News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcane Analog

If you are going to etch by limiting the solution to a small area you can simply use a sponge or a brush. Both work better than a dropper as you can work the etchant into the area and remove the waste material.

ch1naski

You guys are making it sound too easy...:)
Mockingbird wish me luck.

electrosonic

Finally got a couple of free hours this morning and botched two transfers. Got distracted (twice!) and overheated both transfers.  Damn.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

kupervaser

ch1naski

Well, that's it. I'm going for it. How do you suggest protecting the sides of the enclosure?

kupervaser

Just paint the enclosure black and after it is dry use the sand paper to clean the top for the toner transfer.
I made a walkthrough here
http://www.newtone-online.nl/forum/index.php/topic,6599.msg50736.html#msg50736

It is in Dutch, but follow the pictures and you will get the idea.

ch1naski

What, you think I can't read Dutch? I was just in Solvang a couple months ago.....;)

Arcane Analog

I cannot believe people use paint to protect the enclosure. Just use masking or painters tape and save youself a pile of work and grief. Why would you want to do all of that extra work?

glops

Quote from: Arcane Analog on March 08, 2013, 08:02:52 PM
I cannot believe people use paint to protect the enclosure. Just use masking or painters tape and save youself a pile of work and grief. Why would you want to do all of that extra work?

Painting is probably easier. At least to me, but I would do both and not paint the top of the enclosure and mask the top off. But usually I let the sides burn, as well. Sometimes I paint the inside of the enclosure or use painters tape.

Arcane Analog

How can painting be easier when you have to spray, dry and then sand it off? With tape ypu put it on and pell it of. Zero wait time and zero sanding.

glops

Yeah, actually I agree with you, especially if youre just masking the sides. Sometimes I paint the inside of the box because I usually let the sides burn so there's always some acid that will burn in the enclosure which I try to avoid. But I think my aversion to tape is that when I dont paint inside the enclosure I use painters tape and it always takes so many strips to seal it off. This would easily be remedied by buying wider tape.

Arcane Analog

I use the green painters tape and it only takes one strip to do the whole side of a 125B. It folds over to protect the inside from splashes or the like as well.

ch1naski

I have lots of tape. Not much paint. Seeing as how i have ferric chloride, I'm rolling with that too. I'll do a practice run on my "rock it before you box it" box. I REALLY need to get some laser toner in my old printer....

deadastronaut

+1 on tape...

i use electrical pvc tape around the top edge, then cover with masking tape all around to the base and fold in...

the electrical tape makes a good resist, plus doesn't leave residue and comes off nicely...sod painting the sides , then having to sand it all again...

my prep for boxes.,

sand top only, coarse grade 180, ...iron, nail varnish edges, tape, etch, remove tape, now sand edges 180, then top and sides 400-600 grade,

masking tape sides..spray black(colour) on top..dry, sand top (remove excess paint)  with 'used' 400-600 grade....drill....final buff , clean.... then clearcoat...job done. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

I usually use stikky-backed plastic, like for covering school books. seeing as I don't have a laser printer, I usually have to cut my mask, through the sticky back, with an exacto knife. what a bastard. and I've got two of them to do now.

kupervaser, pardon my saying, but I like how you've made (such) a crappy finish look (so) good.
don't make me draw another line.

Mustachio

Well I just tested Etching with Sodium Hydroxide...

I used MG Chemicals Positive Developer which is a pre mix of sodium hydroxide and deionized water. I don't know the ratio. But I figured I would give it a try. It worked well.

I poured a small amount into a paper dixie cup and applied some to the enclosure after I masked it ( I used blue painters tape on the sides and some sharpie marker around the edges.

Turns out that stuff eats through paper pretty fast. about a minute or 2 after I had applied some and left to wash my hands I came back picked up the cup to put it some place safer with my bare hands and the bottom fell out!

Haha lil splash landed on my right hand nothing major I washed it off. About an hour or 2 later my hand was pretty dry,red,burning. And thats after a lot of water rinse. But ill survive nothing to bad. It might have been from using these old Nitrile gloves for the 100th time they are probably dirty inside and out.

Either way here's my results. I think I can do better Im not protecting the larger masked areas with anything extra and the sodium hydroxide sort of leaked into the paper masking tape. So some things learned and I'm still happy with the results.

When it was first done.

I reworked it a little with some sand paper and a buffer

Drilled and mocked up with components. Forgot to drill the led hole when I took these pics. It is drilled now and has a 3mm orange diffused :) .

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Jdansti

Turned out great!

Don't be surprised if you have some tiny holes in your clothing next time you wash them!

FYI- in the future, have some vinegar (acetic acid) on hand to wash your hands if you get some NaOH on you. :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Arcane Analog

That is a sweet layout/design, Mustachio.

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

ch1naski

Another beautiful etch. I really like the metal on metal look.