Do you guys think we should all split big ebay lots?

Started by ExpAnonColin, September 29, 2003, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew

To be honest... I have found my projects to be more successful after I started getting good parts from Mouser, SBE, etc....

New components are hardly expensive, and older ones are unreliable and the tolerances may have changed a great deal, or they may be simply nonworking. Which means it's quite possible to put together a circuit perfectly, with nice solder joints, no bridges, cleaned off the flux, but still have it not work. I've experienced this a LOT of times.

These days I use the double-sided boards from SBE, and the same soldering skills I had years ago, and almost everything I make ends up working on the first go. I don't want to discourage anyone who's on a tight budget- I spent years hacking apart VCRs to put together circuits I found/made up- but I also spent years where 80% of the things I made just plain didn't work.

Oh, and that guy on ebay, "chipforbrains"? Stay away from him, please. I had to dig up the dude's phone number and get him on the phone and threaten him to even get him to refund my money- he never sent what I ordered (a bunch of knobs).

drew

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: drewTo be honest... I have found my projects to be more successful after I started getting good parts from Mouser, SBE, etc....

New components are hardly expensive, and older ones are unreliable and the tolerances may have changed a great deal, or they may be simply nonworking. Which means it's quite possible to put together a circuit perfectly, with nice solder joints, no bridges, cleaned off the flux, but still have it not work. I've experienced this a LOT of times.

These days I use the double-sided boards from SBE, and the same soldering skills I had years ago, and almost everything I make ends up working on the first go. I don't want to discourage anyone who's on a tight budget- I spent years hacking apart VCRs to put together circuits I found/made up- but I also spent years where 80% of the things I made just plain didn't work.

Oh, and that guy on ebay, "chipforbrains"? Stay away from him, please. I had to dig up the dude's phone number and get him on the phone and threaten him to even get him to refund my money- he never sent what I ordered (a bunch of knobs).

drew

I cannot say that I have had any pedals totally not work on me because of bad parts... but I believe most of the auctions are not already used components.  I've bot a few lots of switches, which all turned out well.
Thanks for the tip on chipforbrains.
So we're saying no to the chips.. What about the switches and that one big lot?

-Colin

BillyJ

Aren't Carling switches suppose to have Carling written on them?
I ask because I had bought some from Chipforbrains and they DO NOT say carling on them.
I paid $5 each and of course if they aren't Carlings I can get smaller ones, localy at $4.50 each.
I am kinda pissed but it was long ago and I didn't know then.
Caveat Emptor!!!

David

Colin:

I think I'd like to get in on this action.  Please tell me more...

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: DavidColin:

I think I'd like to get in on this action.  Please tell me more...

Well, I still think we need a more official way to do this, IE a forum or a webpage... but just let me know which auction you all want in on, and we'll bid on it later.

-Colin

eliktronik

Hey guys, I'm looking for a nice set of capacitors to get started, say a few each of some common values from 51pf through 10uf... Whatever you could arrange. I've got a paypal account, so arranging payment should be easy. This is a great idea, thanks!

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: eliktronikAnyone interested in splitting this auction of .1uf caps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2560790612&category=40113&rd=1

I'd rather split an auction of asst. values.. just because it's better to stock up that way.

-Colin

eliktronik

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalist

I'd rather split an auction of asst. values.. just because it's better to stock up that way.

-Colin

Sounds good, I just saw that one ending... Keep us posted. I'll let you know if I see some big lots on ebay.

-Elik

David

When the order gets assembled, I'm interested in some 2n5088 and 89s, and some J201s...  to start.