SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi there folks!

Here's my tries at etching... damn it's hard. :P
I can't how some people manage to do those super clean etches.
My third was a complete disaster..  :icon_cry: But the last one turned out good, finally!
I've had no luck with ferrit cloride. Tried Cautic Soda on the last one.
Followed the tutorial by DIY guitar effects and it turned out much better.  :icon_biggrin:
The Caustic Soda seemed to not eat away the toner as fast.

Cheers
/ Fredrik
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

mikitz

Hey Freppo, try different paper, that was the key for me anyway. Are you using inkjet photo paper with a laser printer? I found cheap dollar store inkjet photo paper worked the best... doesn't require any soaking at all.
Amateur Pedal Maker for myself and friends

Freppo

Quote from: mikitz on May 28, 2014, 09:23:27 PM
Hey Freppo, try different paper, that was the key for me anyway. Are you using inkjet photo paper with a laser printer? I found cheap dollar store inkjet photo paper worked the best... doesn't require any soaking at all.

Thanks for the tip! I  will try different papers
cheers / Freppo
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Entropic_Dissonance

Quote from: mikitz on May 28, 2014, 09:23:27 PM

Press and Peel Blue works the best, and works with Ferric Chloride, it's pricey but I could never get photo paper to transfer nicely. and this saves a lot of hassle and time. since sanding a failed transfer off get annoying after the eighth time.
spray paint the sides and inside of the box with a cheap flat black paint. (If you sanded it fine enough the paint will sand off with 600 grit with ease)
then use an enamel touch up paint to cover the rest of the exposed areas.
the inside can stay black, this will also prevent shorting.

deadastronaut

it really depends on what paper you have, ive used tesco's home brand glossy forever and it works flawlessly,

just let the box cool a little and peel off..no gunk, no fuss, .YMMV...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

italianguy63

I went through the whole paper hunt fiasco.  Best paper I found for the money is "HP Premium Presentation Paper 120g"

Product #CG988A

Used some today-- look at the etch/my post in the 1590A thread.  I'm defintely getting better at it.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

vigilante397

This is my first (and so far last) etching attempt. Either I'm really bad at this or I made it difficult by using a steel enclosure (footswitch from a Marshall amplifier). Or probably both. Either way, this is my Steel RAT.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Liquitone

That steel Rat looks great! I Used the exact same Marshall switch for a custom '19inch flipster and wanted to use metal letter stamps, but gave up because that steel is really tough. I bet it was difficult to etch as well?

vigilante397

Quote from: Liquitone on June 03, 2014, 05:05:44 AM
That steel Rat looks great! I Used the exact same Marshall switch for a custom '19inch flipster and wanted to use metal letter stamps, but gave up because that steel is really tough. I bet it was difficult to etch as well?

I guess I've never really tried etching aluminum so I have nothing to compare it to (aside from copper clad :icon_rolleyes:) but it definitely took several gallons of ferric with a few dragons heating and aggravating it for several years  :icon_eek:

Does aluminum etch easier than stainless steel? :icon_eek: WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Liquitone

I have never etched before so can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if aluminium will be much easier to etch.

Hexjibber

Quote from: Freppo on May 28, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
Tried Cautic Soda on the last one.
Followed the tutorial by DIY guitar effects and it turned out much better.  :icon_biggrin:
The Caustic Soda seemed to not eat away the toner as fast.

Hey man, glad you had success with caustic soda and my tutorial! That last one looks great, hope to see more etches from you!

Cheers,
Graham

motvej

latest mxr dist+ with clipping diodes mod

deadastronaut

sweet, love your style man... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

TG Flatline

Hexjibber

Quote from: TG Flatline on June 04, 2014, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on June 04, 2014, 03:30:53 AM

+1 Wicked etch!!

++1 (2?) Awesome job man! I think I was going to use that image on one of mine a while ago, old wood block prints are ideal for etches! :)

motvej

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 04, 2014, 03:30:53 AM

I actually can not to get rid of it and find something new, maybe multicolor or smth different
But Albrecht Dürer is on of the most practical to etch)

italianguy63

Quote from: motvej on June 05, 2014, 11:51:13 AM

Which AD woodcut is that?  Familiar, but I can't remember.  Big fan.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

motvej

Quote from: italianguy63 on June 05, 2014, 07:21:21 PM
Quote from: motvej on June 05, 2014, 11:51:13 AM

Which AD woodcut is that?  Familiar, but I can't remember.  Big fan.

MC

it's "apocalypse four horsemen"
the end is near!

Hexjibber

My latest, it's a Super Duper 2 in 1