3D Modelling resources (for layout... or alternatives!)

Started by phector2004, May 30, 2010, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phector2004

Hey everyone,

Building a very cramped 1590A dual FX module, and I've managed to find an unorthodox way to fit everything in. Not the nicest layout but it gets the job done. What I was wondering is if there is any good way to model this in 3D before I make aluminum swiss cheese with the drill? I'm trying to use SketchUp, as prefabbed components like the 1590A are pretty much drag-and-drop, but it's hard finding other components, especially those hard to fit mono 1/4"ers!! >:(

Worst case, I'll use the sharpie + estimation method, seeing how this box is for my eyes only  :icon_lol:

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: phector2004 on May 30, 2010, 11:26:40 AM
Building a very cramped 1590A dual FX module, and I've managed to find an unorthodox way to fit everything in. Not the nicest layout but it gets the job done. What I was wondering is if there is any good way to model this in 3D before I make aluminum swiss cheese with the drill?

Well I measured my fit using the free GIMP (www.gimp.org) software at 300dpi for grid scaling that is 2D only much like Photoshop with layered graphics. For 3D try the free Blender (www.blender.org) software which also gives professional photo-realistic results.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

phector2004

hday

If you want to go WAY into it, you could measure the actual parts you're going to use for the build with calipers and a protractor, and use those numbers to design the hardware in your template. You still have to accurately drill such a tiny enclosure, but you'll still feel some comfort in knowing it should all fit. :P

phector2004

hmmm i was going to go to Home Depot later to get a file to get rid of inner lip on the bottom cover, but calipers would be a good addition to my shopping list  :)

Hopefully i'll post on the 1590A picture thread soon!

bean

Wings3D is an easy to use and free 3D modeling program. Silo3D is not free, but I believe you can get a fully functioning 30 demo of that. I've used both.

Steve Mavronis

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

potul

A good 3D free program is Google Sketchup. And you can find the 3D model for some hammond enclosures.

phector2004

Quote from: potul on May 30, 2010, 03:10:46 PM
A good 3D free program is Google Sketchup. And you can find the 3D model for some hammond enclosures.

It's what I've been using up to now. super easy to use but I can't find the right components i.e. 1/4" Female jacks only have the external part... quite useless if you're trying to place an open type Switchcraft jack. gonna get some calipers as suggested and see what I can do the different programs from there. (Might not even need to mock it up!)