News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tethinhas

Quote from: duck_arse on September 10, 2015, 11:05:40 AM
Tethinhas - hello and welcome to the forum. your etch looks great, and you get extra points for doing all the sides (but your pictures could be a little smaller).

Thanks for the receptivity! Will take care at the next time!

Quote from: mcknib on September 10, 2015, 03:32:32 PM
Very nice etch all round, the theme looks kinda tribalish in parts are those Brazilian tribal symbols? and Duck_arse is right you've sure got massive hands  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks!
Funny fact: The Majora's Mask was inspired in a brazilian tribe called Marajoaras  :icon_lol:

Quote from: darron on September 10, 2015, 08:18:57 PM
glorious :D

Thanks sir!

Quote from: Hatredman on September 10, 2015, 08:21:03 PM
Sounds like someone from Brazil likes Zelda very much :)

I could not describe a better way  :icon_lol:

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 11, 2015, 04:12:08 AM
Tethinas

nice design man...cool... 8)

tip, before etching, hold your prepared box under a light and you may see
tiny silver dots where the toner missed...dab a little nail varnish on those....
itll come out perfect then...no dots. ..just my 2p..

Thank you for the compliments and the tips!  :icon_mrgreen:
Handmade Custom Effects, Photography, Music, Arch, Videogames and Randomness. Oh, and aliens.

https://www.instagram.com/ferricustomfx/

iq01221

A couple of builds: a rehoused fab delay, a footswitch for a ss amp (no guts,it´s just wires to switches :P ), and a crunch box, modified ;) . https://goo.gl/photos/wGaaVsxQyHqe2oCx6

Cinder

So here are two of the three pedals I promised earlier. Why only two? Well... because I drilled a f***ing 14mm hole for the footswitch on the last one, when the hole need to be 12mm...
Anyway, here is my Big Muff Pi Ram's Head version, I really like the way this one sounds!

And here is my Rat Distortion. Both PCBs are from Fuzzdogs pedal parts. The unmarked switch is for diode clipping on both.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: Cinder on September 13, 2015, 08:10:12 AM
So here are two of the three pedals I promised earlier. Why only two? Well... because I drilled a f***ing 14mm hole for the footswitch on the last one, when the hole need to be 12mm...
Anyway, here is my Big Muff Pi Ram's Head version, I really like the way this one sounds!

I especially like the Ram's Head. Nice etches cinder.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Marcos - Munky

Hatredman

A  washer for your 14 mm hole?
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

ilponiz

Hi everyone,

back after a long time off due to personal reasons.
I'd like to show you some of the pedals I've built.

and yes...she's my tester and official endorser ;)

Marcos - Munky

deadastronaut

love the green leds on that fluffy fuzz..  :icon_wink:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

garcho

Had to rush this one, and first etch in a long time, but I'm happy with it. This is a custom Scotch Bonnet (filtered fuzz) for a friend in Bulgaria. Knob lights up red. The next one is gonna have a red pepper with a green stem and 3 red knobs with a light up green knob. Anyway, the large writing means "The Hot Pepper", the smaller writing is Bulgarian for all the things you write on a pedal: input, volume, etc.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

dbp512

Wow, this is beautiful work. I'm just getting into building pedals, I can't get wrapped up in this now too! Out of curiosity (and tell me if I'm out of line), but would anyone in the US be willing to make a few boxes for me? I was going to order a few drilled/painted enclosures from PPP because I have no means to do any of that myself, but I'd much rather support some of you instead.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ilponiz

lars-musik

How do you sand down an inverse etch without destroying the paint in recesses? I always get this ultra-modern shabby look.... I try to convince myself that I really like it but I'd rather choose.

Here's my newest pedal: A Timmy with an unlabelled switch for a feedback arrangement found here and the internal dip switches externalised.

mfunky

Quote from: lars-musik on September 25, 2015, 05:54:42 AM
How do you sand down an inverse etch without destroying the paint in recesses? I always get this ultra-modern shabby look.... I try to convince myself that I really like it but I'd rather choose.

Here's my newest pedal: A Timmy with an unlabelled switch for a feedback arrangement found here and the internal dip switches externalised.

I actually DO love it! Maybe the switches are a bit too close to the stomp button, I usually dremel 'em down a bit...

For your question: draw a frame around the complete top that works as kind of a guide for the grinding paper...

lars-musik

Quote from: mfunky on September 25, 2015, 06:23:23 AM
Maybe the switches are a bit too close to the stomp button, I usually dremel 'em down a bit...

You shorten the lever with a Dremel? I have to think about that. Admittedly better than the toes!

Quote from: mfunky on September 25, 2015, 06:23:23 AM
For your question: draw a frame around the complete top that works as kind of a guide for the grinding paper...

Yes, I always try that. Somehow, even if I laboriously try to even out the surface, the toner transfer does never really stick to the very outer etch. If I move the frame inwards, I lack the space for the labels. And IF I manage to overcome all the above mentioned obstacles – the sand paper still touches the paint in the recesses. Now that I write it up I realise I HAVE TO like it the way it is.

peterg

lars-musik

Your pedals are awesome!

hymenoptera

Quote from: lars-musik on September 25, 2015, 05:54:42 AM

I haven't etched an enclosure yet, but I've read this entire thread, and I've been doing woodworking, autobody, and various hobby crafts for several decades..

I think that key is using a hard sanding block or ultra-flat sanding surface, such as gluing a sheet of sandpaper down to a pane of glass and rubbing the face of the enclosure back and forth on that super-flat sandpaper surface.

Also, preparation is everything. Start by sanding the surface crazy-flat, even before you begin the transfer. Then for outer border, be sure to touch it up with fingernail polish or whatever you use, so that you've got a nice indexing plane to work from.

Finally, I think getting a deep enough etch is important, because I've seen some photos where people got some ghosting and complained of not burning the image long enough.

Again, I'm not an experienced etcher, but I'm studying up a lot on the subject before I take the big plunge.
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

garcho

QuoteHow do you sand down an inverse etch without destroying the paint in recesses?

you paint it after you sand
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"