Silicone to Secure Transistors in Sockets?

Started by zombiwoof, June 26, 2010, 01:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

I have the trannies socketed in my Fuzz Face, the leads are bent over to keep the trannies low to the board.  Even though the connections are secure, the trannies wobble a bit in the sockets and I was thinking of applying a bit of silicone to them to keep them from moving around.  Is there any reason to not do this?.  Is there something better to use?.

Thanks.

Gus

The best thing to do is learn to solder quickly, this comes with practice and a good temp controlled iron.  If you know how to solder quickly and well you can remove and replace parts almost as fast as using a socket, without harming the part or the PCB.  I avoid using sockets when ever possible.

The other stuff in the silicone might corrode the wires in the circuit

zombiwoof

Quote from: Gus on June 26, 2010, 01:36:44 PM
The best thing to do is learn to solder quickly, this comes with practice and a good temp controlled iron.  If you know how to solder quickly and well you can remove and replace parts almost as fast as using a socket, without harming the part or the PCB.  I avoid using sockets when ever possible.

The other stuff in the silicone might corrode the wires in the circuit

I know how to solder, I just have sockets in this pedal to allow trying different transistors.  I just want to know if there is some reason to not use the silicone where the transistor fits in the socket.  I don't plan on getting it on any wires.

Al

Mark Hammer

Take an alligator clip and pinch the opt of the leads near the tranny to soak up excess heat.  Tin the ends of the leads just a bit to increase their diameter.  Shove 'em back in the socket.

roseblood11

... or use a bit of hot glue, if you plan to swap the transistors again.

R.G.

Most of the common "RTV" compounds have acetic acid in them - that's the vinegar smell you get when  you use them.

A good recipe to corrode metals - like contacts - is to pour acid on them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Gus

A link for you.  You can solder things in from the top.

http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/p96.pdf

Look up what else is in the silicone.  Check if it will corrode wires.  I did post about corroding wires in my first post

I would expect people to look up what is inside the silicone.  The web makes it so easy.

Google the MSDS of the silicone you might use

R.G.

I did post about corroding wires in my first post
[/quote]
So you did. Sorry I missed that one. You're right!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

zombiwoof

Thanks, that's what I was wondering, if the silicone had anything in it that would be bad for the components.  Hot glue is a good option.  I was trying to think of what to use, and I wanted something that would hold but be temporary in case I wanted to try other trannies in the pedal.  At some point I may solder them in when I'm sure that I'm satisfied, but for now I just want them secured.

Al

earthtonesaudio

How about drill a couple extra holes in the board, bend the transistor so it's flush against the board, and wire-tie it in place?

Or even better, find some p-clips just slightly smaller than the transistor's diameter, and bolt that sucker on.

candidate

Secure the transistor in a spare socket.  Plug that socket into the socket on the board.  Works when swapping ICs too.

dudleydoright

Go to Fry's and get some of the silicone designed for electronics use. Cheap and simple if you must do it this way.

FlyingZ

JKowalski

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 10, 2010, 12:42:41 AM
Hot glue will conduct after time.

Not all "hot glue". As proof, I used hot glue (your standard hot glue stick + gun) to secure a bank of 45 400V capacitors together for a tesla coil where the peak voltage possible across the glue is as high as 17,000 volts. The way it's made though, I'd say the highest voltage across a stretch of the hot glue is probably half of that at least.

But it's certainly possible that some types are.

FlyingZ

A TV repairman told me from his experience a little string will get you in time. No mention of glue brand.

zombiwoof

I was not planning on putting either glue or silicone across components, I was just going to use it to secure each transistor to keep them from moving around.  In other words, it would not cover more than one component at a time, or have any route to conduct between them.  I would also try to not get it across the leads.  I was wondering however if either hot glue or silicone would conduct.  I also was not aware that there is a special electronics silicone, so thanks for that tip.

Thanks,
Al

greaser_au

Hi Al,

just some general comments on silicone rubber from my time in electronics manufacturing:  
One-part RTV (room temperature vulcanising) silicone rubber comes in two main types: acid cure & neutral cure, both rely on atmospheric humidity to trigger the curing process. Acid cure releases acetic acid (vinegar) fumes as it cures. naturally, this is slightly corrosive. I used to mess around with antenna baluns/coax transformers & unplated coax braid used to go green when feedpoints or junction boxes were packed with acid cure.  Acid cure is typically used as window/glass sealant (look for 24 hour cure time or a mention of vinegar smell on the label- and avoid it for electronics).
Neutral cure usually pops up as roof/gutter or concrete sealant with a 72 hour cure time. In practice it's ok to use it after 24 hours but make sure you leave it for 72 hours before putting it in a sealed box. Suggest you get clear RTV if you aren't buying specific electronics-grade stuff to avoid unusual fillers - look for stuff that mentions electrical uses & most importantly says 'non-corrosive' on the label. The 'real thing' for electr[ical|onic] uses is Dow Corning RTV738.
As adhesives go, it has fairly low shear strength, so I  always apply a bead of it,  either under a bit of pressure or wipe a thin film on both surfaces with a toothpick immediately before I apply the bead if I want maximum bond strength.

I read in an old Isaac Asimov science book (X Stands for Unknown) that this whole family of materials is the silicon analogue of common carbon compounds like oil and plastics, & this series of essays goes on to discuss the theoretical chemical possibility of silicon organics - a very interesting read, even after all this time!

david.

petemoore

beam across the Q-tops, stud into perfhole [toothpick framing].
  G-glue for stud-hole, any adhesive for the Q-top and frame corners [beam laid across the transistor, simple/easy, pulls right off, pins them in.
  Let the beam dry to transistors tops, angle the stud into the hole so it's top is pressed */ to the cross-beam.
  * Being end view of beam which touches the / angled stud piece...spring in the toothpick pins it to the beam for drying.
  Teeny bead of Gorilla Glue is easy to keep neat on toothpick tip, wedged into perfhole.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.