Yet another ' Gilmour in a box' build

Started by Cspig19, August 05, 2023, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cspig19

Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster.
This pedal was a collaboration with a co-worker. It's the first pedal he ever built !!! It took some time and a few different tests to arrive at the finished product, but oh so worth it !!! We started with a cheap Chinese Demonfx King of Drive pedal to gut and steal the enclosure, switches, jacks etc.... While he was doing the 'old school' electronics, I worked on the enclosure which involved stripping the paint and laminating a piece of aluminum flashing on the top to cover the holes we didn't use and to tidy up the appearance....

The Chrome knob side is a modified Skreddy P19, eliminating one transistor..... That feeds into the orange knob side which is a clone of a Colorsound Powerbooster. The slick part of this pedal is he was able to split the input voltage so the P19 side runs on 9V but the Colorsound runs on 18V. Pretty slick !!!.....
He was also happy to share the schematic for anyone wanting to try there hand at building one !!
Pedal sounds even better than it looks !!! He did an AMAZING job, not just for a first pedal, but just in general !!! Not to mention putting up with the ' it's not quite right yet' !!

Jim

amptramp

That looks wonderful and the pad-per-hole design looks great.  One "it's not quite right yet" point is the Baxandall tone controls on the right.  The controls are completely isolated by C5, C9 and C10.  This allows the actual voltage to float up or down or anywhere it pleases because there is no DC path anywhere.  Also, Baxandall circuits depend on a low source impedance, so you could play with eliminating R16.  Maybe it sounds better with the non-ideal response, so if that is the case, carry on with it as it is.

Nice build!

Elijah-Baley

Thanks for sharing it.
But why you eliminated the last transistor stage of the Skreddy P19?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Cspig19

As far as the Bax... circuit goes, the 18 volt schematic shown on-line depicted it that way. That was all I had to go by.
It was a fast fix to several problems to eliminate stage 4 in the pig. I'm only the "tech" ( term used loosely) behind the pedal.
My coworker, said leave it there because it sounds great. From what I heard, it sounded just like I was listening to a Floyd record

bluebunny

Quote from: Cspig19 on August 06, 2023, 11:27:53 PM
leave it there because it sounds great

Not bad advice.  This is rock'n'roll, after all, not medical diagnostics.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
Hum

Cspig19

Way back in my youth I took apart everything thinking I was gonna make something.
Decades later the day finally arrived lol

Cspig19

Does anyone know if you can post a soundclip here  ? I do have a short mp3 of this pedal, but I can't seem to find out how to post a soundclip. Just pics.....

Cspig19

Never posted a soundclip before....Hope this works....

DIY Strat > Pig Pedal > MXR Carbon Copy > '64 Super Reverb

http://sndup.net/zxvt

Ben N

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on August 06, 2023, 12:39:57 PM
Thanks for sharing it.
But why you eliminated the last transistor stage of the Skreddy P19?
At least where both circuits are in line, the last P19 stage is, after all, just a recovery stage that isn't really supposed to be contributing much tone-wise, and arguably redundant to the first stage of the Powerboost. Then again, if I was really doing a mashup of a Muff and a Powerboost, I'd probably dump everything post the third stage of the Muff, including the tone circuit, and just rely on the EQ in the Powerboost.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

On the other hand, it sounds pretty good so leave it as it is
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Cspig19

Thanks for your comments
I thought I'd be on an island with the mods I did, so I appreciate the positive comment. The main reason for dumping the last stage was noise. The first 3 stages were noise free and I figured the gain vs noise in the 4th wasn't worth it. The Pig still has plenty of kick by itself. The pedal as a whole is very quite with a slight hiss with controls maxed out. We still wanted to keep the fuzz section in the CS because it adds options.
I welcome more analysis on the project
Thanks ( 2 satisfied customers)
Just a side note. The 4th stage is installed on the board but rewired to bypass it

Ben N

Quote from: stallik on August 09, 2023, 12:31:39 PM
On the other hand, it sounds pretty good so leave it as it is
There's that!
QuoteThe main reason for dumping the last stage was noise.
Exactly.
  • SUPPORTER

Cspig19

The Original plan for this pedal was to indeed build a  mash up of both those pedals ....into one enclose and switch....... but i started thinking I have other Fuzz and distortion pedals that might benefit running into either a Skreddy style Muff or a Color Sound Power booster by themselves...... Two switches  allows me to shut the Skreddy side off and run say my Fuzz Face ' into' the CS.... or reverse the chain and go CS > FF . The 2 switch pedal is definitely the way to go..... even if they're both on in tandem 95% of the time.....

Thanks for the interest and comments !!......