Wiring and Soldering RG-174/U mini coax cable to Input Jack and PCB in a BSIAB2

Started by jalexquijano, June 08, 2010, 04:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalexquijano

Can anyone tell me how to strip and wire 2 inches of Belden RG-174/u coax cable to the input jack and PCB in a BSIAB2 guitar pedal?

Should i leave the shield outside and just solder the sole conductor to each end?

Brymus

My "nice" wire strippers didnt have a small enough setting for stripping that small coax.
So I filed down the ends until it would close just enough to strip that small coax without cutting into the center conductors (took about 3 times checking after each filing session)(basically just filed off the ridges on the plier/grippers part at the ends)
I read somewhere the best way to solder the sheilding is to fold it back over the coax and then solder a small piece of wire to it and use it to make the connection to ground.
This works really well for me, instead of stripping enough that I can run the shielding to a ground point,and saves on the amount of coax I use too.
Plus it looks better and is easier to put shrink wrap on for a finished and secure job.
Do note that you only solder one end of the sheilding to ground,you arent using it for an electrical connection.
I usually solder it to the jack's ground and then I only have to solder the center conductor onto the PCB or footswitch.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

jalexquijano

Quote from: Brymus on June 08, 2010, 05:32:15 PM
My "nice" wire strippers didnt have a small enough setting for stripping that small coax.
So I filed down the ends until it would close just enough to strip that small coax without cutting into the center conductors (took about 3 times checking after each filing session)(basically just filed off the ridges on the plier/grippers part at the ends)
I read somewhere the best way to solder the sheilding is to fold it back over the coax and then solder a small piece of wire to it and use it to make the connection to ground.
This works really well for me, instead of stripping enough that I can run the shielding to a ground point,and saves on the amount of coax I use too.
Plus it looks better and is easier to put shrink wrap on for a finished and secure job.
Do note that you only solder one end of the sheilding to ground,you arent using it for an electrical connection.
I usually solder it to the jack's ground and then I only have to solder the center conductor onto the PCB or footswitch.

Let me see if i get the picture clear. First, I cut at least 2 inches of the Belden RG-174/u coaxial wire. Once cut, i strip the outer jacket in both sides and this will leave me with the bare shield and a conductor which is wrapped in plastic.

I will then solder the conductor wrapped in plastic to the PCB and leave the bare shield out or cut such bare shield and in the other end solder the conductor wrapped in plastic to the stereo input jack terminal. WHere do I connect the bare shielded wire from this end?  You should be aware that the terminals of this input jack have stranded wires that goes as follows:

One to the output jack

One to the 3DPDT switch

One to the ground in the PCB