News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Lm833n opamp

Started by mhartington, September 18, 2010, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhartington

I finally got around to ordering parts for a pedal that im building only to notice that some of the parts that were in my cart when i started the order, were no longer available or sold out. I managed to replace all the missing components but the site was sold out of LM833n opamps, the one i need. Any suggestions on good replacements for this?

Govmnt_Lacky

Seems like that op amp is comparable to any 4558/5532 style dual op amp. Any reason you want THAT PARTICULAR op amp? Are you trying to build something to spec or refurbing an exsisting pedal?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

mhartington

its for a project that i got going on. Im cloning a tube zone and i got the original from MI audio, and i worked my way back to getting all the parts ill need to build it. Ill have the original to compare it too and ill see if i can improve the circuit. More gain, less compression, stuff like that. i know that the op amps dont make a HUGE difference in the sound but if i can keep that the same, and then switch it out for something different, it'll make the experiment more fun for me. See exactly what the different op amps do to the sound

PRR

The '833's performance is supposed to be similar to NE5532. That's a significantly(?) faster and beefier chip than 4558. The 5534 was designed to fill a need between audio-specific discrete amps and mass-market opamps with dubious audio performance (especially in high-level audio; not so much at pedal level). The 5532 is a dual 5534 with some simplification.

Depending what's its doing, the 4558 may be fine, may sound a little different, or may be unhappy (especially enclosed in a feedback loop tuned to LM833 speed).

And the LM833 is obscure enough that you may wonder if there is some GOOD reason it was used. (OTOH, I've used them just because I had a tube-full.)

If the design is based on LM833, then use LM833. It never caught-on; if LM833 is really scarce, the NE/SE5532 is probably your best bet.
  • SUPPORTER

Scruffie

I'll trade you one if you want (I only have one but it's sat new and unused in a tube).
For any of this - http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=87063.0

mhartington

Quote from: Scruffie on September 18, 2010, 11:43:49 PM
I'll trade you one if you want (I only have one but it's sat new and unused in a tube).
For any of this - http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=87063.0

You have and 833 or a 5532? If you have the 833, yeah ill trade you for it. What would you want for it?

mhartington

I got a Boogie on vero, kind of took it apart and messed around with. If you the schematic for the boogie, you should have no problem putting it back together (just the inputs, outputs, and voltage really, all the pots are still wired. I dont have a rang master but i got a boost called the Crackle boost, pretty solid clean boost. Oh and i have a 12ax7 laying around i think as well