SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

Ok, only I'm in B&Q now . Yup, got it
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

deadastronaut

Cool...its great stuff ...

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

stallik

Good timing. I've got a couple of DD's to prepare :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

deadastronaut

Great...yeah i had 5 well rough 1590bbs....not now.

5 metres will last a long time.  Proper thick quality paper..

Have fun..

FiveseveN

Quick question... though this particular experiment took place more than a year ago.
I masked this Al enclosure using laser printer transfer and
> after testing a quick etch (permanent marker as resist) on the back of the cap, which I deemed fine, I used the following technique:
- scrubbed the surface with (plastic) abrasive sponge: needed for transfer;
- after trying my best to remove the paper fibers after transfer, I dabbed the surface with FeCl3 using a sponge, replenishing the reactant constantly.
- even after the time that would be sufficient for etching a PCB I did not observe any significant bevel, but the exposed surface looked like rust, even after a thorough rinse with water.
- sanded the surface with fine sandpaper (1000-ish) and some days after oiled it after I noticed rust forming again. It hasn't rusted thus far.
So this is what turned out: looks to me less like an etch and more like penetration of Fe atoms maybe?

I may have taken that picture enthusiastically before oiling.
What was the question? I've seen deep etches through simple immersion in FeCl3, and the sponge technique is supposed to be more aggressive, so what gives?! Not that I'm complaining, I like the way it turned out, but I'd like to understand the process for the sake of consistency.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Marcos - Munky

Just do the etching process over and over until you get the depth you want. Just remember to wait for the enclosure to cool down when it becames hot or the toner will start to be removed from the enclosure. Also, rinse with water from time to time to remove the metal that's been corroded. I usually do both things at the same time, when the enclosure starts to turn a little bit hot, I rinse it with water.

Btw, your etch looks amazing!

italianguy63

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 22, 2018, 07:55:52 PM
Just do the etching process over and over until you get the depth you want. Just remember to wait for the enclosure to cool down when it becames hot or the toner will start to be removed from the enclosure. Also, rinse with water from time to time to remove the metal that's been corroded. I usually do both things at the same time, when the enclosure starts to turn a little bit hot, I rinse it with water.

Btw, your etch looks amazing!

+1

You just have to develop a technique that works.  I use a mixture of HCL acid...  I found that 2 1/2 minutes is perfect.  So, I do 5 baths of 30 seconds each... between each bath, I rinse with water, and scrub off the "gunk" lightly with a toothbrush between dunks.

When I started, I found I was OVER-etching, and my etches looked dirty (and pitted).  It took some time to figure out where the sweet spot was.

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

My newest contraption---

Custom job/request.

It's a '67 PNP Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (detuned for bass)... feeding into a 3 band EQ... and then finally into a balance DI output.

Came out nice.

(Edit:  That old school 20uF cap looks like an M-80!)

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

Quote from: bluebunny on August 31, 2018, 04:03:33 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on August 30, 2018, 10:16:50 AM
Came out nice.

Sure did.   :icon_cool:

Thanks Marc!  A bit of a wiring nightmare (w/3 main boards).

The over-etch was purposely done.. guy wanted a gritty look to it..

MC

ElectricDruid

Quote from: italianguy63 on August 30, 2018, 10:16:50 AM

Which part is the crazy board that thinks it needs six trimmers?!?

Love the etch. Nice work.

T.

italianguy63

It is the EQ board.. adjusts the frequency and Q for each band.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: italianguy63 on September 01, 2018, 05:58:24 PM

I see! That's a seriously flexible little PCB then! Nice.

T.

italianguy63

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 03, 2018, 03:43:08 PM
Quote from: italianguy63 on September 01, 2018, 05:58:24 PM

I see! That's a seriously flexible little PCB then! Nice.

T.

Yeah--

It came from TH Custom Effects (Germany).  (Edit:  Note some errata in the build docs. if you build one)... Check the work/math.

It is a 3 band EQ-- and depending on what resistors and caps you use, you can set the frequency points and the Q width.

It was what I needed since I needed this pedal Lo-tuned for a bass player.

MC

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Wow, Some really good etchers out there :)
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com

Marcos - Munky

16th build of 2018. Lastgasp Art Laboratories Rattle Crow. I remember this one got some interest back in time, but then it was kinda forgotten. Reverse etch based on the original artwork.

Marcos - Munky

17th build of 2018: Ugly Face, by Tim Escobedo. The sound of this one is just amazing.

EBK

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on September 19, 2018, 05:23:13 PM
17th build of 2018
I'm still hoping to get my third build of the year done.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Marcos - Munky

Well, if I had finished all the builds I've started, I'd been at least on the 30th build of 18 :icon_lol:. This year is being productive, but I'll take a good break after I finish some projects to clear my head a little bit and do other stuff. Maybe 25 it's a cool number.