Want to Build a Compressor

Started by Schappy, July 13, 2010, 10:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schappy

Im going to build the Ross and compare the two.

Thanks for info.

FlyingZ

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 14, 2010, 01:55:34 PM
So, the "coloring of the tone" that you feel the Boss provides is something you would likely experience with a great many other compressors if they were set for the same amount of compression.
That particular Boss pedal sounds like it's run through 10 buffers even at minimal settings  :icon_neutral:
good luck Schappy

ryanuk

Ive tried the Boss CS2 and CS3 - I definately prefer the CS2. The CS3 was a little sterile.

I believe the CS2, Ibanez CP9, Ross and Dynacomp are all of the same design family but adapted to use different VCAs, and with attack controls. I'm a hobbyist pedal builder so Im prepared to be shot down here!!

I find the Ross and Dynacomp colour your sound a LOT and provide more SQUISH, whereas the Boss and Ibanez pedals have a more useful range of compression but I find are harder to dial in a sound.

On the other forum there is a project for the Demeter Compulator by Bajaman. I built one and highly recommend it. Its my compressor of choice. 2 knobs, optical circuitry, and great great sound. Not as squishy as a ross but easier to use than a boss!

FlyingZ

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 14, 2010, 05:38:14 PM
That particular Boss pedal sounds like it's run through 10 buffers even at minimal settings  :icon_neutral:
I must retract that BS statement :icon_redface: I intended to point out the buffer is very bad for an overdriven or distorted tone.

It is outstanding for very clean rhythm (multiple note picking type) work with sustain under 1/4. In or out with even a smidgen of distortion it is a tone killer.  The OS is the exact opposite.