News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Quote from: Pettol on February 02, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
@Hexjibber - tried your technique on an A box. First it looked like it was working, but all of a sudden the toner just didn't stick anymore. Can you overheat?

That's odd, I haven't had that happen before? Did you leave the iron on top of the enclosure for 30-60 secs to initially bond it before applying pressure in small circular motions? I can only imagine it's something related to the toner perhaps?

therealfindo

therealfindo

My new second-hand amp came with a third-party, chunky, not particularly attractive footswitch - taking too much pedalboard realestate, so I rehoused it:

Pettol

Quote from: Hexjibber on February 03, 2014, 04:32:20 AM
Quote from: Pettol on February 02, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
@Hexjibber - tried your technique on an A box. First it looked like it was working, but all of a sudden the toner just didn't stick anymore. Can you overheat?

That's odd, I haven't had that happen before? Did you leave the iron on top of the enclosure for 30-60 secs to initially bond it before applying pressure in small circular motions? I can only imagine it's something related to the toner perhaps?

Yes I did. It all looked fine at first and I was about to stop heating, but then I decided to follow your tutorial all the way.
Yeah it might be the toner - maybe we have some budget brand installed. Same printer and paper you're using. Oh well,  I'll just try it again.

Hexjibber

Quote from: Pettol on February 04, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
Yes I did. It all looked fine at first and I was about to stop heating, but then I decided to follow your tutorial all the way.
Yeah it might be the toner - maybe we have some budget brand installed. Same printer and paper you're using. Oh well,  I'll just try it again.

How unusual, as I say I've not had it happen before. I can't imagine it would be overheating as I probably had the iron on that recent 1590A build for about 10-15mins. Hope it works out next time!

thelonious

I've had that happen before, Pettol, and I was using budget toner, too. I was using HCl and peroxide at the time, though. Also, sometimes I wonder if it was related to how OCD I was when preparing the enclosure (sanding perfectly flat, being absolutely certain never to touch the top after cleaning with acetone, making sure acetone has evaporated completely before next step, etc.)

Pettol

Good point there thelonious. I'll sand it a bit more.
Really like this to work - those pnp Blue are just ridiculously expensive.

better_info

garcho

I tried Molotov markers for the first time and really dislike them, for my technique. They left a strange residue on the aluminum, and once I clear-coat-ed the enclosure the ink ran and smeared all over. I guess they work well if you carefully fill in etched space but I do mine with a ton of paint and sand off the excess. Basically, the same technique as painting the whole thing except it's targeted. Oil paint markers work great for this but I've only found Sharpie and have way limited colors compared to Molotov's beautiful cornucopia, unfortunately. Oh well, thanks for the tip, it was worth trying, and otherwise, they're great markers, maybe I just need to change my game. Still searching!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Pettol

@garcho: did you try water-based markers? They should be easy to rinse off if needed and shouldn't smear.

peterg

This is my first attempt at etching a box and board. It's a ProCo Rat using Tonepad's La Rata layout.

guitarmageddon

Jdansti

La Rata esta bueno! 

Wish my guts could look that neat!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

snarblinge

I find gel type pens survive rattle can clear coat well, and come in a massive range of colours, you can score a pack of 24 or something here at the dollar store. Also a great source of white
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Maik

My first  etch in 2014
https://app.box.com/s/93xoffnm8739uz4qeuh1
It´s a Chasm Reverb before boxing it...

Jdansti

Terrific etch and artwork!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Maik

Thank you. Yes, I´m a little bit proud of this etch.
But the next will be better!
I found a fluid uv resist that works realy cool...

garcho

Thanks for the tip Snarblinge!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

mikitz

My 5th etch and 4th pedal... A L*vepedal Kalamazoo using Ivlark's awesome layout at tagboardeffects

Since it supposedly sounds like a Klon Centaur, this one has a griffin on it, another mythical creature.
(I have a Brother laser printer... and happy with the results... don't believe the hype!)

The black mark on the left side is my bad... I should have been more careful with nail polish around the outside. Doh!

Finally starting to get tidier with the guts...
If you are wondering, I used an oversized pot for the volume in the top right of the gut shot... trying to get rid of it and it fit.
There is also some sillyness with 3 resistors in parallel in one spot and 2 in series trying to get as close to the posted values as possible just because I could.

Amateur Pedal Maker for myself and friends

Tony Forestiere

Absolutely stunning!  :o I am really blown away!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me