News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pettol

statzern

I keep having issues with FeCl etching under my mask, even though I'm putting nail polish over the toner and tape over that. This one got it way worse than my last one. I think I may be leaving it in the solution too long - like in Deadastronaut's tutorial he just dips it in and takes it out right away. But also, my etch takes about 2-3 min, and I can actually see vapor coming off the enclosure - in other words it's a very vigorous etch. I am wondering if I should try NaOH to slow things down? Perhaps the FeCl is melting the toner because it gets so hot?

vigilante397

Quote from: statzern on July 12, 2015, 10:00:58 AM
I keep having issues with FeCl etching under my mask, even though I'm putting nail polish over the toner and tape over that. This one got it way worse than my last one. I think I may be leaving it in the solution too long - like in Deadastronaut's tutorial he just dips it in and takes it out right away. But also, my etch takes about 2-3 min, and I can actually see vapor coming off the enclosure - in other words it's a very vigorous etch. I am wondering if I should try NaOH to slow things down? Perhaps the FeCl is melting the toner because it gets so hot?

I know you weren't posting this to say "look at my amazing etching job," but frankly it is a killer etching job, way better than anything I ever did with ferric, that's for sure 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: statzern on July 12, 2015, 10:00:58 AM

I have read several times that using "used" FeCl is the key. Right out of the bottle is too strong. Some people use the ferric that is left over after several etches.

Of course, this is just what I read. I have yet to etch a successful enclosure...  :(
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Pettol

Yes, do try NaOH!

Or dilute your acid.

Or try applying your etchant only to selected parts, by using a pipette or a brush. In that way things won't get so hot. 

statzern

Thanks for the recs guys. I will probably separate out my FeCl to start getting a weaker stock than right out of the bottle. But NaOH is still interesting. Will keep posting!

vigilante397

I have been a huge advocate of the RAT and it has been my favorite distortion for quite some time now, but after about my fourth Dr. Boogie build I realized that it was more the sound I wanted, so I had to have one. I came across a beautiful 1590B layout (on accident, I might add) and it turned out brilliantly. And since I used some Chinese characters on my last build I figured it was time for some old Mongolian script. I call this one "Mongol Drive" :icon_twisted:

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mfunky

italianguy63

I surmise Nathan should just about be out of components by now.

A Tayda coupon should be forthcoming!!   :icon_evil:
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

deadastronaut

nice one nathan... 8)

funny i have a dr boogie on bread at the mo, its like revisiting an old good friend.

i never really got on with the tonestack though , so i'm looking at /tinkering/changing/swapping it...

one thing ive defo learnt with distortions........
dirt pedals that sound crap without an amp are great with an amp...
and pedals that sound great without an amp sound crap with one...my thought for the day.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on July 15, 2015, 05:33:46 AM
dirt pedals that sound crap without an amp are great with an amp...
and pedals that sound great without an amp sound crap with one...my thought for the day.. 8)

Thank you, Confucius.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

BLACK AUDIO

Some of my last dirty etches

T-Flex

Getting back in the etching game - first project in 4 years! woohoo! Chorus pedal

It's more fun to compute.

tubelectron

All these are finishes, along with the painted one, that I am unable to make  :icon_sad:

Really good skills, indeed...

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Love that leaded glass window design...nice,..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Pettol

That's just beautiful, T-flex!

rocket8810

Quote from: T-Flex on July 20, 2015, 12:28:54 AM
Getting back in the etching game - first project in 4 years! woohoo! Chorus pedal

wow, just awesome.

mcknib

Righto this one's for Mr MC Italianguy63.

I haven't ventured into etching for a wee while so thought I'd post my latest effort here, as you can see I'm still way too lazy to finely sand it prior to etching. This one was done with caustic soda using a pipette and normal run of the mill photo paper instead of my usual ferric chloride and pnp blue.

I painted it black as you do sanded it off then used enamel paint to add some colour, but I wouldn't recommend it! way too thick and difficult to paint around 'lush' and the flowers as you can see. Mind you I still like the 'handpainted' DIY look it gives.

No knobs for the bigger shafts yet and a rear etch and gut shot just...because...well I'm a sad man! So here it is my lush chorus (mini me / small clone.)

italianguy63

Very Cool Billy!  I dig it!!!

MC   ;D
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad