A/DA Flanger retrofit with MN3007

Started by moosapotamus, November 19, 2008, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 18, 2009, 11:12:32 AM
Quote from: carrejans on January 18, 2009, 10:10:00 AM
Yep, I did mean a 3205 (it is a clone from Coolaudio). I know it is a 4096 stage BBD; but was just wondering if the 3207 can be swapped with this one without any modifications. (besides the different footprint)
Probably could be made to work. However the minimum delay time would be very limited. I don't think you could clock a 4096 stage BBD high enough to get a real good flange sound. Chorus, maybe.
BTW, what are the differences soundwise between the 3207 and 3007?
Very little. You would have to compare them side by side to notice very subtle differences.
Dave

With the 4049 buffering in the ADA Flanger clock it into infinity!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

Yes!, let's clock our 3205 at 8.2MHz to get .5ms delay.
Or; we could go w/a 4.1MHz clock for a more pedestrian 1ms delay.
:icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:         :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:           :icon_eek:              :icon_eek:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Thomeeque

Hello guys!

I've gone thru the whole thread but I have not found answer:

Can somebody please confirm, that you have been able to double clock frequency compared to SAD version? In other words, that CD4047 was able to tick at 2.6MHz at TP (~ at 1.3MHz at Q/-Q outs)?

I'm on hunt for proper clock signal generator for MN3007/3207 based "ultra-short" delay (yep, TZF board ;)) and ADA clock is one of my candidates, but I need to know that I'd get at least 1MHz sampling frequency.

Thanks, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Scruffie

Quote from: Thomeeque on June 23, 2010, 09:21:58 AM
Hello guys!

I've gone thru the whole thread but I have not found answer:

Can somebody please confirm, that you have been able to double clock frequency compared to SAD version? In other words, that CD4047 was able to tick at 2.6MHz at TP (~ at 1.3MHz at Q/-Q outs)?

I'm on hunt for proper clock signal generator for MN3007/3207 based "ultra-short" delay (yep, TZF board ;)) and ADA clock is one of my candidates, but I need to know that I'd get at least 1MHz sampling frequency.

Thanks, T.
Is this what you're after? http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72682.msg589262#msg589262

oldschoolanalog

Simple as it gets. 50KHz - 1MHz:
http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/ultraflanger3.jpg
(More) very good reading:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74612.0
You design it (PCB layout too, please).
I'll build & test it.
No problem.  :icon_cool:

PS: This is for the 9V/3007/EM?
Lets move it over to that thread if possible.
Thanks!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Scruffie on June 23, 2010, 09:34:58 AM
Is this what you're after? http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72682.msg589262#msg589262

Hmm, thanks Scruffie, partially yes, but

1) it's not clearly stated at what point was the frequency measured (if TP or Q/-Q) - but it is probably sampling frequency (Q/-Q), otherwise it would be lower then original ADA.

2) If I understand it right, Dave did not try to alter clock circuitry (I think that a wider range might be possible by playing around w/R68, R69, and C29.), so there may be some reserve yet. I would assume that somebody would go "deeper" to get maximum out of his build (I would ;))..? I will buy CD4047 eventually and do my own experiments, but knowing other's experiences could move me forward faster.

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on June 23, 2010, 11:44:14 AM
Simple as it gets. 50KHz - 1MHz:
http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/ultraflanger3.jpg

Yep, this is another candidate but I would believe more to signals generated by 4047 (it provides exact 50% duty cycle thanks to the frequency divider and I expect better sync at Q and -Q outs too), even it is more just assumption then anything else at this moment.

(More) very good reading:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74612.0

Great, thanks!

You design it (PCB layout too, please).
I'll build & test it.
No problem.  :icon_cool:

That's the spirit! :) Thanks!

PS: This is for the 9V/3007/EM?
Lets move it over to that thread if possible.
Thanks!

Yep, it is - here I'm just for my A/DA w MN3x07 related questions :)

Cheers, T.

StephenGiles

Is a 4047 now the holy grail of clock generators? I'm sure EH thought so 30 years ago!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 23, 2010, 01:07:46 PMIs a 4047 now the holy grail of clock generators? I'm sure EH thought so 30 years ago!
Good & simple never goes out of style. :icon_biggrin:
Inexpensive too!
Quote from: Thomeeque on June 23, 2010, 11:48:38 AM1) it's not clearly stated at what point was the frequency measured (if TP or Q/-Q) - but it is probably sampling frequency (Q/-Q), otherwise it would be lower then original ADA.
I always take clock measurements at the BBD. Wearing dry pants, of course.  ;) :icon_lol:
Quote2) If I understand it right, Dave did not try to alter clock circuitry (I think that a wider range might be possible by playing around w/R68, R69, and C29.), so there may be some reserve yet. I would assume that somebody would go "deeper" to get maximum out of his build (I would ;))..? I will buy CD4047 eventually and do my own experiments, but knowing others experiences could move me forward faster.
I didn't touch the original circuitry. I would first try a smaller value for C29 and see what happens.
If I find a 4046 in my stash I'll protoboard the Hollis clock and see how clean it is (duty cycle, etc.) when viewed on a 'scope (later).

12Bass

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on June 23, 2010, 01:29:35 PM... If I find a 4046 in my stash I'll protoboard the Hollis clock and see how clean it is (duty cycle, etc.) when viewed on a 'scope (later).

That would be great!  If possible, perhaps you might compare two buffers with three, to see if there is any advantage.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

StephenGiles

I think when I do another gig, I'll announce that my ADA uses a 4047 clock which is voltage controlled by a 4007 just in case anybody has taken to gin for fear that it's a 4046 :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: