Cemetery Vibe - 2-stage modded Magnavibe build

Started by strungout, July 07, 2019, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

My last build. My first build with decent graphics!  8)

A soothing demo while you peep: https://soundcloud.com/user-165425177/cemeteryvibedemo/s-D2Jf2

First three parts show the slow Speed setting, backing off the Depth a bit each time. Then four passes at fast Speed setting, increasing the Depth. I think.

Tried t-shirt transfer but it wouldn't stick right... so I bought clear sticker paper. I know, I cheesed it. But it looks decent :P Things aren't aligned. Had to switch the words 'rate' and 'speed' and I thought I had placed them well enough... guess not. then I still need to clearcoat it. Just making sure it really dry. it's still kinda tacky.

So, I basically added a second stage to the Magnavibe and then added switchable 2.2uF caps, to switch the Speed range down. Also used a dual-gang pot to move a second pole in the PSO, which gives a bit more useable Speed range at each settings. I discovered something I liked: making the 100nF coming off the collectors to the LDRs bigger gave more Depth but also a tremolo effect that gets pretty choppy at max Depth. I settled for 150nF. More sounded too exaggerated.

Rolled my own dual vactrol. The LED is a clear HD Blue 10k mdc. The LDRs are 10k light/1M dark. Pierced holes at opposite sides of one end of a piece of 1/4" shrink tubing for the LDR leads. Put them at an angle against the LED put in from the other end. Heated it and pressed the ends of the tubing shut. It worked well enough to test the circuit. It works even better now that it's in the box.

Very satisfied with it!

Think this is the last time I use photobucket. There's gotta be a site that won't splat a big fat watermark on my pictures...
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

bluebunny

Quote from: strungout on July 07, 2019, 09:13:11 PM
Think this is the last time I use photobucket. There's gotta be a site that won't splat a big fat watermark on my pictures...

imgur.com
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".