Yet another approach to the BMP design

Started by Mark Hammer, June 01, 2010, 12:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I stumbled onto this at a Japanese site.  Interesting.  Discuss.

jacobyjd

ooooOOOOOOooooo...interesting...

I don't have any comments, really, except that I think I'm going to dedicate one of my small breadboards to always hold a big muff, so I can mess around with all the new and interesting crap that gets posted about it.

There goes the top item on my project list...
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

frank_p

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 01, 2010, 12:58:41 PM
I stumbled onto this at a Japanese site.

How do you find informations like this on sites with different scriptures ?  Like Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc.  Do you use some browser translators ?  Just curious.

Brymus

It looks like a modded BMP for sure the 22uf on the "pre gain" degenerative emitter is probably to help compensate for the low output through the Ge diodes on the first clipping stage and the "gain " on the dual pot allows going for the "creamy dreamer" mod to normal BMP emitter action. (possibly varying between saturation and cut off clipping)
That pre gain set up may work good on Joe's version  :icon_idea:
And it might need the value of the in/out caps raised a hair for my tastes.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Mark Hammer

Quote from: frank_p on June 01, 2010, 01:21:47 PM

How do you find informations like this on sites with different scriptures ?  Like Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc.  Do you use some browser translators ?  Just curious.
Ça prenait pas beaucoup, car il n'etait pas entierement en japonais.  http://stomper.fc2web.com/schematic.html

frank_p

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 01, 2010, 01:38:10 PM
Quote from: frank_p on June 01, 2010, 01:21:47 PM

Ça prenait pas beaucoup, car il n'etait pas entierement en japonais.  http://stomper.fc2web.com/schematic.html

I tought you were speaking Japanese too...  (;

Sorry I am a bit OT.  In the past I used Papera Kun (Firefox tool plug-in) for Japanese sites (with some limited success).  The last times I used it, it was not working very good with the newer versions of Firefox.  There is also Im Translator (which I never used).

It's just that my gut felling is telling me that Asians should have some good infos about effects and also electronics in general...

Thanks Mark. Have a great time.

MikeH

If I'm not mistaken, that 10k dual is a variable "Creamy Dreamer" control.

Also: I'd say with the gain up it will still sound very much like a BMP, but with the gain down, I suspect it will have a very different character that a standard BM with the gain down.  But I think I'm stating the obvious there...
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DougH

Quote from: jacobyjd on June 01, 2010, 01:03:42 PM
ooooOOOOOOooooo...interesting...

I don't have any comments, really, except that I think I'm going to dedicate one of my small breadboards to always hold a big muff, so I can mess around with all the new and interesting crap that gets posted about it.

There goes the top item on my project list...

I finally liberated one of my breadboards from the last BMP experiment. I liked Joe G's stripped down take on it, but it's still just too many parts for me to want to build one. I just built the Anderton "Optimum Fuzz Adapter" comparator fuzz- it has more gain than I could ever use, sustains forever, sounds as good or better than any BMP I've tried so far, and best of all is done with a ridiculously small handful of parts. (I also like the fact that it doesn't need a tone control or any kind of tone-shaping a la LPF's or etc.)

Sorry BMP fans, but I just can't hang...

:icon_wink:

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

petemoore

Ge stage / Si Stage [clipping diodes...figured it they did..lol, I like it.
  The emitters seem a logical enough place to work the gains.
  Interesting use of 10k dual pot for the clipping stages simul-gain-controls, though I think a bit of 'lopsided' resistance [say..add 1k on a switch be interesting also, to make the Ge's or Si's more 'balanced', the 1k switches from the L/side to R/side of dualgang pot.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: TELEFUNKON on June 02, 2010, 01:45:42 AM
Kazuo has been here himself, over seven years ago: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=7830.0
Boy, is THAT a stroll through a bunch of familiar names I haven't seen or heard from in a while:  Bill, Gilles, Ansil, Paul, Arno.  I'm getting a little farklemt, so talk amongst yourselves.

Are any of these folks still here, but using an alias?