SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jwar

Hey guys! I had a few quick questions as I'm constantly researching and trying to perfect my etching skills.

Right now I'm trying to reduce labor and come up with more efficient ways of etching. Some would call it lazy, I would call it innovative. :) Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of a 3d printer to do transfers onto my enclosures in the place of using the standard ironing technique. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this or if it would even work. I'm in the works of (hopefully) getting with someone locally to try it out, but wanted to see if anyone in the DIY community had already attempted it. Sure the printers are expensive, but not really when you take into the cost of lazer printers (which is what I use now).

Also I'm been looking into a solution to using sand paper to remove the film of transfers after my etches. My idea was to build a table with a belt sander in it where I could simply run an enclosure very quickly down a line to take the finish off. Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense or not, but it makes sense in my head. I've also toyed with the idea of finding a chemical to remove the transferred ink.

So the reason I'm looking for "quicker" solutions is that I am running a side business where I etch enclosures for pedal builders. I want it to be more efficient and at the same time look better. I find that sanding enclosures by hand does not always yield the correct results. I do larger runs too and want to find better ways to stream line things.

I've found that using a product called Acid Magic reduces my etch times from 5-6 minutes to under 1 minute per etch. This has saved me literally hours upon hours of waiting, and the enclosures turn out awesome!

So sorry for the long paragraph here. Just looking for experience here. Thanks!

Pettol

Quote from: jwar on May 18, 2013, 11:09:48 AMI've also toyed with the idea of finding a chemical to remove the transferred ink.
Are you talking about removing normal etch masks (toner, pnp, photo spray)? Acetone or ethyl acetate works fine. Or would that be for the 3d printer transfer? I'm sure DMF, DMSO or something similar would work.

davent

^If you want to use a belt sander just flip it over and clamp it in your vice, belt sander has it's own platen/table.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

frusciante89

Hi guys, this is my first pedal:

I love it!  ::)

GoranP

howd'ya clean the black stuff out of the letters?

frusciante89

I'm gonna post a tutorial soon :)

Jdansti

Quote from: frusciante89 on May 25, 2013, 01:39:55 PM

Wow!  If that's your first...  Very nice!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

frusciante89

Yeah it's my first one! But I read all this thread before starting :) btw this is the tutorial... http://jalbum.net/en/create/photo-album/1358790
Hope it helps!

ch1naski

That looks super. Those etched lines look very deep.

How'd you get it so polished?
Mockingbird wish me luck.

Pettol

Nice!
I suppose the polishing wheel and polishing compound were a key to success.

GoranP

Yeah, I believe the black crap got removed during the polishing?

Also, I'd like to know whether it has started oxidizing again? I considered polishing but it seemed like a waste of time since mine always start dulling very soon afterwards. I suppose the clearcoat would dull the "finish"?

frusciante89

Yeah the polishing wheel was definitely the key! anyways it's still very bright (after 1 week)... we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.. by the way do you see only the pics or also the descriptions on the link I posted?

Jdansti

Quote from: GoranP on May 26, 2013, 03:30:53 AM

Yeah, I believe the black crap got removed during the polishing?

Also, I'd like to know whether it has started oxidizing again? I considered polishing but it seemed like a waste of time since mine always start dulling very soon afterwards. I suppose the clearcoat would dull the "finish"?

Yes it will oxidize again without clear coat. Clear coat, properly applied, should not dull the finish. If anything, it will enhance it.  Just make sure that before you apply the clear coat, you wipe it down well with alcohol or acetone to remove any residues. Don't touch it with your fingers after you clean it.  
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on May 25, 2013, 03:11:34 PM
Quote from: frusciante89 on May 25, 2013, 01:39:55 PM

Wow!  If that's your first...  Very nice!  :)

I'm as gobsmacked as John!  Nice etch.  Nice pedal.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

GoranP

Quote from: frusciante89 on May 26, 2013, 06:52:53 AM
by the way do you see only the pics or also the descriptions on the link I posted?

I see the descriptions, just underneath the pictures. It does require scrolling down, though.

garcho

posted this in pictures thread too, but what the hell, it's all ones and zeroes, right?

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

deadastronaut

@frusciante:  cool first etch.. came out brilliant...lots of buffing on that i bet... ;)

@gary...very cool.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"