What do you guys do with circuits that you didn't like?

Started by jimmybjj, June 10, 2010, 04:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

FlyingZ

I robbed eight or so but now I save them all.
Klon, Dr. Boogey, and a Tube Works Real Tube sucked on my fender tube 100w, Marshall 50w tube, and various SS amps so they sat on the shelf. I recently acquired and rebuilt a Guild Thunderstar 40W tube and on that those three pedals sound absolutely amazing! Funny my favorite tube Screamer sounds lame on the Guild.

I shall never judge a pedal before its time

Paul Marossy

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on June 11, 2010, 12:36:00 PM
I leave them in a pile on my work bench... That way I can show my wife how much money I have wasted cause I don't have a large enough breadboard or a multimeter yet lol. August is my birthday... Crossing my fingers

Big breadboards let you do some complex circuits. I made this big one from a bunch of breadboards that were given to me like 7 years ago.

liquids

Quote from: Paul Marossy on June 11, 2010, 03:22:24 PM
Big breadboards let you do some complex circuits. I made this big one from a bunch of breadboards that were given to me like 7 years ago.

I want one!!!  ;D
Breadboard it!

frequencycentral

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 11, 2010, 10:14:06 AM
One of these is that when I have to choose which component lead becomes the tie-point and which gets wrapped around the tie point (and how many times), the cheaper component is the tie-point.  So, say we have a bipolar transistor, with a resistor from collector to V+ and another from emitter to ground.  The leads from those resistors become the tie points, and the leads from the transistor is bent to reach those tie points and wrapped around them a couple of times.

I never heard of perf'ing like that before. That's not how I perf.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Mark Hammer

Well then how do you do it?  I'm always interested to learn other methods.

Paul:  Are those pots, and their values, selected for the particular circuit on the breadboard, or do you have so many because you have a "universal" assortment of pot values?  And how do you connect the pots to the breadboard?

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 11, 2010, 10:14:06 AM
One of these is that when I have to choose which component lead becomes the tie-point and which gets wrapped around the tie point (and how many times), the cheaper component is the tie-point.
Mark, this seems backwards to me.  I don't have much experience, so maybe I'm missing something.  Why would you rather bend the leads on the component you're more likely to want to use again?

More germane to your example,why not socket the transistor?

stringsthings

i don't believe that i've ever built a circuit that i didn't like

Ronsonic

They go in a Fail-Box full of other stuff that isn't worth messing with but I'd hate to throw out.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

frequencycentral

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 11, 2010, 04:52:38 PM

I just realised - we are talking pad-per-hole (and not padless) are we not? My method for pad-per-hole is to bend the component leads over to form traces, and allow them to just meet up over a pad without twisting them together, using solder to make the connection. I hole the leads in place with my asbestos fingers while I solder. I understand why twisting would be neccesary if it were padless board, but it seems to me extra work for pad-per-hole. I guess we all have our little preferences and peccadilloes........ ;)
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

deadastronaut

Quote from: stringsthings on June 11, 2010, 10:47:32 PM
i don't believe that i've ever built a circuit that i didn't like

give it time.......lol. :icon_biggrin:

mine go into a time space continuum and disappear never to return to my ears again............ :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

arma61

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 12, 2010, 04:47:14 AM

. I hold the leads in place with my asbestos fingers while I solder.

oh yeah, your famous finges !!  :D

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg683930#msg683930

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Mark Hammer

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 12, 2010, 04:47:14 AM

I just realised - we are talking pad-per-hole (and not padless) are we not? My method for pad-per-hole is to bend the component leads over to form traces, and allow them to just meet up over a pad without twisting them together, using solder to make the connection. I hole the leads in place with my asbestos fingers while I solder. I understand why twisting would be neccesary if it were padless board, but it seems to me extra work for pad-per-hole. I guess we all have our little preferences and peccadilloes........ ;)
I was talking "naked" perfboard.  Although some of the non-SmallBear pad per hole stuff I have is often missing pads, or too tarnished to use the way you describe.  The "good stuff" I was able to get from Steve a few years ago, and some nice little boards I get from a place in Toronto more recently DO permit the technique you ascribe to.

These days, a lot of my perfing involves pieces of naked perfboard chopped off a larger board.  Of course, once you remove the parts from a project you didn't like, or that was so badly laid-out it required rebuilding, you end up looking at these small boards and thinking "Hmmm, what could I make with THAT?".

....and that's where the 2-transistor fuzzes come in handy. :icon_mrgreen:

DougH

"Naked perfboard"- yup. That's the way to go IMO. I don't bother with trying to build them to allow disassembly later though. Most electronic parts are a dime a dozen as AFAIC. I always socket IC's and those are the only parts I worry about saving.

I have a small circuit graveyard in a drawer but I haven't added to it in years. I always breadboard stuff first, and have proto-ed many more circuits than I have ever built. (I only had one circuit not transition from the breadboard to the perfboard properly. I never could figure it out and decided it wasn't worth it.) Also, I'm losing interest in building stuff anyway, getting back into making music instead. So I don't build near as much as I used to.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Al Heeley

Quote from: DougH on June 10, 2010, 08:32:59 PM
What do you guys do with circuits that you didn't like?
I don't build it.
Reminds me of trying to get my kids to eat carrots.
"Eat up."
>No, don't like them.
You've never tried them. How can you not like them when you don't know what they taste like?
>I don't like them.
How do you know until it's built?

DougH

That's what the breadboard is for. Prototype it before you build it.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

mac

Let me compare pedals with girls (or boys, depending on your genre or taste).

One wild night you meet a nice blonde and you think "wow, she is hot!",  but after a couple of weeks you get bored, she does not sound so sweet as in the beginning, but you keep her number in your cell phone just in case of need. ;)

And one day at a party you see the girl of your dreams, Florence Flanders... black deep eyes, round sweet face and red long hair... you take a drink and ask her out, and after a few dates suddenly you are in love with her. You merry her for life...Or so you thought.  One day at the office you meet Ana Flange, she radiates joy, you can't take your eyes off her! You invite her to lunch... and begin cheating your wife. You live in the edge, but life has more surprises for you. One day while you are walking your dog, you see a lovely nieghbour at the park, you draw some courage and ask her name: Uma Vickers. Monogamy is not for you! You are very happy with your little harem!

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

stringsthings

Quote from: mac on June 14, 2010, 12:27:49 PM
Let me compare pedals with girls (or boys, depending on your genre or taste).

One wild night you meet a nice blonde and you think "wow, she is hot!",  but after a couple of weeks you get bored, she does not sound so sweet as in the beginning, but you keep her number in your cell phone just in case of need. ;)

And one day at a party you see the girl of your dreams, Florence Flanders... black deep eyes, round sweet face and red long hair... you take a drink and ask her out, and after a few dates suddenly you are in love with her. You merry her for life...Or so you thought.  One day at the office you meet Ana Flange, she radiates joy, you can't take your eyes off her! You invite her to lunch... and begin cheating your wife. You live in the edge, but life has more surprises for you. One day while you are walking your dog, you see a lovely nieghbour at the park, you draw some courage and ask her name: Uma Vickers. Monogamy is not for you! You are very happy with your little harem!

mac

do you enjoy living in a fantasy world?

The Tone God

mac

QuoteI robbed eight or so but now I save them all.
Klon, Dr. Boogey, and a Tube Works Real Tube sucked on my fender tube 100w, Marshall 50w tube, and various SS amps so they sat on the shelf. I recently acquired and rebuilt a Guild Thunderstar 40W tube and on that those three pedals sound absolutely amazing! Funny my favorite tube Screamer sounds lame on the Guild.

I shall never judge a pedal before its time

I agree.
I have a Red Fuzz which I used a lot to push my Laney until I built a Rangemaster. Even though they are different creatures I put the Red Fuzz in the closet. Do not get me wrong, it sounds fine but the Rangemaster has the touch I like. I also tried to sell it.
When I bought a Valve Jr I was needing a booster with treble cut. I remembered the Red Fuzz which turned out to be perfect for the job.

I use the breadboard to try things a lot before building. Fortunately the clean chn of my Laney loves pedals so I'd say that a particular circuit does not suit my style instead of saying it sounds bad.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84