Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

hes still at it then.....cool.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Ben N

Quote from: duck_arse on March 17, 2020, 10:04:07 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on March 17, 2020, 09:59:14 AM
If I was Rich, I'd be doing crazy things with envelope followers and STOMPLFO chips!   ;D

.... and wrongly ordering thousands of darlington driver chips with no audio uses.
Alright, the man's not here to defend himself. (He's probably having a kipper, then.)
  • SUPPORTER

nickcordle

Love this thread.  These are not my first attempt at all, but some of the first I will accept responsibility for  :o .  NaOH.  Still finding it very hard to achieve much depth before the mask pits and the thin lines get eaten from the sides and disappear entirely.  I think I'm learning that designs must be able to accommodate a bit of glitch.

slashandburn

First etch for a long time, I barely had time to build anything until this lock down and even then to few builds I have completed I've just been lazy and used waterside decals. Turned out okay, just needs some knobs.

It's a Revv G4 clone, big thanks to Iainpunk for his help getting this thing working.

bluebunny

That looks really good, Iain.  Are you going to add any contrast colour in the etched areas, or rely on dramatic side-lighting?  ;)  Either way, it looks great.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

slashandburn

Cheers!  Nah I'll probably just leave it as is. The original plan was to paint the etched areas to have it stand out a bit better but then the lazyness kicked back in.

Sounds alright too! Had realised that for all the different overdrives and fuzz pedals I have I was a bit short on full on metal distortion pedals besides my various attempts at a Dimebag Darrell distortions. This thing should scratch that itch for a short while.

Hexjibber

Hey everyone, hope you're keeping well! Realised I hadn't posted any builds here for a while so here's a recent smattering!

DAM Sonic Titan

DBA Fuzz War

Sunn Model T Preamp

Lovetone Doppelgänger

Marcos - Munky

Wow, even those ones being posted at the etched enclosures topic, it took me a while to believe those are etches! Amazing job!

vigilante397

HEXJIBBER IS BACK!!!!!

Your work has always been among my favorites, glad to see more of it 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

slashandburn

Not so easy to follow hexjibbers astonishing reverse etches, but here's my most recent attempts. finally got these guys (phase90, super fuzz, dod carcosa and yet another Big Muff) boxed up in some relatively nice looking enclosures. Somewhere along the line I've misplaced a backplate so the BMP is working but technically incomplete.

And the obligatory (not so nice looking) guts shot:

antonis

Quote from: slashandburn on May 26, 2020, 02:25:07 PM
and yet another Big Muff

With MIDS..??
(not Big Muff, anymore..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Hexjibber

Quote from: slashandburn on May 26, 2020, 02:25:07 PM
Not so easy to follow hexjibbers astonishing reverse etches, but here's my most recent attempts. finally got these guys (phase90, super fuzz, dod carcosa and yet another Big Muff) boxed up in some relatively nice looking enclosures. Somewhere along the line I've misplaced a backplate so the BMP is working but technically incomplete.

And the obligatory (not so nice looking) guts shot:

These etches look great man, super clean!

slashandburn

Cheers man, I appreciate the kind words. I think I got lucky in the Cheap Toner Cartridge lottery this time.

I'm sure it'd all end in tears if I was attempt anything resembling your Sunn preamp or doppelganger. I've only ever been brave enough twice to try a reverse etch, first time was an absolute disaster. Second attempt was passible (and probably my still my best looking diy enclosure, all these years later) but the sheer amount of work involved was enough to steer me down the dark path towards waterside decals.

Marcos - Munky

I agree, your etches are amazing, Iain. So clean!

If my memory is not failing on me, I did reverse etch 9 times, plus a mix of "regular" etch and reverse on the same design (a big muff based on the original artwork and another one I didn't got the layout to fit the box yet), all for 1590A. They're indeed hard to get a good result, but on the other hand the regular etches are hard to keep clean the parts you don't want to be etched.

Hexjibber

Another couple from me..

Dead End FX Grimafuzz- basically the fuzz bit of the Schumann PLL, sounds mean!

And the 'Aztec Factory' as I have termed it! Never built a Fuzz Factory before, I really like it! Shame it's not for me!  :'(

mcknib

One of Toms rather nice flangers, the only effect I'd never built so built 2 this month and started etching again I like them to look a wee bit old and battered just like me! Just scratched it a tiny bit here and there and sanded off less than I normally do

Nice easy build this one great sounding Flanger

mcknib

And here we have an example of how I like to destroy my etches even sanding off some clearcoat around the switch, lectricfx celeste chorus

I don't know why I like them to look like they've been dragged behind a full throttle Trabant...but I do!

bluebunny

Great looking flanger, Billy.  Yeah, Tom's designs are top notch and very straightforward builds.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

lars-musik

I've been busier than I thought!

deadastronaut

great etches man....been a busy bee..... 8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//