THE THING-A-MA-BOB MP3 SAMPLE ADDED!!! (easy as pie homemade nintendofuzz)

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, April 27, 2010, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMaximo93

Hi everyone, new to the forum  ;D

Just started (trying) to put together some pedals today (simple fuzzes), and I'm glad I found this thread! This thing sounds great (and I haven't even tried it with my decent amp yet. I'm a bass player btw)! I was looking for a pedal sorta like this but they were expensive... then I find this and make it for cheap  :D It's on a breadboard though so I'll still need to get some more bits and pieces...

I got the volume part working as well, now I think I want to make it so I can blend the effect with the clean signal... Hope it won't be too difficult... Time to do some research  :)

FUZZZZzzzz

hey dude.. thanks for stopping by.. i've just posted a new design.. synthlikefuzz
you can find it here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=86068.0

i also found a simple blend layout for you by another forummember .. you should def check it out.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Toneys-Album/Buff_n_Blend.png.html

i havent tried it but its nice and simple

take care!
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

SuperMaximo93

Cool, thanks a lot!  :) Will pick up the parts I need tomorrow and report back  ;D

tippie

Quote from: DC9V on May 21, 2010, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2010, 04:38:53 PM
Or, you could also use this as a chance to get your feet wet with doing layouts. Circuits don't get too much simpler than this, so it's as good a place to start as any. Download DIYLC and give it a go!

Decided to pick up the challenge!
Now, this will certainly require correcting. It's my first layout and I don't know much about conventions in that area.

I am aware that I've wasted quite a bit of board space. I was thinking about my clumsy podgy fingers when soldering :icon_smile:; I can try to correct that in a future version if needed.
I used component dimensions & pin spacing as found on my supplier's website.
I've also added a volume pot as suggested.

Could somebody with the Knowledge have a look at this? :icon_smile:
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I built this today from this layout (but on perfboard) and it's working great! My first successful build! I'm loving the weird sounds and there's a nice fuzz with the pot all the way down. Thanks for such a cool, simple pedal!

electricteeth

I built this long ago when you first posted it. I use it all the time. Its pretty fun for bass. I like the cleanup mod, I'm going to have to add that.

Earthscum

Quote from: electricteeth on February 03, 2012, 10:49:14 AM
I built this long ago when you first posted it. I use it all the time. Its pretty fun for bass. I like the cleanup mod, I'm going to have to add that.

I'm gonna have to give this a try. I've breadboarded slightly similar stuff, but never did anything complete. This might end up being the "nasty" in my distortion group, lol.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

petey twofinger

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

electricteeth

I just meant about changing the cap to ground from 8 to a smaller value. Cleanup.

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: tippie on February 02, 2012, 10:30:38 PM
Quote from: DC9V on May 21, 2010, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2010, 04:38:53 PM
Or, you could also use this as a chance to get your feet wet with doing layouts. Circuits don't get too much simpler than this, so it's as good a place to start as any. Download DIYLC and give it a go!

Decided to pick up the challenge!
Now, this will certainly require correcting. It's my first layout and I don't know much about conventions in that area.

I am aware that I've wasted quite a bit of board space. I was thinking about my clumsy podgy fingers when soldering :icon_smile:; I can try to correct that in a future version if needed.
I used component dimensions & pin spacing as found on my supplier's website.
I've also added a volume pot as suggested.

Could somebody with the Knowledge have a look at this? :icon_smile:
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I built this today from this layout (but on perfboard) and it's working great! My first successful build! I'm loving the weird sounds and there's a nice fuzz with the pot all the way down. Thanks for such a cool, simple pedal!

wow! cool to see someone still enjoying this one.. I think its still close to being one of the easiest (low part count) noise boxes around..  glad you like it!  :icon_wink:

Canucker

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 28, 2010, 01:40:29 PM
you mean when its almost closed? that depends on the source you use... the signal is heavily gated when its almost closed so not every source will give useful or even sound.
you could play with the resistor to the ground.. add different values, but personally i only had 1k 3.2k and 4.7k to try it with ;)

Has anyone decided the best resistor value for a guitar only (source) version of this to avoid the dead spot? I should have done the bread board thing but I got overly excited and drew up a layout and etched a board for this cus I knew this would be something I'd love....turns out I wasn't wrong about that!!!! AMAZING!!!

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Canucker on September 25, 2012, 01:13:07 AM
Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 28, 2010, 01:40:29 PM
you mean when its almost closed? that depends on the source you use... the signal is heavily gated when its almost closed so not every source will give useful or even sound.
you could play with the resistor to the ground.. add different values, but personally i only had 1k 3.2k and 4.7k to try it with ;)

Has anyone decided the best resistor value for a guitar only (source) version of this to avoid the dead spot? I should have done the bread board thing but I got overly excited and drew up a layout and etched a board for this cus I knew this would be something I'd love....turns out I wasn't wrong about that!!!! AMAZING!!!

Hi dude! thanks for your interest.. it really depends on your pickups (single vs humbucker) i think I used 4k for my single coils

runmikeyrun

as a bass player in a thrash/noise band with little time to build I'm definitely going to have to try this!  Thanks man!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Canucker

Humbuckers here....so really maybe a switch to go between to diff resistors depending on your pickups?

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: Canucker on September 25, 2012, 06:19:31 PM
Humbuckers here....so really maybe a switch to go between to diff resistors depending on your pickups?

don't expect too much of a difference.. 4 k should be plenty for humbuckers..

Canucker

I was just hoping to get rid of that dead spot. I finally got to test it out at "band volume" today...I do most of my soldering at night so I always have to test my builds pretty quietly...anyways when I play with the fuzz turned up theres a hissing/static going on...if I don't play its silent but when I strum a note as the note decays the hiss/static eventually is louder then the note. Is that normal? I'm hoping not cus its been a few days and I still love this thing!

Perrow

Quote from: Canucker on September 28, 2012, 12:01:11 AM
I was just hoping to get rid of that dead spot. I finally got to test it out at "band volume" today...I do most of my soldering at night so I always have to test my builds pretty quietly...anyways when I play with the fuzz turned up theres a hissing/static going on...if I don't play its silent but when I strum a note as the note decays the hiss/static eventually is louder then the note. Is that normal? I'm hoping not cus its been a few days and I still love this thing!

Try a cap "on" the power, maybe 100uF, that has helped many 386 builds.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Canucker

Quote from: Perrow on September 28, 2012, 04:13:07 AM
Quote from: Canucker on September 28, 2012, 12:01:11 AM

Try a cap "on" the power, maybe 100uF, that has helped many 386 builds.
you mean between the battery and the IC?  What other 386 projects are there? or simpler question...which would you recommend? Thanks!

Perrow

From pin 6 to ground, the 386 seem to be dependent on stable power. Rob, deadastronaut, designed a circuit called Big B*stard, might be worth a look. I'm on my phone right now, but there should be links to it from the wiki in my sig.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Canucker

Awesome. I'll try that this weekend. just so its here for everyone. I'm a real beginner with some things but with others I have a pretty good handle. That can happen pretty easily when your self taught.  :P