666 Competition

Started by frequencycentral, June 07, 2010, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on August 05, 2010, 03:05:20 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone who took part, it's been really enjoyable and they are all great looking builds. However, there can be only one..................

............but before the one, the unholy trinity that is the top 3, in order posted:

The winner will be announced tomorrow!

These are my picks too.
I would vote for Bre first place ,the top one for second, followed by Joe Hart for 3rd.
But its a tough call glad I dont have to make it.
One could even vote Joe for first if it was based soley on the builders past builds.The only thing that makes me call him 3rd is the bat boost isnt as Evil as the other two entries.
and the Bre build is hands down the most original and evil looking of the bunch.

The Murder One 666 version is very cool,even more so than I imagined it would be.
Nice work (as always) Slade !!!
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Galego

Yay, made it to top 3!  :D

Brymus

Quote from: Galego on August 05, 2010, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on August 05, 2010, 05:46:00 AM
Shipping from Chile to UK...............then some more work..............then shipping to................

That looks awesome.

I think the only people that should complain about the low participation were the ones that submitted something.

I think anyone who frequents this forum has a right to express an opinion.

But given your line of reasoning ,It could have been said "only those who donated the prize would have the right to complain about the low number of entries".

After seeing the quality of the builds entered I am hardly upset I didnt make the deadline,as mine wouldnt have had a chance anyway.
Even had it been finished completely and entered in time.
I just would have liked to seen more builds,I like looking at what others imiginations can produce.

Like I said early on in this thread...I will just revel in the excellence of what others can do where I can't.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D

Brymus

But had the competition been who can find the best artwork to use/steal from the net then well....

My rankings would be different.

tuckster

I thought "who the f* is bre :icon_question:" then I noticed my pedal  :icon_eek:
WOOOOOOPWOOOP I'm part of the holly trinity! Thanks a lot!
But beeing one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse would be much cooler  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

Slade

Well, if you want, you can be fourth right now! :icon_twisted:

tuckster

Quote from: Brymus on August 05, 2010, 04:07:51 PM
But had the competition been who can find the best artwork to use/steal from the net then well....

My rankings would be different.
Mine too but it's not against the rules.
I'm not the greatest artist so I used google. If you look through the whole pictures thread most pedals with "real" pictures (not just lines or circles) got the inspiration from google picture search I think :D
Rick wrote "It can be a clone or an original design. It can be a booster with only one pot, or a super giant pedal, the design and layout is what counts."
So in my opinion it does only matter if the pedal looks like a nightmare. But I don't want to justify myself. Even if the lime squeezer pedal from the pictures thread would have won the competition(wich looks very ccol) it would have been the decision of the judges. If I lose I congratulate the winner and freak out because I have a very cool sounding loser pedal:D

Quote from: Slade on August 05, 2010, 04:37:12 PM
Well, if you want, you can be fourth right now! :icon_twisted:

I dare you :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 15, 2010, 01:40:36 PM
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 07, 2010, 05:26:17 PM

• Your pedal must be 'demonic'

Evil themed scores mucho points. Slade and I hope to be able to judge each on their own merits. Anyone who's work we know who has really 'upped their game' would have a better chance than a 'top' builder who produces 'more of the same' - so known 'top' builders would have to better their own best. Essentially you're competing against yourself. Stunning originality would count for a lot too, so if you produce a ProCo Rat with the 3pdt mounted up the butt of a real dead rat, with flashing red LEDs mounted in the eye sockets and with it's little furry limbs shrouding the pot shafts - you'd be bound to win. But that's my idea so you can't use it.  :icon_mrgreen:

yes, I agree..mounting in a standard box is cliche. then you'd be just judging on who can etch the best picture...hahhahahaaha
always think outside the box

Quackzed

;D
Ah, the DEVIL is in the details...
I had fun checking this thread , though i didn't build anything,i've been looking forward to seeing the different builds.
They all came out really cool, my fav was the skull head one fwiw. and the murder one looks great as well, very bloody and evil looking indeed.  :icon_twisted:
good luck to the remaining contestants, and may GOD have MERCY on your SOULS!!!!!!!!
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Brymus

@ TUCKSTER /jURGEN
"I" think yours IS the best entry hands down.
But that is just IMO...
What counts is what Rick and Slade think.
What you did is far,far harder than just fading a pic and printing it out.
The detail in your etching is superb and the horn tips make it the shizzle REALLY,then you add in the knobs,well...
The only thing I would change about your build is the FS washer,a copper washer would have been much nicer.
Still very sweet build.
I now have an entire folder full of artwork,that I downloaded from the web I agree ,almost everyone uses art they download.
Even mine was taken from the web,But I just used parts and hand drew alot of it (mostly the border and crosses)
I also think Joes is really good,especially knowing what the majority of his pedals look like.

I dont recall ever seeing any of Galego's builds,but the two he entered are excellent,well made and very Pro looking.

I think the toughest part lies ahead for the judges,I dont envy them having to decide a winner.
All 3 are winners IMO,and the entries from 87% were really good too,must have been hard to narrow it down to the 3 they did.
I love the knobs on the cannon build.

Brymus

FWIW this was to be my second entry,the control labeling is gonna be black copper clad etching ala John Lyons and the artwork is going to be done by my friends wife(she is out of town on vacation)
the bypass LED goes in the emblem which was a pain to drill and then countersink for the LED bezel which holds it to the box.
The channel indicators are to be installed in a light bar ala Renegadrian and two different colors will distiguish which channel is active
The hammer tone proved difficult for decals.
Its called Gemini Witch and is a heavily modded BMP cicuit.

Joe Hart

Quote from: Brymus on August 05, 2010, 03:54:40 PM
One could even vote Joe for first if it was based soley on the builders past builds.The only thing that makes me call him 3rd is the bat boost isnt as Evil as the other two entries.

Thanks! I forgot to mention the most evil aspect of my pedal... when you step on it, it sends a letal voltage through your guitar cord!!  So, hopefully, you're not touching the strings!!  :icon_twisted:  Now do I win??
-Joe Hart

mikemaddux

This was a fun thread........We should do it again....
Completed Builds: A lot...

JKowalski

I'd love to participate in one of these. Something less evil next time!

Sometimes I just need some motivation to get movin'. Maybe I should hire someone to give me deadlines and hold me to them for all my projects  :icon_rolleyes:

The entries were greaat by the way. Loved the skull & 3D horns, unique bits! And the prize is wonderfully (as always slade) etched. Wish you all the best for the final prize!

Also it seemed that alot of people were going to enter but didn't have time... dunno if thats slackin' on your part fellas or just too close a deadline (cause it WAS pretty long). Double check that if this comes round again, maybe

tuckster

Quote from: Brymus on August 05, 2010, 05:42:39 PM
@ TUCKSTER /jURGEN
"I" think yours IS the best entry hands down.
But that is just IMO...
What counts is what Rick and Slade think.
What you did is far,far harder than just fading a pic and printing it out.
The detail in your etching is superb and the horn tips make it the shizzle REALLY,then you add in the knobs,well...
The only thing I would change about your build is the FS washer,a copper washer would have been much nicer.
Still very sweet build.
I now have an entire folder full of artwork,that I downloaded from the web I agree ,almost everyone uses art they download.
Even mine was taken from the web,But I just used parts and hand drew alot of it (mostly the border and crosses)
I also think Joes is really good,especially knowing what the majority of his pedals look like.

I dont recall ever seeing any of Galego's builds,but the two he entered are excellent,well made and very Pro looking.

I think the toughest part lies ahead for the judges,I dont envy them having to decide a winner.
All 3 are winners IMO,and the entries from 87% were really good too,must have been hard to narrow it down to the 3 they did.
I love the knobs on the cannon build.

Ok now I understand :D
  • SUPPORTER

Galego

Quote from: Brymus on August 05, 2010, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Galego on August 05, 2010, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral/Slade on August 05, 2010, 05:46:00 AM
Shipping from Chile to UK...............then some more work..............then shipping to................

That looks awesome.

I think the only people that should complain about the low participation were the ones that submitted something.

I think anyone who frequents this forum has a right to express an opinion.

But given your line of reasoning ,It could have been said "only those who donated the prize would have the right to complain about the low number of entries".

After seeing the quality of the builds entered I am hardly upset I didnt make the deadline,as mine wouldnt have had a chance anyway.
Even had it been finished completely and entered in time.
I just would have liked to seen more builds,I like looking at what others imiginations can produce.

Like I said early on in this thread...I will just revel in the excellence of what others can do where I can't.

Maybe i worded it wrong, it's just ironic when someone who could have entered the competition and didn't complains when they were the ones 'responsible' for not being more participation.

It seems like you took some offense to my post, as the next one felt somewhat like an attack, so i'm sorry if my post came out with the wrong tone.

Brymus

jasperoosthoek

The competition is closed and my tunnel diodes haven't even arrived from Latvia :icon_cry:. Must have been demonic intervention (a.k.a. Customs officers)  :icon_evil:.

Anyway, my skills as an artist couldn't have competed to the top three.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

frequencycentral/Slade

There can be only one !!

What we really liked about the winning entry:

• Great etch!
  • The LED ring.
  • The fkg horns!
  • The black PCB.
  • The black interior.
  • The red, black and white wiring.
  • The red insulation pad.
  • The cute little guy stuck to the PCB.

All in all, superb attention to detail. Congratulations to tuckster !!

arma61

Agree!

well done tuckster!!!

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen