Looking for a Malaysian TI RC4558P IC with the Texas Instrument Logo

Started by jalexquijano, May 09, 2010, 09:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalexquijano

I recenty purchased a MC4558 CONTEK C2DE chip. Is this an exact replacement for the Malaysian TI RC4558P chip used originally by Ibanez on their TS-808 and TS-9 during the early 80´s?

I got the MC4558 CONTEK in a local chinese electronic shop in Panama, Central America. Its getting really hard to get the Texas Instrument RC4558P chip.

Jered

There is a lot on the net about the 4558 hype/myth. Do a little digging. Then try a 4559.

R.G.

Quote from: jalexquijano on May 09, 2010, 09:05:55 PM
I recenty purchased a MC4558 CONTEK C2DE chip. Is this an exact replacement for the Malaysian TI RC4558P chip used originally by Ibanez on their TS-808 and TS-9 during the early 80´s?

I got the MC4558 CONTEK in a local chinese electronic shop in Panama, Central America. Its getting really hard to get the Texas Instrument RC4558P chip.
You have some fundamental misconceptions about what matters and what does not matter in effects.

It doesn't matter if the chip was made on Thursday in Quebec from silicon made from sand gathered by Icelandic virgins on the evening of a full moon.

What matters is how the chip performs, and the writing on the outside of the chip has only a casual relationship to how it performs.

I suggest you read "The Technology of the Tube Screamer" at geofex.com.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

FlyingZ

I must keep my remaining Malaysia RC4558P because I know they perform better in Orange Squeezers then the new ones do, however I did just pull out about 90 socketed TI RC4558P's from an old mixer. I have yet to try the TI's so I cannot say how they perform, if you want one PM me and I'll mail it to you.

zombiwoof

R.G. and other guys don't think there will be any difference in sound between the various manufacturers of 4558's, but some people think there are slight differences.  One chip may sound a little smoother or grittier than another in a specific circuit.  It is debated all of the time.  As long as it is a 4558 in the correct mounting configuration, it will work in the circuit.  Whether it will sound exactly the same as a certain vintage chip is up to your ears.

By the way, Small Bear has two or three different 4558's if you want to try different ones, just socket the board and swap away.  I'm pretty sure he ships to other countries.

Al

caress

if it does sound different, will it really sound different enough to matter?  ESPECIALLY in a live situation...
in a studio you can make up that 1% difference in sound with one of the other 2-5 things in the path between your instrument and the computer.
in a live situation there are so many other factors that change the way your instrument sounds that the chip in your overdrive isn't going to make a lick of difference.

::) ::) ::)

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

FlyingZ

Personally I don't take the studio seriously, I provide a quality tube amp tone and effects are post. The "indecisiveness" quality I like about the old chip comes from live shows. It sort of adds a lightly distorted tremolo effect that works well with the OS. I tried to use the new chips but they are too linear, if you follow. I did try them in a few Tube Screamers but the stock chips were much better.

caress

Quote from: FlyingZ on May 10, 2010, 11:33:54 PMIt sort of adds a lightly distorted tremolo effect that works well with the OS.

i would like to know how that is possible, because i'm hard pressed to believe that the same make of opamp from a different manufacturer is going to somehow give you a distorted tremolo effect from an overdrive pedal without modifying any other components/values.   :icon_confused:

Quote from: FlyingZ on May 10, 2010, 11:33:54 PMI tried to use the new chips but they are too linear, if you follow.

i understand what linearity and non-linearity are, but i don't follow.  how are they too linear?

R.G.

Quote from: FlyingZ on May 10, 2010, 11:33:54 PM
Personally I don't take the studio seriously, I provide a quality tube amp tone and effects are post. The "indecisiveness" quality I like about the old chip comes from live shows. It sort of adds a lightly distorted tremolo effect that works well with the OS. I tried to use the new chips but they are too linear, if you follow. I did try them in a few Tube Screamers but the stock chips were much better.

It is very likely that there is some quirk or fortunate imperfection about that setup which causes the effect you are hearing.

I don't know what it is, but I doubt that it is the vintage/manufacture of the chip. It's probably something about that particular chip. Chips do age and get quirky, just like people do.  :icon_biggrin: 

On the other hand, if you can nail this down as a real effect, it would be interesting to replicate. The input structure of opamps does vary, and some chips are more tolerant of mild abuse than others. In general, the tolerance gets better with time and design for special circumstances. One example of a real difference in chip design is the LM1458 used in the Dr. Q pedal. Its input structure coped with the odd DC conditions of that circuit better than other opamps. But a small change to the circuit to remove the DC bias abuse and all modern opamps work there.

Finding out what is happening is a much better alternative than going on a holy quest to find magic opamps, in general. One leads to understanding and control. The other leads to mysticism, myth, and mildly-shady dealers taking advantage of the unknowing.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

FlyingZ

It could be that batch of Malaysian chips were ordered with specific tolerances or somehow glitched during manufacturing. Next OS build I will test the TI chips and see if my opinion changes. I gave a TI chip to Jalexquijano maybe he will have an opinion.

MikeH

Quote from: caress on May 10, 2010, 11:09:50 PM
if it does sound different, will it really sound different enough to matter? 

Like soooooo many mods out there, especially on the TS, and especially those that swap opamps, every time I try one I'm left with the same opinion; "Well, yeah, I guess it sounds a little different, but I can't say with any sort of confidence that it sounds any better".
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

StephenGiles

I guarantee that 5 guitarists are each going to make identical pedals with identical components sound different - it's all in the fingers.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

DiamondDog

The obvious reply is yes, I have one. How much are you willing to pay for it?  :icon_evil:
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

kungpow79

Quote from: R.G. on May 09, 2010, 10:25:34 PM
It doesn't matter if the chip was made on Thursday in Quebec from silicon made from sand gathered by Icelandic virgins on the evening of a full moon.
:icon_eek:

But, if it was I bet it would sound damn amazing!   :icon_mrgreen:

Moreover, I think the JRC4558D is generally considered the holy grail TS chip.  I've read they used several chips in the original TS9 and 808s, so who is to say which is right/better/mojo-est

petemoore

I'd like the consistancy of the chip to be the last and least worrisome component, right down there with resistors and stuff.
  Only because they are comparitively very consistant, like equal length cuts made with an end stop.
  What varies all over the map and is rarely even on the map:
  *Source
  *Amplifier
  *Speaker
  *Cabinet
  Play style
  Pickup height
  String guage
  Type of guitar
  *Cable pre-inspections
  Room type/size.
  ...Alone, any one of these fundamental factors [no sound at all without the items marked '*'] dwarfs chip choice, and fascilitate misinterpretation of the role the TS chip plays in TS chip discussions.
  These discussions generally lack...everything...and are based on whacky-test results.
  TS's are dime a dozen, try any other factor including a different box [cabinet, distorter, something different] and you'll certainly notice a bigger difference than whatever is compared to say a JRC4558.
  Clipping diodes, and the cap across them result in discernable or remarkable tone alteration, warranting at least casual mention.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

NQbass7

I'm skeptical of every single "But I really can hear a difference, even if no one else can" claim until I see results from blind tests.

Take the same bottle of wine and pour two glasses and have a taste testing, but tell the person who's tasting that one costs more, and they will consistently tell you that the more expensive one is better, even though they're identical.

The takeaway: if we expect something to be better, it will be better to us.  If you expect your uber-rare op-amp to sound better, it will - even if it's an identical sound wave coming out of your amplifier.

FlyingZ

Quote from: kungpow79 on May 12, 2010, 12:53:57 AM
Moreover, I think the JRC4558D is generally considered the holy grail TS chip.  I've read they used several chips in the original TS9 and 808s, so who is to say which is right/better/mojo-est
The JRC4558D worked well for me in the 808. The stock TA75558P tested obviously better to me then JRC4558D or Malaysia RC4558P in two of my TS9's, I guess that's why they use it...

Tested over-driving tube amps only, I'm not a fan of straight SS distortions.
I have yet to test the TI's and I'm happy with my stuff  :icon_biggrin: so I may put them all up for sale.

zombiwoof

Quote from: FlyingZ on May 12, 2010, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: kungpow79 on May 12, 2010, 12:53:57 AM
Moreover, I think the JRC4558D is generally considered the holy grail TS chip.  I've read they used several chips in the original TS9 and 808s, so who is to say which is right/better/mojo-est
The JRC4558D worked well for me in the 808. The stock TA75558P tested obviously better to me then JRC4558D or Malaysia RC4558P in two of my TS9's, I guess that's why they use it...

Tested over-driving tube amps only, I'm not a fan of straight SS distortions.
I have yet to test the TI's and I'm happy with my stuff  :icon_biggrin: so I may put them all up for sale.

I believe the Malaysia RC4558P is the TI chip.

Al