News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

^ nice! dig that pedal board matrix. I'm in the process of slopping together a bantam jack style switch board for similar reasons. i love the utility builds!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

mfunky

...reminds me, that I forgot to mention what this actually is: It is a patchbox/Buffer Gateway to connect a thick multicore with the amplifier (Input, Send, Return, Footswitches for Reverb, Master Volume Boost (M.V.B.), Boost, Channel select). It contains 4 switchable Klon Buffers for each section of the signal path (Input Buffer, Buffer to Amp, Buffer from Send, Buffer to Return). Depending on the pedals on the pedalboard (buffered/True Bypass), multicore-length (home/stage) and guitar (active/passive), I change the buffers I use (I never use all four, though). Everything is color-coded (Multicore, Jacks on board and amp), so the setup is super easy. I am happy so far but am still looking for a better solution to splice the multicore.

garcho

QuoteKlon Buffers

Is that from AoE?  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

mfunky

vigilante397

I'm not sure if this counts as it's not technically "etched," but I recently built a CNC kit and finally decided I had enough practice to try out engraving an enclosure with it. There are people out there that can get this good of results with ferric or caustic soda, but alas I am not one of those people :P So here it is, my RAT, built "stock" on the Tonepad layout.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

^Nice!  Can you provide a link to the CNC kit you built?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

vigilante397

Quote from: Jdansti on May 21, 2015, 04:32:54 PM
^Nice!  Can you provide a link to the CNC kit you built?

Sure can :)

http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=265

They even dropped the price $10 since I bought it :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Beats the heck out of print and stick on stickers Nathan!  Awesome job!!  MC

Hey, where do you get those nice alum. knobs?

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

vigilante397

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 21, 2015, 04:41:54 PM
Beats the heck out of print and stick on stickers Nathan!  Awesome job!!  MC

It sure does :) That was part of the goal. I actually just used my last sheet of waterslides and have no intention of buying more! 8)

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 21, 2015, 04:41:54 PM
Hey, where do you get those nice alum. knobs?

Hands down my favorite knobs I've ever found, I had them in silver and black. I found them on eBay, loved them and bought out everything the seller had left, and he never restocked :( If anybody knows where I can get more, please tell me!
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

garcho

they look like Kilo Int.'l knobs, are they?

this place: "knob source" is a great resource for discovering knobs you like, or stocking your wares if you're an online store or something (large minimum orders). or radio shack. :P
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

vigilante397

Quote from: garcho on May 22, 2015, 05:40:31 PM
they look like Kilo Int.'l knobs, are they?

I'm not entirely sure. I purchased them on the bay (seller: schrantastic), and if I remember right the guy said he gets them from Japan. It seemed like when I placed my first order there were tons of people selling them, but now I can't find a single one. I see some stuff pretty similar on knobsource, might look into that :) I just loved that they were big enough to be easy to grab but small enough that the pedal didn't seem like there was more knobs than enclosure, and they just look classy 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

rocket8810

hmmm, i have those too, and got them through the bay too. i'll have to check my history to see who i got them from. i know for sure it wasn't the same seller as you. they're definitely one of my favorites too. btw, great job on the etch. i was thinking about doing the same thing, just was going to build a CNC from scratch, rather then a kit. glad to know i'm not so crazy and others are just as nuts to do it.

vigilante397

Quote from: rocket8810 on May 22, 2015, 10:03:49 PM
hmmm, i have those too, and got them through the bay too. i'll have to check my history to see who i got them from. i know for sure it wasn't the same seller as you. they're definitely one of my favorites too. btw, great job on the etch. i was thinking about doing the same thing, just was going to build a CNC from scratch, rather then a kit. glad to know i'm not so crazy and others are just as nuts to do it.

Let me know if you do figure out who you got them from, I would love to stock up!

And with the machine I would definitely say go for it. I have friends that have built them from scratch, and everything set up through the Arduino makes it pretty easy if you have access to power tools etc. to build the frame. Once you have a solid frame built it's just about guide rods, lead screws, and stepper motors/stepper drivers. I saw a guy post an instructable about building one out of plywood and using a dremmel for the spindle, and it looked great! 8)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mustachio

The Rat came out great Nate! That's awesome! What bit and feed rate did you use ? Also what software did you do the design and tool paths in ?

Woo thats awesome to see some more cnc engraved boxes well done man!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

vigilante397

Quote from: Mustachio on May 23, 2015, 09:39:44 PM
The Rat came out great Nate! That's awesome! What bit and feed rate did you use ? Also what software did you do the design and tool paths in ?

Woo thats awesome to see some more cnc engraved boxes well done man!

I've been keeping the feed rate pretty low (200) to make sure it stays where the machine can handle it without skipping steps, I plan to play with it when I get more time (and less projects) to see how fast it can go smoothly. I'm trying to remember which bit I used there. I'm pretty sure it was an LPKF 0.1-0.15mm universal milling bit, which seems to do pretty well with aluminum.

I'm a little embarrassed with the software I used, but I had been searching everywhere for an easy to use program that could do 2D without me having to read a manual or watch a dozen videos, but then I discovered the software I use for PCB layouts (DIP Trace)can also import image files and convert them to vector art for gerber export, then I import the gerber files into CopperCAM to design the toolpaths. I hope to get a bit fancier with that once I've really figured out what I'm doing, but I'm thrilled with the first attempt ;D Sure as hell beats my first time etching with ferric :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 11, 2015, 05:23:55 PM
Getting ready to drop acid...

I've talked about how I use HP presentation paper... you can see the one in the bottom right with no touchup hardly.  (My sanding must have been good on that one).

Plus, you can see the black mask (touchup)-- done with paint pencil.  Nice control, easy....

Finally blue 3M tape is fantastic.  Easy, no cleanup-- no spray paint... etc.

Anyway-- a KLONe, Compressor, and 3 Overdrives getting ready to get dunked.  I've been busy lately......

MC

^This appears to be the exact method I just used (including the presentation paper, 3M tape and black marker) except instead of dunking I just placed a little ferric chloride on top and occasionally foam brushed it. It must not be a bad method since I arrived at it by trial and error before I saw this post LOL.  :icon_biggrin: I already posted in another thread but I'll post the picks here just to be official to the Etched Enclosure thread...

Mustachio

Very elegant design and execution Kary, it came out beautiful! Love the LED placement too.

Nate your using this bit ? http://www.lpkfusa.com/Store/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?cat=11%2f42&cid=42&pid=30

That's super pricey geezus!!

And about the feed rate you said 200, 200 mm per minute ? There are some charts online that show a general ideal feed rate for different tools and materials, they can help take out some of the guess work. You can set the feed rate the spindle speed and the depth per pass depending on the material you will want to adjust those. Well what ever you used there looked good! But keep it in mind when you go to engrave other materials.

I just seen a deal on a 10 pack of 20 degree 0.1mm vbits for 3.99 free shipping.

Again that El Gato is smooooove!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

vigilante397

Quote from: Mustachio on May 25, 2015, 08:09:59 PM
Nate your using this bit ? http://www.lpkfusa.com/Store/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?cat=11%2f42&cid=42&pid=30

That's super pricey geezus!!

Agreed :o I had no idea they were that pricey, I just befriended the TA in the engineering lab at school that operates the CNC machine, and he showed me which bits "nobody really uses and nobody would miss," so I have a set of twelve of the universal milling tools. Maybe I should just sell them :P They do pretty well for milling; they don't get as detailed as a v-bit but they remove more copper, which makes it easier to keep the pads solderable (not a real word?). But the more I use both the more I realize the v-bits are a better option, especially cost/quality ratio.

Quote from: Mustachio on May 25, 2015, 08:09:59 PM
I just seen a deal on a 10 pack of 20 degree 0.1mm vbits for 3.99 free shipping.

PM me the link maybe? ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

cool rat engraving man...came out great 8)

love the cat too..sleek look to it.. 8)

when i was in spain i kept saying 'pobra gato'  meaning 'poor cat'  meaning

i had escaped our annoying cat for 2 weeks... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//