Echodeck - Quad PT2399 delay/reverb/chorus

Started by ~arph, July 23, 2010, 03:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

I've got a question for ya. You are using pins 3, 9-13 to control the LED and switching IC, then the 8 way voltage divider going into pin 0, and are reporting problems because of fluctuating power conditions.

Would it be more reliable to have a dedicated pin for each button? That way no matter how the power supply is fluctuating, a high and low can be read that won't change? Each button can be set to a digital pin, so say 2-10 are the 8 buttons. That doesn't leave enough pins for the max395 and the 4015, but the max395 datasheet says they can easily be piggybacked. Send the clock, data and cs out of pins 11-13, piggy back one 395 off the other and connect the corresponding LED - button to the same switch in each 395 and... there you go? Would that work better?

Also, did you look at any of the filtering they are doing the BYOC ping-pong delay? I haven't looked yet, but I built one about a year ago and I remember that when the chips are in series, there wasn't any noise. Maybe there will be more hints to better filtering in that schematic.

~arph

Oh yes it is definately possible to use the digital inputs for the buttons (debounce them programattically) and still be able to control the leds and max395. Your solution is the right one. both being serial shift registers you can just shift 16 bits instead of 8.
I chose this way initally because that leaves me with a lot of options. MIDI for instance.. or use digital pots for everything and store favorite settings.

I havent looked at the byoc filtering, will have a look. I uess its the same as all pt2399 based fx filtering out there. two mfb's

regards,

Arnoud

PS. I have a microphone now  ;D

mth5044

Hey ~arph, is this the schematic you used for the downward expander?

and do you know what value you used to get 1:1? I couldn't find any reference to what it would be on the datasheet, because I guess it is variable, depending on the input. If that is the schematic you used, what did you do with the 'rotation pt adj' control? I can't seem to figure out what that even does.

Another question for you, and this seems ridiculous, but I've never actually used an arduino outside of the development board, so what do I still need to hook up to get the chip to work? Just the 5v, or do I need the crystal and all the other stuff?

Thanks! I'm getting close to finishing my schematics/layouts, then it's off the breadboard!

~arph

basically yes.. though I used fixed values for R3,4 and R7,8  for 1:1 you make R6 0 ohms (gnd)

For the arduino, depending on which one you got you only need to power it. If you got a duamilanove, you can power it with 5-15v I believe.. there is a
regulator on board.

No other components required.

Regards,

Arnoud

mth5044

Quote from: ~arph on August 10, 2010, 02:19:45 AM
basically yes.. though I used fixed values for R3,4 and R7,8  for 1:1 you make R6 0 ohms (gnd)

Awesome, thanks!

Quote from: ~arph on August 10, 2010, 02:19:45 AM
For the arduino, depending on which one you got you only need to power it. If you got a duamilanove, you can power it with 5-15v I believe.. there is a
regulator on board.

No other components required.

Regards,

Arnoud

Wait... I can't just take the ATmega chip off the board (I do have the duemilanove) and use the chip alone in the circuit? I really need to get into this arduino thing  >:(

EDIT: Huh, I suppose I can't. This is the last piece of my 'based on Arnoud's Echodeck' delay! I've been doing small boards, with the ins, outs, powers, etc all on a 0.1" grid. Then a larger perf board with all the smaller boards put on, so they would be secure, and wires/solder joints connecting them together. I think the only mods I'm doing are external relay switching, adding a belton reverb (I already have one sitting around, so might as well), and a switchable LFO between the standard and a clari(not) based one. Can't wait! Thanks so much Arnoud!

~arph

You can it you then have a separate crystal and regulator on the board you're going to place it on.. I'm considering this too.

I'm looking forward to see how your design turns out!  The belton is a nice touch (that woudl really give you some cavernous sounds)

~arph

this is what the youtube videos should sound like:

http://www.friedair.com/audio/echodeck1.mp3

Strat(bridge pu) -> echodeck -> Fender hotrod -> mic -> computer

Lenno

Hi Arnoud,
Very cool project!
I stumbled across this forum via the david gilmour gear forum.
I've been looking for a pedal like this for ages! I would defenitely want the boards for this if you decided to make some.
Maybe you could even give a bill of materials and where to get them. Especially for the not so common parts like the head selector buttons. 
How about adding a 'magic eye' indicator? That would look awesome.
I would probably make an echorack version of this. With a plexi front ant lit lettering..
thank you very much for this project!

Len

Brymus

Quote from: ~arph on August 11, 2010, 03:11:18 PM
this is what the youtube videos should sound like:

http://www.friedair.com/audio/echodeck1.mp3

Strat(bridge pu) -> echodeck -> Fender hotrod -> mic -> computer

Wow that sounds really amazing.
You were right the You Tube video wasnt doing it justice,  ;D
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

dmc777

Are you going to release PCB's and BOM for this?

~arph

Tuemmueh

Excellent work, great sound! :o
I'd be also highly interested in a schem an maybe even a pcb.

T.

~arph

Oh boy, half a year since the last post. This thing is still on my radar. I recently accuired the real deal (binson echorec export) it was a malfunctioning unit. After a cap job and some wire replacement it stopped smoking and now it runs fine  ;D

Meanwhile I have been tinkering with the button interface and am ready to replace the arduino I used with a single DIP8 ATTiny85. New feature will be that you can store four preset head states.
I also discovered that most of the noise issues I have come from the mixing stage! So I hope to drop the noise gate in favor of PCB space.  Together with the recent developements on PT2399 noise reduction I have enough material to start on version 2.0. I figure it'll take me another six months again, maybe longer as I have lots of other stuff happening (becoming a dad is one of them).

Stay tuned!

( meanwhile check out my sentinel! :P  I'm sorry if I've bored you with it before..I just feel it deserves some more views)

nordine

Quote from: ~arph on July 18, 2011, 09:27:35 AM
Oh boy, half a year since the last post. This thing is still on my radar. I recently accuired the real deal (binson echorec export) it was a malfunctioning unit. After a cap job and some wire replacement it stopped smoking and now it runs fine  ;D

Meanwhile I have been tinkering with the button interface and am ready to replace the arduino I used with a single DIP8 ATTiny85. New feature will be that you can store four preset head states.
I also discovered that most of the noise issues I have come from the mixing stage! So I hope to drop the noise gate in favor of PCB space.  Together with the recent developements on PT2399 noise reduction I have enough material to start on version 2.0. I figure it'll take me another six months again, maybe longer as I have lots of other stuff happening (becoming a dad is one of them).

yeah!.... ...what would be those?  :icon_eek:

btw, badass sentinel... are you using there just one pt2399?

theundeadelvis

If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

~arph

Search for a recent thread with PT2399 in it.. called something like "how to shhut up your pt2399 based pedals once and for all'

It's still experimental and tere seem to be varying results. But it comes down to this. Tie the delay resistor to digital gnd (pin 4) instead of analog ground and keep pins 3 and 4 disconnected. They are internally connected through a 10R resistor.

Sentinel -> yes a single pt2399 with carefully balanced (max) feedback. Quiet a simple design really, but there are some tricks like DC coupled LFO modulation and unequal caps on pin 8 and 9.

asatbluesboy

Subscribing to this crazy awesomeness.

Thanks a bunch.
:)
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

nordine

Quote from: ~arph on July 19, 2011, 02:21:29 AM
Search for a recent thread with PT2399 in it.. called something like "how to shhut up your pt2399 based pedals once and for all'

It's still experimental and tere seem to be varying results. But it comes down to this. Tie the delay resistor to digital gnd (pin 4) instead of analog ground and keep pins 3 and 4 disconnected. They are internally connected through a 10R resistor.

Sentinel -> yes a single pt2399 with carefully balanced (max) feedback. Quiet a simple design really, but there are some tricks like DC coupled LFO modulation and unequal caps on pin 8 and 9.

Cool shit
I remember proto'ing the rebote for first time... couldnt get enough of nano short delay settings, glad you took that direction
i hear in there some distortion (along with drones) as well, sounds like germs on the feedback path+resistor, i could be wrong tho

btw in that shut up pt2399 thread i posted my experience with that mod... nothing besides the usual occured  ::) but, as i also wrote there, there has to be a convention on what noise are we taking off... because badly filtered rebotes/power sources will probably improve on that mod, i think thats the reason of "mixed results"

~arph

Yes there is some distortion, but that was due to clipping my mic  ;D The drones are what makes this effect so interesting, One of the controls is a 500R delay pot so you can vary the drone frequency.
The noise solution might be of benefit here as the original poster tested it on a sewer pipes build, this (sentinel) is a similar thing.
The noise I have here is the noise that starts when sound goes through and stops when it gets quiet. (also mentioned in that thread I believe)

p_wats

Just subscribed to your Youtube channel, as that Sentinel sounds great! Right up my alley.

Any chance you'll be making that available as a project while we wait for the Echodeck?