Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Hexjibber

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on March 24, 2014, 12:00:00 AM
I am proud to announce that I am now a member of the enclosure etching club  :D :icon_smile: :icon_biggrin: :D :)

Nice job man! :)

Mustachio

That looks awesome Mike! I thought you etched a few tube pedals way back?

Hey al , In inkscape under path try the trace bitmap option. Illustrator has something similar as well as a magnet tracing tool.

And about the tube guards, you can make your own with some washers spacers and bolts for a couple bucks.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Mustachio on March 25, 2014, 04:49:10 PM
That looks awesome Mike! I thought you etched a few tube pedals way back?

Thanks man. I did etch a few but I was using vinyl decals for the mask. Its effective but really limits the detail+ I don't have a plotter to make the mask myself.

I just ordered some press n peel from small bear and it worked first time 'round
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Mustachio

Ah nice I knew you etched a box before! haha

That press'n peel is nice stuff. What happened to that fancy magazine paper you had, what was the magazine again ?

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Mustachio on March 25, 2014, 07:26:37 PM
Ah nice I knew you etched a box before! haha

That press'n peel is nice stuff. What happened to that fancy magazine paper you had, what was the magazine again ?

Taylor guitars has a magazine called 'Wood and Steel' that works fantastic with etching PCBs. Not so much with enclosures. I'll send you one if you want it.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

mikitz

This is a Timmy v2... just for personal use. Hope you guys don't mind me sharing this.

it is a reverse etch, i messed up the first sanding so I had to do another layer of paint plus a clearcoat after, so the depth isn't really there anymore, but it still works.

layout is from tagboardeffects.blogspot.com

i'd definitely recommend anyone who doesn't mind being on a waiting list for a few months to purchase the pedal directly. it is everything its cracked up to be.
Amateur Pedal Maker for myself and friends

peterg

Quote from: deadastronaut on March 13, 2014, 04:15:58 AM
@giovanni:

what are you using to do your graphics?..

you need to use vector type graphics, (inkscape) exported to pdf to get ''clean unbroken edges''

for a neater etch...

Rob (and/or anyone else who cares to weigh in) - when I print from or export from Inkscape to PDF is get fuzzy edges. Is there a way to clean up the edges before printing or during printing? I have created text and used the filter colour invert to make the text clear/white then create a box with black fill to create the mask. Is there a better way?

GGBB

Quote from: peterg on April 08, 2014, 06:32:28 PM
Rob (and/or anyone else who cares to weigh in) - when I print from or export from Inkscape to PDF is get fuzzy edges. Is there a way to clean up the edges before printing or during printing? I have created text and used the filter colour invert to make the text clear/white then create a box with black fill to create the mask. Is there a better way?

How are you creating the text?  Are you using the text tool in Inkscape?
  • SUPPORTER

jubal81

Gradually getting better at this.

Mustachio

Wow Jub! That turned out great !

peterg

Quote from: GGBB on April 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: peterg on April 08, 2014, 06:32:28 PM

How are you creating the text?  Are you using the text tool in Inkscape?

Yes I am.

GGBB

Hmm... son of a gun.  I just tried it and it appears to be the result of using the invert colour filter.  Use white text over the black background instead of converting black text to white with the invert filter.
  • SUPPORTER

peterg

Thanks Gord. I haven't figured out how to change the font colour on inkscape but I'll look into it.

GGBB

Quote from: peterg on April 08, 2014, 09:23:08 PM
Thanks Gord. I haven't figured out how to change the font colour on inkscape but I'll look into it.

Select the text/text object, then click the colour on the Palette (the coloured squares along the bottom of the Inkscape window).  If you don't see the Palette, Select View->Show/Hide->Palette.
  • SUPPORTER

wildebelor

Quote from: jubal81 on April 08, 2014, 07:26:13 PM

Holy crap man! This is really awesome!
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

glops

bluebunny

Quote from: jubal81 on April 08, 2014, 07:26:13 PM

Gradually?  In this neck of the woods, we call that "immediately".   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

TG Flatline

@jubal81 - Sweet etch dude, love the design too!

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//