Couple of questions about breakout box

Started by Mr_Wormwood, January 17, 2016, 11:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Wormwood

im building a breakout box ala  Beavis board.
I have two similar layouts...

It seems pretty straightforward but one problem I have is I'm building in a recycled box and not building upside down as I've seen many done (building in box the traditional way)
When I look at the layout it seems to me that it is from top view (as if you can see through the enclosure) not as if you are looking in from the bottom. Does this mean I will have to more or less reverse all the wiring on the stomp switch?

I am also wondering what the purpose of the toggle is. Is that just for builds that have a toggle in them? I know that one seems like an obvious one but I have rarely built anything that used a toggle and it seems like there is so little to it but I figure if and when a toggle comes into the mix it will probably be more obvious.

My pedal is only partially built and with no wires yet but if need be ill upload a pic of what I have so far...I'm mostly concerned about not wanting to wire the stompswitch one way (bottom view)only to realize it was all supposed to be wired as top view.
Thanks

mth5044

As far as the view of the box, if it's from the top or bottom, isn't going to matter in the case when it comes to the switch. When set up like that, you can rotate the switch 180 degrees and it will still function properly. It is very odd that the maker of that picture would show the inside of the box as if you removed the top section of the pedal. If I were making this using the second picture, I would assume that you were looking at it from the bottom of the enclosure then when it's boxed up, you'd have a mirror image of the finished picture they provide.

Mr_Wormwood

Alright, thanks, I thought that was how the switch worked. That it was the same either way 180 degrees out) but wanted to be sure. I appreciate the advice.
Am I correct that the only reason for the toggle is that if the pedal being tested has a function that toggles, I'd just wire up the sw1 and sw2 as on off for that function?

slacker

Quote from: Mr_Wormwood on January 17, 2016, 12:11:04 PM
Am I correct that the only reason for the toggle is that if the pedal being tested has a function that toggles, I'd just wire up the sw1 and sw2 as on off for that function?

Yeah that's right.

Organtis

I'm interested in why you want a breakout board,  are you hooking this to an arduino or something?

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mr_Wormwood on January 17, 2016, 11:19:15 AM
im building a breakout box ala  Beavis board...
I'm building in a recycled box and not building upside down

If you are already pretty far along, go for it. This article:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/IdeaBox.htm

shows how I did a "right-side-up", gig-friendly prototype environment. Even if you don't go this route, I hope it sparks some ideas.

mth5044

Quote from: Organtis on January 17, 2016, 10:07:24 PM
I'm interested in why you want a breakout board,  are you hooking this to an arduino or something?

You'd use this to test a circuit without having to wire it up in an enclosure. Makes debugging/moding/deciding if it's worth the hassle of boxing up easier.