News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dminner

Quote from: dbp512 on December 05, 2015, 10:22:22 AM
Dminner, we're not gawking at the electronics inside, just the beautiful etchings. Screw my education, my new priority in life is to get good enough at building to collaborate with you on something. I really don't know which one I like the most, maybe the interstellar, but I do like the signal booster too.

Hey man, if you want a signal booster that can be arranged ;)   Because I kinda want a second one for another rig I have, message me if interested.

GiovannyS10

dminner I loved so much your setup! Niiice!  :icon_twisted:
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

Motherslug

@ dminner, some amazing designs and etches, love it!

here's my latest etch:

edy_wheazel

Mad Professor Snow White

mfunky

Super! My etches are never that deep... How did you do that?

edy_wheazel

Quote from: mfunky on December 08, 2015, 02:44:24 PM
Super! My etches are never that deep... How did you do that?

Typical Fe3Cl2 etching. And some practice. A lot of practice.

lars-musik

That looks really neat!
Quote from: edy_wheazel on December 08, 2015, 03:19:29 PM

Typical Fe3Cl2 etching. And some practice. A lot of practice.

But besides etchant and practice: What kind of mask was this? Do you happen to know temperature and concentration of the ferric chloride?

deadastronaut

great designs dminner , really cool...

p.s was i meant to send you switch measurements for the tremshifter?...

cant remember if it was you!.

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

mfunky

I am wondering - is it possible to achieve such deep etches with NaOH as well? If yes, how (Concentration, Time, Agitation) ? I always follow these instructions: http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching, but my etches always end up more or less flat after painting (even though I only use one layer of black spray paint). Higher concentration? Increase time? Or number of passes?

Let me know - Main reason for not using FE3CL is, that I dont etch PCBs, and dont want more than necessary chemicals at home ...

dminner

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 09, 2015, 03:49:26 AM
great designs dminner , really cool...

p.s was i meant to send you switch measurements for the tremshifter?...

cant remember if it was you!.

Thanks, and YES that was me!  The tremshifter design is pretty bonkers :)  I think you will dig it.

I previously made a pair of enclosures for your abductor delay too...but the abductor delays are MIA at the moment...not sure what there status is....

Quote from: mfunky on December 09, 2015, 03:51:31 AM
I am wondering - is it possible to achieve such deep etches with NaOH as well? If yes, how (Concentration, Time, Agitation) ? I always follow these instructions: http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching, but my etches always end up more or less flat after painting (even though I only use one layer of black spray paint). Higher concentration? Increase time? Or number of passes?

Let me know - Main reason for not using FE3CL is, that I dont etch PCBs, and dont want more than necessary chemicals at home ...

You absolutely can! I do all my etching with NaOH and go deep to allow for 2 color designs. I use roughly 40% solution, minimal agitation, and etch for 45min-1hr. 

deadastronaut

ok, ill sort that out for you....excellent design .. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

edy_wheazel

Quote from: lars-musik on December 08, 2015, 04:03:41 PM
But besides etchant and practice: What kind of mask was this? Do you happen to know temperature and concentration of the ferric chloride?

1 - printe the design on photo paper with a laser printer.
2 - clean the enclosure until it shines, and after that don't touch it with your fingers.
3 - iron the cr*ap out of it. You can see through the paper how the toner transfers to the enclosure.
4 - cover the big black areas with adhesive paper, this way you really gonna have a clean etching.
5 - etch it. I don't know the concentration, "use second hand" and watch the orange bubbles. The bubbles should be slow and lazy at the room temperature. Etch it for 2.5-3 minutes and then wash it, check the depth and the integrity of the toner. Etch it again for 2-3 minutes. It's not an exact formula and it depends on how large is the etching area.

Have fun and good luck! Don't "etch" your clothes/furniture/whatever, this way you avoid troubles with the wife/girlfriend.

dminner

Just finished up etched enclosures for these MASSIVE 1550g monsters!

vigilante397

Quote from: edy_wheazel on December 09, 2015, 04:15:23 PM
Don't "etch" your clothes/furniture/whatever, this way you avoid troubles with the wife/girlfriend.

+1000

Though as a side note me being messy with etching was a big reason why my wife let me buy a CNC machine ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GiovannyS10

dminner i continue admiring your work more and more  :icon_eek:
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

atoff

So, I'm not sure what's going on, but my etches are becoming really messy.  Using caustic soda, it's now taking a really long time, and it eats through the toner.  My first two were just fine, and I haven't changed my process.  But the last two were a mess.
I had to sand this a lot to clean it up to at least presentable... which turned out to look pretty cool.

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on December 10, 2015, 12:43:25 PM
Though as a side note me being messy with etching was a big reason why my wife let me buy a CNC machine ;D

That's a bit cheeky and very, very clever Nathan.  Well-trodden "bloke" strategy.   :icon_biggrin:   Let's just hope no wives or girlfriends are reading this, or else our secret is out...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

hylandren

This is just a test box, but I decided to have fun with it...

Hexjibber

Quote from: hylandren on December 12, 2015, 08:52:21 AM

This is just a test box, but I decided to have fun with it...

Wow that looks awesome man! Very clean indeed and I love the brushed aluminium look, how was that done?

dminner

Wow! That is a beautiful, super clean etch!