begiiner alert:

I've never read a veroboard layout before, are the red boxes broken holes, to disconnect the tracks?

i want to build this badly

Taylor

Yes, correct. You can either cut the tracks with a utility knife, or what most people do is use a drill bit to drill that section of track out.

bassk81976

oky, another beginner question...

i breadboarded this up, checked it twice, checked it three times, then plugged it in to try.

Of course, it is 3 in the morning, so i couldn't turn it up loud.

But, it didn't really seem to...work well, i guess? It seemed to cut in and out, and i had to turn my practice amp up really loud to hear it at all.

I followed the layout pretty well, except i didn't have a 5.6nf cap for C1, so i used a .1 uf - the smallest i had, even though it was about double the asked for cap. That shouldn't make too much of a difference, should it? I'm using this for bass..

as i've understood it, a higher cap is better for bass, right? Or should i go hunting for a 5.6nf cap? Where do you guys get yours?

also, how is c2 supposed to be orientated? Or should it be a non-polarized cap? should both of them be non-polarized?

FUZZZZzzzz

hi there bassk81976..

first of all theres some dead end on the pot.. depends on the use of humbuckers or singlecoil.. humbuckers have wider reach on this one..

have you checked wiring and your cut traces on shorting and such?

i think the 5.6 nf gave the best result on my experiment.. but i dont know about the 0.1 uf havent tried it..

before you box it.. also put in a volumepot.. theres some design of a volumepot in this post.. its way too loud to put it in your breadboard without..

are you using a full battery (just to make sure)

hang in there! and keep us posted

gr, Mic

FUZZZZzzzz

as for c2 = the negative goes to ground (shortest metal thingie)

luko-man

love this cuircuit, off to stupidly mod it with germanium diodes and other gain stages and such :)

cheers for the design it is  :icon_cool:
cant think of anything funny to put here

Taylor

Quote from: bassk81976 on July 12, 2010, 02:58:20 AM
I followed the layout pretty well, except i didn't have a 5.6nf cap for C1, so i used a .1 uf - the smallest i had, even though it was about double the asked for cap. That shouldn't make too much of a difference, should it? I'm using this for bass..

That value shouldn't make the circuit not work, but I did want to point out that it's 20 times larger, not just twice as large. .1uf= 100nf. Here's a good chart to help you get the hang of how the different values relate to each other:

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Taylor on July 12, 2010, 02:41:09 PM
Quote from: bassk81976 on July 12, 2010, 02:58:20 AM

That value shouldn't make the circuit not work, but I did want to point out that it's 20 times larger, not just twice as large. .1uf= 100nf. Here's a good chart to help you get the hang of how the different values relate to each other:

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

nice one! i always use that same chart ;)

bassk81976

ok, so i;'m getting sound now, but nothing as synthy-game-boy-laden-square wave as the example, and only when EVERYTHING s turned up to 10 - instrument master and tone pot full on, amp's gain, master, treble, bass, mid all at 10, is loud enough to be heard, when gain at 0 and master at 2 is enough to be heard.

is it because of the .1uf cap? and, that should have the negative pointed towards the input jack, right? with positive to the rest of the circuitry. also, here's A LOT of scratch noise when i turn the pot, but that could be because of my pot...i need to stop buying radioshack and order from the diystore/small bear

FUZZZZzzzz

sorry to hear that! the thing is really loud.. so theres def something wrong with your built.. try to find the right cap.. make sure its a greenie as well.. something like this

have you used the right lugs of the pot.. with the shaft up.. its 1,2,3 from left to right..

you could also try to remove the pot with the resistor.. it should give fuzz.. without gating..

bassk81976

it is because of the cap, then, would it be worth it to buy something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130409514605

or should i buy something less numerous?

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: bassk81976 on July 12, 2010, 07:43:44 PM
it is because of the cap, then, would it be worth it to buy something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130409514605

or should i buy something less numerous?

the amount is up to you, really :) if you're planning to built a lot more effects in the future its always a good investment.. but make sure the values are usable (check out some sxchematics of your interest)
i personally would go to my local shop and spend some coins for just one or two and buy a 100k potmeter just as well to make a nice volumepot for boxing it up.

theundeadelvis

Perfed this little guy after work today, and it's pretty damn cool! Going to see what it sounds like through the Minimoog. Trying to think of ways to add more knobs for adjustable craziness.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

FUZZZZzzzz

glad you enjoyed it!  :D

i'm planning on building a thing-a-ma-bob deluxe after i finish the two pedals on the bench.

switchable caps / maybe a sag / volume

lots more to think about ;)