Author Topic: Boost is dark/treble loss  (Read 5381 times)

jak83

Boost is dark/treble loss
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
Hello, if this has been answered before, then I apologize.  I'm a complete beginner, and I (sort of) completed my NPN boost project today with the help of some of the tutorials here and the kit sold in the store.  It powers up fine, I get signal, but it's incredibly dark.  When I play through i,t it's as if I've rolled the treble all the way down on my amp.  If anyone else has experienced this, or knows what it might be, I would sincerely appreciate the help.  Thanks.

stratomaster15

Re: Boost is dark/treble loss
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
If you've used all the right components and values and everything's connected right, it could be your settings on your guitar/amp, or your pickups. If it's not and you've completed the boost right, try lowering the value of the input capacitor (0.1 uF film cap) to something like a 0.047 uF cap.

aron

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
No it must be a wiring mistake I think. Somewhere there's signal going to ground. Is it boosting?

jak83

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
It's not boosting, I'm actually getting a little bit of a volume drop as well.  I didn't pick up on that the first time since I was too focused on the treble loss I guess.  Could I have perhaps put the transistor in backwards, or is this maybe just a poor soldering job that's causing it to ground out?

aron

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
Could be both problems. Do you have a multimeter? If so, set to DC and put the black probe on ground and then write down the voltages from each transistor pin with the red probe.

Aron

haha

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
I got the same problem except mine does boost.