News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Lemonhead

The main photo thread is getting a little crowded, so I thought it was time for a separate thread dedicated to this technique.
These are my first etched enclosures:

Loop switch

Tone Bender mark II

Please share yours!

studiostud

dude.  those look stinkin clean, man.  well done for your first ones!  I'm going to try etching with my next pedal.  Just getting tired of the hassle and cost of decals/adhesive sticker paper.  What etchant did you use?  Ferric Chloride or something else?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

paulyy

Very clean looking. I think I'll try some ecthing on my next pedal. Good job.

Johnny Lemonhead

Quote from: studiostud on July 16, 2010, 01:53:42 AM
dude.  those look stinkin clean, man.  well done for your first ones!  I'm going to try etching with my next pedal.  Just getting tired of the hassle and cost of decals/adhesive sticker paper.  What etchant did you use?  Ferric Chloride or something else?

Thanks!

About the decals - I can definitely relate. As far as results go, while etching is a bit of a hassle by itself, it can lead to better results, IMO.

Yes, I used Ferric Chloride. Masking is extremely important. I used Press and Peel for the graphics, then packaging tape for the sides of the enclosure and nail polish for covering everything else.
One more thing to point out - don't buy a polished enclosure for etching: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85151.0 I learned it the hard way...

Govmnt_Lacky

Those are some gorgeous pedals? Please share your technique cause I would love to get results like that!  :o
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

JKowalski

Quote from: Johnny Lemonhead on July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM
The main photo thread is getting a little crowded, so I thought it was time for a separate thread dedicated to this technique.
Please share yours!

It's much nicer to just go to one thread to see all the new arrivals instead of clicking on 10+ links for every category.

However, I've noticed that whenever these threads start up, people tend to post in both the pictures thread and the "niche" thread - let's treat these as organizational "archives" rather then "new arrival" threads.

jimmybjj

Quote from: JKowalski on July 16, 2010, 04:22:06 PM
Quote from: Johnny Lemonhead on July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM
Please share yours!

It's much nicer to just go to one thread to see all the new arrivals instead of clicking on 10+ links for every category.

However, I've noticed that whenever these threads start up, people tend to post in both the pictures thread and the "niche" thread - let's treat these as organizational "archives" rather then "new arrival" threads.

+1

Steve Mavronis

I was afraid to mess up an enclosure by etching it directly. I etched a thin aluminum laminated panel instead for the top. I envy these beautiful box etches though.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Johnny Lemonhead

Point taken, JKowalski.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 16, 2010, 02:53:03 PM
Those are some gorgeous pedals? Please share your technique cause I would love to get results like that!  :o

Thanks. I followed MarkM's tutorial here http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album24/?g2_page=1
with a couple of changes -  instead of applying black paint and then ironing the Press n' Peel, I first ironed the PnP and then used packaging tape for the sides and nail polish for sealing the top.
My masking phase looks like this:

You want to seal it off really well and fix anything that wasn't transfered right when ironing. I used a toothpick dipped in acetone for removing excess PnP in tight spots. Take your time with this and make sure the mask is ready for etching. The etching took about 20 minutes in Ferric Chloride.
Afterwards, instead of sanding off the mask, I just pealed the tape and rubbed everything off with generous amounts of acetone.

I used free black and white vector graphics so the print would come out smooth and not pixelated.
Good luck :)

Brymus

Yes thats what gives it the clean look as much as your careful work the smooth unpixelated lines.
Superb  :icon_mrgreen:
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

snarblinge

going back a bit now, but just to make the beginners out there a bit more inclined to post. and to up the Pic count on this very wordy pictures thread!!.

First etch, not at all as imagined

Second etch, leaning a lot from the first.

Third and final to this day etch, (despite having a large quantity of Fcl to get through)

b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Wild E

I think if your second try could be anodized blue, purple, or maybe red it might be pretty sweet looking. Maybe some semitransparent lacquer could do what I envision. I like the layout of the uglyface too. The knobs fit the design too.

John Lyons

Yes, I llike those knobs as well for those boxes.
I like the small box actually.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

snarblinge

yeah the second one has gone to another home (sold to feed the habit)

the knobs were a score from work, some ordering error landed us with 50 or so knobs for a crown d-45, written off at stocktake yay for me.

for the bottom of the lake look, i sanded them a little and chucked them in the etchant, uglyface I left them standard, but then that one is a keeper.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

deadastronaut

i etch all my pedals now....just dont rush it....'preparation is everything'...

loads of nail varnish even if it all looks well covered by toner.....no expensive pnp...just cheap gloss paper and a thick toner layer = excellent results.......... :icon_twisted:

i m not keen on paint..it chips..scratches..and then looks terrible after a few monthes of use........
but hey i like the industrial look too.....

etching is permanent..so get it right first time!.

rob.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

mattthegamer463

Quote from: deadastronaut on July 19, 2010, 08:20:09 AM

Not if you've got a belt sander...  :icon_evil:

deadastronaut

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on July 19, 2010, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on July 19, 2010, 08:20:09 AM

Not if you've got a belt sander...  :icon_evil:

lol....some etches are pretty deep though!...probably go through it!...ha ha.. :icon_eek:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

diemilchmann

My first etch: My own Delay!
Not bad for a first one, huh? Used Slade's Multicolor etching tutorial.

metalero30

g.

same technique here,
but with paper magazine